Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with your pet

• 25-10-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

I am considering moving back to Ireland but now I have 2 cats and it became more problematic.
    Does anyone have an experience with moving cats from other EU country to Ireland?
    Is using a Pet Passport really that easy and hassle free? What would be the best way to move your pet? I read there are transporting companies that can do it for you. What about a plane?
    I would especially appreciate comments based on your own experience.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Aseth wrote: »
    I am considering moving back to Ireland but now I have 2 cats and it became more problematic.
    Does anyone have an experience with moving cats from other EU country to Ireland?
    Is using a Pet Passport really that easy and hassle free? What would be the best way to move your pet? I read there are transporting companies that can do it for you. What about a plane?
    Thanks
    Yes, Pet Passport really is the way to go.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/bringing_pets_to_ireland.html

Without the passport your pets will have to spend quite some time in quarantine, i.e. caged in a state-controlled facility for a number of months.

The passport involves no quarantine, just a few vaccines and such.

There are authorised animal carriers around (see the link above), but afaik some airlines permit you to take animals in the cabin in a pet carrier up to a certain size. You basically buy an extra seat for the pet carrier. Or maybe I dreamt that...

If I was moving, I would probably look at driving across the EU, though whether that's feasible for you I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wendyjohnson

Aseth wrote: »
    Thanks

Quarantine at a facility is no longer needed to move your pet to Ireland. There is a 6 month titer test waiting period (for rabies) you have to do. You should start the process with your vet right away if you are considering moving. We use these guys http://www.petmove.com/ (recommended by Air Lingus site) to move our pets over and they were fantastic. Their website also explains everything.

If you have any questions about what we did feel free to PM me.

Wendy

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Davy1020

Aseth - there are new regulations coming into place from Jan 2012 - I am shipping a dog also into Ireland but waiting until then as if you have passport, mircochip and Vac's you will be able to avoid quarantine. I have done a lot of research about this so if you require any info PM me and I will try and help :)

Advertisement