Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding with a rescue dog.

• 25-10-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Ok, I had always planned on getting a rescue dog, a small one partly as company for my GSD when I was occasional away for a day, partly because, well after getting a pedigree GSD, i felt a little bad about abandoned dogs.

So, last week i went to the pound and took to this wee Terrier type pup. He looked so cute and lonely. I brought him home, well prepared to put the work in with house training and all the rest of it.

Now the training bit as been easy, well a little harder than the GSD, but to be expected with a rescue. Thing is, i cant seem to bond with the little fellow. I simply havent taken to him. There is no issue as such, just that there is no love there.

I dont know what to do, he is just settling in here and coming out of his shell, I would feel terrible bringing him back to that horrible pound.

Advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Keep at it!

I felt exactly the same as you when I got my second dog. I think when you put so much time into the first dog and your bond with that dog is so strong it's hard to think that you will ever feel that way about the new dog.

But the point is that you don't really know this new dog and as you get acquainted with him and his personality and as he becomes more involved in your life then your bond with him will grow.

5 years later I could never be without my second dog now even though it took me so long to bond with her and I felt so guilty about it at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Give it a while.I adopted a second dog a few months ago. in the first few wks I felt no attachment but gradually I've gotten as attached to him as to my first dog,which I never imagined possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Toulouse wrote: »
    Keep at it!

I felt exactly the same as you when I got my second dog. I think when you put so much time into the first dog and your bond with that dog is so strong it's hard to think that you will ever feel that way about the new dog.

Thanks, i think you are right. The other night i let him out for his pee, he went straight for my other dogs bed and peed in it (as dogs do) My other dog is just about the biggest German Shepard at 60kgs but he just looked at him.
    I know its strange, but i took that rather personally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Thanks, i think you are right. The other night i let him out for his pee, he went straight for my other dogs bed and peed in it (as dogs do) My other dog is just about the biggest German Shepard at 60kgs but he just looked at him.
    I know its strange, but i took that rather personally!

Oh the terrier personality - very different to a GS! The peeing thing - hes trying to show dominance over your other dog - dont worry about that too much - they will need to sort out their own pecking order and once they do peace will reign.

i rescued my fella almost a year ago to the day - a westie - a companion for my female. for the first few weeks i really wondered what the hell i was thinking of. he bullied my female incessantly, he ripped up the garden, chewed everything!!

it took a while to 'fall in love' but now I adore him, he's so silly and lovable and he gets on great now with my other dog.

I realised he hadnt had a lot of training before I got him so I had to put a lot of time into that - you've obviously trained your GSD so I'm sure you'll be fine. just remember that the terriers are stubborn breeds!

Oh and btw - congrats on rescuing - I'd be interested in your updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Definitely give it time. When I got my older dog 4 years ago, it was a few months after my original dog had died and I was heartbroken, I really only got him so soon because I was living on my own out the country and felt a bit scared without a dog in the house. I took me a good few months to really bond and to fall in love with him and tell him 'I love you' (come on, we all tell our dogs 'I love you' .....right??), he was a dote from the start but very destructive (separation anxiety) and I did have some other probs with him but one day I looked at his face and realised I totally loved him, the little sod!

We got a second dog 8 months ago and again, it took a while (but not as long) to bond and to love her, again we had issues with whining, barking and toilet but we persevered and now we wouldn't be without her, the little madam (despite the extra food, extra vet bills, extra dog hair all over everything, etc etc)!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks lads,

It doesnt help that in lying here in a back brace after getting 3 discs out and vertabre fused with titanium pins and plates. Its lashing for 24 hours (oh poor me eh?).

Anyway, i think the pooing a weeing all over the kitchen floor, even when he had just been out for one is just anxiety. God knows how the wee lad was treated before this, although his tail was docked so i don't think he was totally feral.

Its just funny at times how my GSD dog puts up with his messing. Boo's paw is bigger than the wee terriers head! 05062010008.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

You just defo need to give the little chap some time.. TBH he is prob finding it as hard as you - some good points in link below..

http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/dogcare/ownership/bonding.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

Thanks lads,

It doesnt help that in lying here in a back brace after getting 3 discs out and vertabre fused with titanium pins and plates. Its lashing for 24 hours (oh poor me eh?).

Anyway, i think the pooing a weeing all over the kitchen floor, even when he had just been out for one is just anxiety. God knows how the wee lad was treated before this, although his tail was docked so i don't think he was totally feral.

Its just funny at times how my GSD dog puts up with his messing. Boo's paw is bigger than the wee terriers head! 05062010008.jpg
    congrats for going to the pound and rescuing a dog.can add nothing apart from what others said, give it time. just wondering though how you managed to go to pound last week in a back brace. maybe it wasnt the right time, cant imagine its easy to try and mind 2 dogs in that state. while your in the brace i imagine things will be a lot tougher. maybe wait to see how things are when your fully mobile again

congrats for going to the pound and rescuing a dog.can add nothing apart from what others said, give it time. just wondering though how you managed to go to pound last week in a back brace.

Its amazing what morphine can do! Dont worry, this was planed for a long time and my girlfriend drove.

Oh, ill put a pic of the wee lad up, lets see if anyone can take a guess at what breed/s he is;21102011026.jpg 21102011032.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Patience and perseverance are needed but in the end it's well worth it.

I adopted a rescue dog that had been ill treated about 5 years ago. It took months to to get around her nervousness and let her true personality shine through, but in the end it was well worth the time and effort. She became a lovely quiet and loving dog that will lick you to death.

Give it time it will come right in the end. Good Luck! Well done for taking on a rescue dog.

• Advertisement

ahhh - hes lovely - I would reckon theres a bit of cairn terrier in there for starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Border or Norfolk terrier x

He looks a bit like my first fella who was a border x, best pet ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I was the same with the rescue dogs I have. We had a young pup when I got my first rescue dog.

We took him from the vets, owner died, no family, neighbours left him in to be put to sleep. He is a 15 yr old westie. I tried not to get too attached, he is old and set in his ways. He got sick and I was convinced it was his time. Vet said take him home, hes ok for now.. A week later he was hobbling around the house and I had to bring him back to the vets. Then I realised how much I loved him. That was awhile ago, now his back legs are starting to give out and I'm terrified of losing him.

The second dog I rescued was in a house where they just didnt have time for her anymore. We went to see her, partner loved her. I was overwhelmed and wasn't sure. We took her home and as her personality started to show, she won me over.

The third was one of 2 pups I was fostering. A family came to view them and she hid behind us, she didnt want to leave... so she stayed :)

It was different with all of my rescue dogs. Just give it some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Not sure what it is but its cute!! My sister got a 2 year old about 2 years ago she doesnt love him as much as the ones shes had since pups but she does care for him and show him affection and hes happy because he has a lovely home and is well cared for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dont worry it WILL happen...i can guarantee you. It'll be when you least expect it too. You'll be out walking, he'll go out of your sight for a few minutes and you'll start to panic...penny will drop that you're mad about him! You shouldnt expect to fall head over heels in a week either. You're both still learning about each other, figuring out his little personality etc. Dont rush it...enjoy getting to know him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Fair play to ya OP, there's so many rescue dogs without homes.

We did the same a few years back, took in a rescue dog who had been left in the park for a week and then rescued by an elderly couple who brought him to an animal shelter.

At the start, she wouldn't interact with anyone, she'd kinda just hide in the corner. When we'd put food out she would put a few pieces in her mouth then hurry away to the corner to eat them. And she was terrified of old people (I assume in relation to being recued by an elderly couple).

We didn't do anything different to another dog, it just took time, a lot of time, it was a year of love before she was interacting properly. She still doesn't like old people and thinks we're going for ever, every time we leave.

arodabomb wrote: »
    Fair play to ya OP, there's so many rescue dogs without homes.

Ahh there was no heroics involved, i just felt bad that I couldnt take them all home. I had it in mind that when I went in, I would pick the most pitiful looking dog I could see. Partner just fell for this wee guy, even though Ill be left holding the baby as such.

Ill try take a photo of the GSD and the wee lad beside each other. Its hard to believe they are even of the same species!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Oh, ill put a pic of the wee lad up, lets see if anyone can take a guess at what breed/s he is;21102011026.jpg 21102011032.jpg

Wow he looks exactly like my terrier! Her parents were a black & tan smooth coat jack russel(mother) & light brown and white wire haired (what looked like a parson russel father lol) .. maybe yours came from similar parents? this is my dog just to show http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/037/5/b/terrier___moone_by_cantrainallthetime_1-d38xslc.jpg and http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/196/1/0/puppy_to_adult_part_2_by_cantrainallthetime_1-d3t7573.jpg

SingItOut wrote: »
    Wow he looks exactly like my terrier! Her parents were a black & tan smooth coat jack russel(mother) & light brown and white wire haired (what looked like a parson russel father lol) .. maybe yours came from similar parents? this is my dog just to show http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/037/5/b/terrier___moone_by_cantrainallthetime_1-d38xslc.jpg and http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/196/1/0/puppy_to_adult_part_2_by_cantrainallthetime_1-d3t7573.jpg

what a gorgeus gorgeus dog!!!!!

Thank you :) she's spoilt rotten :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

He is the most gorgeous little man! I love scruffy little terriers, they have such personalities. My girl is a rescue to and looks exactly like yours. She has a lot of Cairn in her. I reckon your guy has a bit of Cairn or Border terrier going on there :)

Wow, they could be twins. I found my lad in the Meath CoCo pound near Slane about a week ago. They just said he was handed in as a stray.

Aww poor little guy, I got my girl in Kildare last year, covered in fleas and ticks she was :( shes in top health now :) . Don't understand how someone could leave them like that

Aww poor little guy, I got my girl in Kildare last year, covered in fleas and ticks she was :( shes in top health now :) . Don't understand how someone could leave them like that

Yeah, my wee guy has lost a lot of hair due to fleas and worms. Its coming back now though.

He has come out of his sell a lot in the past few days, no more anxiety wee in the house, just brought outside every hour and encouraged. I need to get working on getting him to come to me on call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Has he a name yet? Looks like he's a bit of norfolk terrier in him to me but could be any dolly mixture of breeds really!

It can be hard to bond with a new pet when you've already got an existing pet. When I got my dog I already had a cat, introductions didn't go well between them and it didn't help that I was quite sick the week I got him. Felt dead guilty thinking how selfish I was to get a dog when the cat clearly was stressed to the eyeballs and not happy about the new arrival. Couldn't imagine a house without him now and the pair of them are like a comedy routine, when the cat sits down her face is at wagging tail height so she regularly gets beaten across the face by his tail and is too stubborn to move. :D

Just keep at it and it'l come to you eventually, it's not natural to just bond with a new pet from day 1. At least I never have anyways.

Advertisement