Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules Squad 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Will there be a test in Sydney, Would it be hard to get tickets if there is

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

astonaidan wrote: »

Na just Melbourne n Gold Coast this time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

astonaidan wrote: »
    No game in Sydney, it was between Gold coast and Sydney for the second test. New stadium won.

Looking forward to this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Another excuse for a kicking the $hit of out each other...!?
    I wont be watching, even if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

jank wrote: »
    Another excuse for a kicking the $hit of out each other...!?
    I wont be watching, even if you paid me.

If you watched the last two years you'll notice they took that out of the game.
    Give it a chance mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Two pretty crazy sports as they are, brought together to form one super-ridiculous made up game. In spite of that I'll still be going to support the team with my tricolour. Any excuse to support Ireland, and to annoy the ultra competitive, sore loser Aussies :)

Will the game sell out do you reckon or should we be ok to buy at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

It might annoy the aussies if they actually cared. I'd say there'll be more Irish in the stadiums than australians.

This game should end, they don't play anything near their best team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

04072511 wrote: »

Will the game sell out do you reckon or should we be ok to buy at the gate?

Only 10k tickets sold as of last Friday so should be no hassle to get walk up tickets. I'd say the queues at ticket booths might be pain though as majority of crowd will be buying on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Only 10k tickets sold as of last Friday so should be no hassle to get walk up tickets. I'd say the queues at ticket booths might be pain though as majority of crowd will be buying on the night.

Not a hope it will be sold out. I got a 40% discount through an AFL membership offer. They are doing their best to sell tickets at any price. 28 bucks for good tickets was a great deal.

The main issue is lack of Aussie interest as they don't pick the best AFL players. It's a mixture of the best players not having any interest and the fact that if you got the 20 best AFL guys in the squad, it would be a complete hiding.

Ireland actually have a great should considering the squad the Aussies will be putting out.

The main issue is lack of Aussie interest as they don't pick the best AFL players. It's a mixture of the best players not having any interest and the fact that if you got the 20 best AFL guys in the squad, it would be a complete hiding.

Didnt they used to always put out their best side in the early years though (late 90's)? I recal the likes of Jim Stynes playing for Australia back then. And in addition the match was 80 minutes back then, instead of the 72 it is now. In spite of this we beat them more often than not in the early days of the revised series.

Now, even though the Aussies dont care anymore, and the match is shorter in length, we tend to lose more often than not. Maybe that shows a decline in standard among the GAA.

To be fair though this time around Ireland have just 1 Dub in the squad, a county that provided 12 all star nominations, so I guess the Aussies aren't the only ones not picking a full strength side this year.

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote:

Didnt they used to always put out their best side in the early years though (late 90's)? I recal the likes of Jim Stynes playing for Australia back then. And in addition the match was 80 minutes back then, instead of the 72 it is now. In spite of this we beat them more often than not in the early days of the revised series.

Now, even though the Aussies dont care anymore, and the match is shorter in length, we tend to lose more often than not. Maybe that shows a decline in standard among the GAA.

To be fair though this time around Ireland have just 1 Dub in the squad, a county that provided 12 all star nominations, so I guess the Aussies aren't the only ones not picking a full strength side this year.

Don't think these matches are any real way to gauge a decline in GAA tbh, too many variables like squads available to each side etc.

The number of Dubs is as much about players making themselves available ro play as anything, with club commitments and personal reasons for not coming to Aus as well, especially after a long, tough season. Plus players are picked based on their suitability to the game format and not just how good they were in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dabbido

Lads,

Where is a good place to go after the game? bunch of us hitting down from Sydney and none of us have been to Melbourne before. I'm thinking somewhere around St. Kilda?

dabbido wrote: »
    Lads,

Where is a good place to go after the game? bunch of us hitting down from Sydney and none of us have been to Melbourne before. I'm thinking somewhere around St. Kilda?

St Kilda, Chapel Street, Brunswick Street would be the main areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

dabbido wrote: »
    Lads,

I was in Melbourne for an international game before and the best place to be is around the city - everone headed to the nearest bar after the game - so I don't think St. Kilda would be the best place to head. The irish team headed to PJ O'Brien's in Southbank (google it) and the place was absolutlely wedged....queues to get into the place but the craic was mighty around the plaza area where there are other places to drink in close promixity. Hope that helps!

Great, thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Heading up to the Gold Coast game next week.

Does anybody know if this game is telivised? Just checked Foxtel there and none of the terrestrial or sports channels are showing it.

Heading up to the Gold Coast game next week.

Does anybody know if this game is telivised? Just checked Foxtel there and none of the terrestrial or sports channels are showing it.

Ten are showing it in Melbourne, not sure about other states.

BOM have issued a severe thunderstorm warning for this evening as well. These warnings tend to be fairly unreliable but probably a good job the roof is gonna be closed in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

An irish mauling brutal game to be honest....stadium looked empty, there will be less of a crowd in the next game.

I was sick so gave away my ticket but i guess the huge dowpour in the couple of hours leading up to the game would have put off 90% of people who were planning on showing up and buying tickets at the gate.

I'm not really sure if the series has any relevance anymore. I can't see it lasting too much longer.

Was at the match last night and felt a bit more like a loacl club game than international . Thing got so boring at one stage that the crowd started doing Mexican Wave rather than watch the match .

There was a couple of bad stupid takles which left one Irish playing having to be stretchered off the pitch .

375541_2473663357987_1144502147_2951427_899140031_n.jpg

383913_2473659117881_1144502147_2951411_717218_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/316976_2473683078480_1144502147_2951506_680259221_n.jpg

Then a big broke out which was just stupid .

Still it was worth a watch .

• Advertisement

Game was crap but we made our own craic, four of us dressied in morphsuits running round the stadium, serious banter!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Did anyone read about what the aussies said about it in the paper the next day?...........................

No? neither did I. They couldn't give a cr ap about this. Think it's on its last legs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Did anyone read about what the aussies said about it in the paper the next day?...........................
    No? neither did I. They couldn't give a cr ap about this. Think it's on its last legs

Agreed, I went to watch it in PJ's (Sydney) - They didn't have it on big screen or had sound on!

If PJ's couldn't care about this game, then I doubt anyone else will

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I'll be there Friday and i'm looking forward to it,flags and other Irish relics just arrived through customs this week after 3 months at sea so they will be on show ;).
    Don't expect much Irish to be there but the tickets aren't seat specific so if there are any Leprechauns present i will join the vicinity :D.
    Come on the Boys!

Gregsor wrote: »
    I'll be there Friday and i'm looking forward to it,flags and other Irish relics just arrived through customs this week after 3 months at sea so they will be on show ;).
    Don't expect much Irish to be there but the tickets aren't seat specific so if there are any Leprechauns present i will join the vicinity :D.
    Come on the Boys!

Don't attempt a mid match or post match pitch invasion like a few apparently did last Friday.

I don;t think people realise you can be fined very heavily over here for enterring the pitch. I guess there were a few hungover WHV people much lighter in the pocket on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

In perth someone was recently fined $5000 for it (cricket)

I remember at Aus Vs Ireland in Brissie (rugby) and seeing some idiot running on the pitch, and being taken out by 3 or 4 heavy security.

They certainly take that pretty seriously here

hussey wrote: »
    In perth someone was recently fined $5000 for it (cricket)

I remember at Aus Vs Ireland in Brissie (rugby) and seeing some idiot running on the pitch, and being taken out by 3 or 4 heavy security.

They certainly take that pretty seriously here

I don't want to quote it as fact as I'm not sure but as Aussie told me there is an automatic $6k fine in certain cities/stadiums/associations for encroaching on the pitch.

It is taken a lot more seriously than at home by all accounts. People should be aware that what they see as a bit of drunken fun could cost then a chunk of cash.

Gregsor wrote: »
    Come on the Boys!

Gregsor if you want to get on Irish Tv n radio on Friday do what i didn't get the chance to do last Friday n Mel.

Write KHL on your flag n tie over edge of balcony. The match is live on TnaG n Hectors saying on 2fm is KHL (Keep Her Lit)

If he sees that on tv he'll have u on the radio on Monday.

Let me know how u go. I'll be keeping an eye out for your flag.

Oh n yeah it's a 6k fine for entering the pitch .

The officials at Aussie stadiums are complete negative banter. Fair enough with the rule about running onto the picth, but f*ck sake what is wrong with people having a bit of fun knocking a light inflatable beachball into the air. The game was rubbish and the crowd were only having a bit of innocent fun and the t0sser took the beachball away from the crowd when it went onto the grass (the part of the oval pitch not being used for the actual match).

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    The officials at Aussie stadiums are complete negative banter. Fair enough with the rule about running onto the picth, but f*ck sake what is wrong with people having a bit of fun knocking a light inflatable beachball into the air. The game was rubbish and the crowd were only having a bit of innocent fun and the t0sser took the beachball away from the crowd when it went onto the grass (the part of the oval pitch not being used for the actual match).

Par for the course in Australia, been at a fair it of cricket and this rule is strictly enforced. Don't blame the officials, blame the rules. If they turn a blind eye, they won't be taken back.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that like most overly zealous rules and guidelines these days, insurance issues are at the heart of it.

Advertisement