Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your YT activity?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Yeah there was a massive cull. Even my teeny little channel lost 50 subs.

That said, they're people who haven't logged in in a number of years, so really it's not an actual loss.

What do ppl mean by cull exactely? Like is this youtube itself disabling accounts that haven't been used in years or something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Yeah there was a massive cull. Even my teeny little channel lost 50 subs.

That said, they're people who haven't logged in in a number of years, so really it's not an actual loss.

What do ppl mean by cull exactely? Like is this youtube itself disabling accounts that haven't been used in years or something?

More or less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I almost spend more time looking at the analytics than actually watching videos these days. I can't seem to find anything interesting anymore.Seems as if I've watched ever good video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I used to upload a lot of montages and walkthroughs, I am so lazy now that i just upload trailers and random clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I will never try to monetise anything [..] so long as the footage contained on my channel is gaming related and/or uses music I do not own

Try and get hooked up with one of the many networks out there, as long as you get at least 1k video views a day, you're good to go (excluding copyrighted music ofc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's a strip of black before the brick pattern kicks in for me. Also, it looks like there is something on the right, but I can only see an edge.

On the monetisation front, you'll get offers and things like that from time to time, but I know a guy who had to go through everything he had uploaded and remove any copyright stuff (music and the likes). The network that you can sign to might have deals with certain websites for use of music, but they are strict initially with your uploaded vids. So he had to reupload with allowed music or remove music altogether.

🤪

On above note I went through a month where I seemed to constantly get messages on YouTube from X, Y or Z website/company looking for channels like mine with the offer of monetising them (They get attention, I supposedly get money) and even linked some of the emails here to which some people said it looked legit.

I'd still avoid it purely to be on the safe-side - I'm not one for small print and I'm sure there's downsides to all this - I'd hardly be getting 'money for my hobby' that easily.

Do you have any examples of this? Just want to have a look to make a judgement call now that I am a partner and know what's real and what's bullshít :P
    Thing is I've no idea how all this works on certain resolutions - Going by YouTube BG templates, they seemed to run at the same resolution(ish) that I use on my monitor (Namely, bigger than 1920x1080) - I assume most people have the same or similar but if not (as in, if you have lower) can you take a look at: www.youtube.com/user/RopeDrink

I'd be curious to know if this causes the image to crop / get pushed off screen in any way or look weird...

As what Sabre said, there is a small bit of black padding at the top of the background before the main brick pattern begins. About 70 pixels or so.
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    On the monetisation front, you'll get offers and things like that from time to time, but I know a guy who had to go through everything he had uploaded and remove any copyright stuff (music and the likes). The network that you can sign to might have deals with certain websites for use of music, but they are strict initially with your uploaded vids. So he had to reupload with allowed music or remove music altogether.

Music is a big thing because anything which would have just been a Content ID match and block/monetize, becomes an immediate copyright sanction if you're already claimed it.

It depends on what network you are with as to what you can use. Most networks who accept video-game partners will have the provision to use video game music and soundtracks; and most networks have a music library that you can utilise.

But yes, if you've already used a lot of copyrighted music in your videos, you'll likely have to remove all of them before partnership, which depending on what you do, can be a large portion of your video library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Do you have any examples of this? Just want to have a look to make a judgement call now that I am a partner and know what's real and what's bullshít :P

PM me if you want, I know all the partner companies, and the owners :)

I think the current one is better. Looks very professional :)

Have they taken away the ability to view tags on youtube?

• Advertisement

Yup, last month they did. The tags are still visible in the source code iirc.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Yup, last month they did. The tags are still visible in the source code iirc.

Ah I see that you can :).Any particular reason why they removed the tags though?

To cut down on tag fraud I guess, aka Reply Girls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Tags are still working though, right?

Oh yea, they still work and are still used in whatever algorithms they were before - they're just not as privvy to the public eye anymore.

Advertisement