Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WCC Seeking to Build a New Carpark

• 25-10-2011 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Waterford City Council are seeking to devlop a new 9000m2 car park at the site of the old gas works. Source Etenders
    Abstract: Waterford City Council are seeking expressions of interest from competent Civil Engineering contractors for the Construction of a 9,000 sq. m approx. carpark including
    - Provision of footpaths, public lighting, security
    - Construction of a vehicular and pedestrian bridge access
    - Construction of a flood defence wall to Johns River
    and all ancillary works.
    With all this extra parking planned lets hope WCC are going listen to and take notice of the countless complaints both on here and on the streets from traders ,business owners and the retaillers assoc that parking charges in the city are way too high and prohibitive for business when compared to other destinations by providing this new car park to the public as free or very low cost parking such as millars marsh once was !

IMO I think a nominal charge of €1.00 or less for a Max of 2 or 3 hours would be very benificial provided it was strictly policed so that parkers did not try an abuse the 2 or 3 hour limit .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Waterford laddy

will the gas work site be "too far" for locals to walk to the shops!
    they will pay the €1.80 charge per hour rather than use car parks a little further away. City Council seem to be fair in their on street Parking prices, its the private owners of car parks who are charging mad money eg. City Square, Quay Car Parks etc.
    Will lower car park charges make a difference to peoples shopping habits? - i doubt it
    But Fair Dues to city council and the City Manager - its all positive and moving forward. The Quays will be fabalouS when the road works are finished, and if there is there will ever be the finance to move the car parks off the quay (meant to be 2015) and turn it to parkland, it will be one of the best riversides in any city in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've said it elsewhere on this forum, Dundrum Shopping Centre offer three hours parking for €2. With the road up there so good now its a no brainer to go up to do big shops there, particularly if you live in south Kilkenny Tipp, and Wexford.

Waterford City Council need to bring down parking charges to entice shoppers. I would favour having 'free parking' weekends once a month, perhaps in conjunction with another promotion run by the retailers association or Chamber of Commerce to entice people in from surrounding towns.

The boat was missed on the Gas Works site. This could have been cleaned up really well about 10-15 years ago with a mixed development of retail and residential, which would have revitalised the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jambo wrote: »
    Waterford City Council are seeking to devlop a new 9000m2 car park at the site of the old gas works. Source Etenders

With all this extra parking planned lets hope WCC are going listen to and take notice of the countless complaints both on here and on the streets from traders ,business owners and the retaillers assoc that parking charges in the city are way too high and prohibitive for business when compared to other destinations by providing this new car park to the public as free or very low cost parking such as millars marsh once was !

IMO I think a nominal charge of €1.00 or less for a Max of 2 or 3 hours would be very benificial provided it was strictly policed so that parkers did not try an abuse the 2 or 3 hour limit .

Good news, would be great if they could have the space to put up some sort of all weather/marqee/covered type thing for events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life goes on

Waterford City Council need to bring down parking charges to entice shoppers. I would favour having 'free parking' weekends once a month, perhaps in conjunction with another promotion run by the retailers association or Chamber of Commerce to entice people in from surrounding towns.

most of the parking in the city is privately owned so city council can do nothing about the price.as for a free parking weekend people working in the city would have all the spaces gone by 9.05am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

most of the parking in the city is privately owned so city council can do nothing about the price.as for a free parking weekend people working in the city would have all the spaces gone by 9.05am

Bolton Street, Millers Marsh and Jenkin's Lane are all City Council owned and hold a significant amount of cars, along with all the street parking around the city. This new facility would obviously add to that.

If I want to run in for a cake in Greer's, a haircut in town, or a TV from the likes of Sherwoods on a quiet Tuesday morning - currently I won't bother as I'll have to pay to leave the car even around Catherine Street or Parnell St. Far easier to nip out to one of the retail parks at the edge of town and park for free. This is driving business away from the city centre.

If you want to get around the potential offer for free parking on designated weekends, put it in place from 10am onwards so the working crowd will hopefully already have parked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Where exactly is this site :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭south

at the back of the wonder inn or across from the water side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

hardybuck wrote: »
    I've said it elsewhere on this forum, Dundrum Shopping Centre offer three hours parking for €2. With the road up there so good now its a no brainer to go up to do big shops there, particularly if you live in south Kilkenny Tipp, and Wexford.

Dundrum :eek:

You'd need a canoe, not a car.

Anyway, there is no point in giving free parking if it then means coming into the city centre and not finding a space because all the free spaces are taken up by people who work in town and part before 9am.

I think its good to make some use of this site (it can easily then be turned into something else if someone has a better idea for the site), and then the CC can lower prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the price of parking should be refundable for shoppers, question is how to make that feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

mike65 wrote: »
    the price of parking should be refundable for shoppers, question is how to make that feasible.

Get a receipt with time and date from the shop, then bring the receipt and the parking ticket thingy to the city council.

Sounds like a lot of hassle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 morebarn

If all, or most of, the city centre retail outlets would agree,then perhaps something like the system used in the Super Value at Military Road would be possible.

i.e. You pay your E1 per hour,leave ticket on dashboard, bring receipt part into the shop, and when you spend above E10 (or any nominal amount), the parking charge is deducted from the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What about first 3 hours for free then every hour after that is an extra euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

fcuk your gasworks car park Ive a horse outside!

pd1977109.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hardybuck wrote: »
    If I want to run in for a cake in Greer's, a haircut in town, or a TV from the likes of Sherwoods on a quiet Tuesday morning - currently I won't bother as I'll have to pay to leave the car even around Catherine Street or Parnell St. Far easier to nip out to one of the retail parks at the edge of town and park for free. This is driving business away from the city centre.

I try and do as much shopping as I can in City Centre even if it means a couple of € in parking, I usually have something else to do in there so combine a couple of them, get yourself a cup of tea and cake in there etc, its very little hassle. If we all spent a lil bit more time in city centre it would add to vitality around the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I hope the council continue with plans to move the carparks off the Quay. I guess this will/would go a long way towards making that happen. The old gasworks site is a site for future development. Alas, Waterford's economy is not at the scale to support the developments we'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

The car park will also be replacing Bolton street as an outdoor concert site.

Advertisement