Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Server to Oracle

Options
  • 25-10-2011 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi,
    Has anyone got any tips for a very experienced SQL Server programmer/administrator moving to Oracle? Any books/resources that would help the transition?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Orafaq.Com is pretty good (though admittedly, I haven't read it in a while).

Are you going for Oracle admin or dev? Big difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Orafaq.Com is pretty good (though admittedly, I haven't read it in a while).

Are you going for Oracle admin or dev? Big difference :)

Thanks.
    Development (...for now. It depends on what I'm needed for in future I guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oracle PL/SQL programming from O'Reilly is a good book. Assuming you are developing in PL/SQL, are you?

One tip I would give you is about this great fear of Oracle. Some kind of aura around it that people just don't want to know about. Lose that fear. It's not really much different from any other piece of software when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it.

Yes, it's horribly complex, yes it has a lot of baggage, but if you can become proficient in it, I am told there is good money to be made (I never made the big bucks because I jumped to academia :( ).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

asktom.oracle.com

- great for specific problems/questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

i used this a lot and it's pretty good.

http://www.techonthenet.com/oracle/

Just be aware that some things in pl/sql are very different to the approach you would take with t-sql. I switch between the two quite a lot and go rusty on whichever one I'm not using.. takes me about a day to get back into the groove of the one I've been away from one for a while!

Download the free copy of TOAD and make sure you solve your tnsnames.ora crap especially if you have multiple versions of oracle client installed before you go any further. That will save you an awful lot of pain long term.

• Advertisement
Advertisement