Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on whether I need a new build

Options
  • 25-10-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

The power supply in my PC has decided to die or blow the fuses in every kettle lead that gets plugged in, which I assume is a PSU issue. So I'm posting from the intel D945GCLF board I bought to mess with a few years ago.

Will a modern power supply be ok with an asrock s939-dual-sata. If so could I get a recommendation of a cheap replacement? The parts aren't worth anything so there's no point in spending serious money on a 6 yr old box.

If not, could someone recommend a build under 3-400 euro (preferably sub 300 unless there's a good reason) with no mouse/keybd/monitor/speaker needed. I have a sharkoon silvation case which I'll probably re-use as a can of compressed air is cheaper than a case. I will be using an hauppauge pvr-150 if that makes a difference for mobo selection. Also, I have 2xIDE dvd+rw that I can use again but if it's easier to get an sata disk drive, that's not a problem. I would like dual monitor support too.

Is it worth spending the extra to get SATA3, USB3, SSD etc.?

This will likely end up being a box dual-booting arch & ubuntu with a virtualbox install of one of XP/2K/98SE for some legacy software - legacy stuff is what was called "multimedia" in the 90s so the speed of virtualised apps isn't an issue. Low noise is more of a consideration than performance as this will be used for internet, live tv playback but not editing (and the odd overnight conversion from mpeg/avi to dvd but not often enough to spend serious money on), LaTeX, development, bittorrent for isos and very little else.

Comments

Advertisement