Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Upgrade predicament.

Options
  • 25-10-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I currently have 4GB of G-Skill Ripjaws which I want to upgrade to 8GB.
    Another 4GB is only €25, but there is the small risk of incompatibility and possible over-clocking limitations with having four sticks that haven't been tested together.
    The 8GB kit is only €20 more, but then I'm stuck with 4GB that I probably wont be able to sell! There's nothing wrong with it, RAM is just so cheap these days.

What would you guys do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If it's the same brand, same speed, with same timings and voltage, you'll be fine. If the RAM works on its own, it'll work with more of the same fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could get the 8GB and you'd have 12GB.

Is the RAM itself actually overclocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Monotype wrote: »
    You could get the 8GB and you'd have 12GB.

Is the RAM itself actually overclocked?

Well at the moment it's in a system with an i5-750 @ 3.2 GHz. 160 * 20 I think. I have tightened the memory timings from CL9 to CL8, previously CL7 (all @ 1.5v). Would like to be able to do the same with all four memory slots occupied.

I'm just really unsure of the situation when it comes to having all four memory clots occupied on a P55 system. Would prefer not having to change the voltage.

You may have to loosen your timings a bit. When you have all slots populated, it tends to put more stress on the memory controller.

Serephucus wrote: »
    You may have to loosen your timings a bit. When you have all slots populated, it tends to put more stress on the memory controller.

Aye, hence the predicament. Would probably just go with the 8GB kit, if I could sell the 4*GB kit I have now on for €20 or so. Not sure if there is a market for it or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Aye, hence the predicament. Would probably just go with the 8GB kit, if I could sell the 4*GB kit I have now on for €20 or so. Not sure if there is a market for it or not
    you'd definately get €20 for it on adverts.ie

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you'd definately get €20 for it on adverts.ie

Really? Must have a look at past sales on there. The kit is €30 new on memoryc. Selling it for €20 would be great. (even though I paid nearly €80 at the time!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Really? Must have a look at past sales on there. The kit is €30 new on memoryc. Selling it for €20 would be great. (even though I paid nearly €80 at the time!!!)
    most people dont look at memoryc though, and even those who do would still make a saving of €10 for good quality RAM that obviously clocks well too.

Have you any thoughts on the following:

Corsair Vengeance 8GB-Kit

and

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB-Kit

Same modules under the hood? Anybody have comments on Corsair?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

The vengance with the tall heat sink may not fit under you cpu cooler if you have something like a noctua dh-14...

Just something to check before you order;)

• Advertisement

I have Dominator RAM in my rig at the moment. Haven't bothered with OCing it - I find it's far too much effort for minimal (if any) gains - but it's happily running, and has been for almost a year. 1600MHz CL8.

dwighet wrote: »
    The vengance with the tall heat sink may not fit under you cpu cooler if you have something like a noctua dh-14...

Just something to check before you order;)

Aye, it's the low-profile modules I am looking for. Tall ones are pointless.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Honestly the difference between 1333 CL9 and 1600 CL7 and everything in between is pretty minimal. In games you might see a 1-3fps increase at most, nothing noticeable. I had 4GB of 1600 CL7 and swapped it out for 8GB of 1333 CL9 and I haven't seen any change at all, and this is on an AMD system. On an intel there will be even less of an effect. You are better off just getting the cheapest 8GB kit you can find and either setting the good kit to run slower or selling it for as much as you can get.

So this if you're ordering from HWVS:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

Or the same from memoryc:
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/8GB_G_Skill_DDR3_PC3_10600_1333MHz_CL9_NT_Series_Desktop_dual_channel_memory_kit-2x4GB_/index.html

deconduo wrote: »
    Honestly the difference between 1333 CL9 and 1600 CL7 and everything in between is pretty minimal. In games you might see a 1-3fps increase at most, nothing noticeable. I had 4GB of 1600 CL7 and swapped it out for 8GB of 1333 CL9 and I haven't seen any change at all, and this is on an AMD system. On an intel there will be even less of an effect. You are better off just getting the cheapest 8GB kit you can find and either setting the good kit to run slower or selling it for as much as you can get.

So this if you're ordering from HWVS:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

Or the same from memoryc:
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/8GB_G_Skill_DDR3_PC3_10600_1333MHz_CL9_NT_Series_Desktop_dual_channel_memory_kit-2x4GB_/index.html

But.... shiney blue heatsinks are blue and shiney!

Advertisement