Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of fitting spotlights

• 25-10-2011 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭

We are having some work done in our Kitchen and I was wondering how much would it typically cost to supply and fit 12 spotlights in ceiling (i.e. what is the price per point?)
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I just bough good low voltage spots and bulb for my presses and they only cost 12 euro for the spot and 6 for the transformer each

But perhaps your better asking this in electrical to get fitting costs piled in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

blass wrote: »
    We are having some work done in our Kitchen and I was wondering how much would it typically cost to supply and fit 12 spotlights in ceiling (i.e. what is the price per point?)
    Thanks in advance.

Be careful.
    Depending on what is above the ceiling and/or house construction method, you may well be introducing significant draughts into your kitchen bu installing recessed spots.

Be careful of a few things when doing this

Firstly, low voltage is not low wattage

e.g. low voltage (12v) spots are typically 35-50 watts. You are talking about having 12.

12 * 35 watts = 420 watts per hour
    12 * 50 watts = 600 watts per hour

You are charged something like 16cents for each KW you use. The 35w bulbs would cost you 16 cents to run after approx 2.5hrs. The 50w bulbs would cost you that in electricty in 1 hr 40 mins.

These bulbs are cheap as chips to buy but a bitch on electricty once you get a few in.

If you are dead set on getting spots, best to look at LED bulbs. They cost a fair bit, but will save you in the long run. You can get them as low as 3w up to whatever you want. Also, you can now get a massive range of styles, shades, etc. If you got 3w LED's it would work out as follows

12 * 3 watts = 36 watts per hour.

Thats 27 hours to get to 16 cents in electricty used.

I'm not recommending the 3 watt bulbs, just using as an example. You need to research this yourself to see what would be best for you. Easiest way is to work off the light details (lumen etc) of the 35 watt low voltage bulb and look for the LED equivilent.

Next, there's also 2 different type of connectors, MR16 & GU10

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu0v2exSbO35Xer0nAOsTWXwEp2nRWw3Pr9ly9Ww7Drg2SJr7VxQ
    Crap. dont get these. These are MR16 connections.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuLfyde5aF08_2SVq5aD9x-DbGQN7NO2d-psDOUJXwbIR2coyq

These are the GU10 connectors. Much better.

Lastly, low voltage Vs mains

Where possible go directly off the mains and eliminate the need for a transformer. Simply put, they are another link in the chain and this particular link is pretty weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

Thanks Dacor. Great reply.
    Thanks to everyone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sorry to jump in too late but the GU10 lamps are utter crap compared to a good 12v unit.
    why do so many people use 12v ? because its regulated/controlled voltage, that means the bulbs can be much more efficient at this voltage.
    IMHO 12v 20Watt is as good as a cheap sh*% 50w GU10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

3 spotlights for €9.99 (with bulbs, without cables)
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/00091670/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,150 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had the house rewired 5 years ago and had 6 12V halogens (2 bathroom and 4 kitchen) put in. I've yet to replace a single bulb.

Mains voltage halogen bulbs don't last long as the filament has to be very thin, low voltage halogens are more efficient and last longer, but you still couldn't describe them as cheap to run.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 directlight

If they are in a kitchen or bathroom they are notifiable under Part P of the building regulations. You'll also need hoods over them as to comply with Part P.

You'll be looking at around the £100 mark including notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

If they are in a kitchen or bathroom they are notifiable under Part P of the building regulations. You'll also need hoods over them as to comply with Part P.

You'll be looking at around the £100 mark including notification

we don't have 'Part P' in this country -that's UK

Advertisement