Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA V Pre-release Discussion - ***DO NOT POST SPOILERS*** (Mod warning in first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Rastapitts wrote: »
    yep its lookin more and more like it will be Los Angeles

what makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

GTA 5: LONDON!!

You're nicked mate.

Inevitable comparisons to The Getaway 1 & 2 if it was simply London...

I'd prefer a GTA UK, with a few cities (Manc, Liv, Birm?) and countryside...but it won't happen because the US is where the mainstay of sales are...they wouldn't risk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

After GTA IV, no interest in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Rockstar are pretty spot on with progession. They used Table Tennis to lead in previous games and now looks liek the coudl have used LA Noire to lead into the new GTA, I can possible see more of the multiple decisions, rpg style converstaions, to be had in GTA V and user decisions based on a characters attitude a la La Noire ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can't wait for the trailer next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rockstar are pretty spot on with progession. They used Table Tennis to lead in previous games and now looks liek the coudl have used LA Noire to lead into the new GTA, I can possible see more of the multiple decisions, rpg style converstaions, to be had in GTA V and user decisions based on a characters attitude a la La Noire that all lead to the same bloody conclusion ;-)

Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

What about Dublin? re-name it Grand Theft Nama

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

What about international, maybe a couple of cities LA & Paris, LA & Tokyo, NY & London or something along those lines?

heard loads of different rumours and the majority opinion seem to think it will be Los Angeles but we will find out Wednesday is D-Day

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Wimbago wrote: »
    What about international, maybe a couple of cities LA & Paris, LA & Tokyo, NY & London or something along those lines?

Yeah, I'd like international as well. An International fixer/transporter for various crime syndicates would be good and offer loads of variety. So long as it also had the madcap crazy atmosphere behind the original GTA I'd be happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

Liam O wrote: »
    what? Microsoft give them the most money

The only money I know of that Microsoft paid to Rockstar is the $75 million just so Rockstar wouldn't release GTA IV on the PS3 only.

In any case, who do you think funded Rockstar up to GTA IV? If Sony see an opportunity to increase PS3 sales through another GTA franchise, then they'll happily contribute to it's development, and I doubt Rockstar would refuse, especially given their long history with Sony.
    Liam O wrote: »
    and have the larger user base in the areas that sell the game on a large scale. Not that there should be any 'preference' anyway.

A lot has changed since 2008. Back then the Xbox was outselling the PS3 and it made commercial sense to promote GTA IV on the Xbox platform. But sales of PS3 are now virtually on par with the Xbox 360.

Also, the DVD format used by the Xbox has reached it's sell-by-date, and most new games are now shipping with at least 2 discs for the Xbox version, sometimes as much as 4, because of it's limited storage space. Whereas PS3 games are only shipping as 1 disc because of its use of blu-ray. We've just seen with the release of BF3 that HD textures are included as part of the standard installation on the PS3, but had to be given as an option on the Xbox. This is critical for a game like GTA which offers a huge map, with extremely detailed models and buildings.

you think the series gone downhill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Pity GTA4 was so serious and bleak.

Saint Row 2 really stepped up to put the fun back into sandbox games and with Saints Row 3 coming out next month GTA5 is gonna have some big shoes to fill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd be somewhat inclined to agree that the mission structure in GTA IV lacked variety (until the expansions, anyway) but one thing it did entirely right was Liberty City itself. What kept me through to the end was just driving around: it was so full of character, detail and energy. I can't think of another open world game that had such a compelling, beliveable environment. It was a glorious place to just explore, with Phillip Glass music blasting out from the radio. Blasting may not be the appropriate word there, granted, but **** it.

If they take that detail, expand upon it, and give us more to do in it, GTA V could take all that potential in GTA IV and create something game-changing in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd be somewhat inclined to agree that the mission structure in GTA IV lacked variety (until the expansions, anyway) but one thing it did entirely right was Liberty City itself. What kept me through to the end was just driving around: it was so full of character, detail and energy. I can't think of another open world game that had such a compelling, beliveable environment. It was a glorious place to just explore, with Phillip Glass music blasting out from the radio. Blasting may not be the appropriate word there, granted, but **** it.

If they take that detail, expand upon it, and give us more to do in it, GTA V could take all that potential in GTA IV and create something game-changing in the process.

I'd agree. The city looked beautiful and felt so alive. They seemed to have a random generator for pedestrians which meant there weren't crowds consisiting of one or two models.

The vehicles looked and drove like real vehicles. I thought the combat wasn't bad either.

There was a lot of great things about the game but the lack of a fun factor killed it.

If they can combine the beauty of GTA4 with the fun of VC and SA we could have an absolute classic in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I thought Liberty city itself summed up the game. Beautifully created and the detail of the city was spectacular. The problem with it was variety. Like I said in another post and before GTA 4 came out, I would have liked to see some countryside. Have a few areas with no buildings, no people and no traffic jams.

In San Andreas you had desert, forests, fields, train tracks, planes, mountains rivers and lakes etc so all those areas offered a different experience for the gamer. From the top of a cold mountain to the middle of a hot desert, San Andreas had many feels to it which added greatly to its popularity.

I wouldn't want it to be like Saints row either. Thats maybe taking things too far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

this has got me al nostalgic and ive been looking back at san andreas....that really was an epic game.
    besides the main storyline, all the stupid **** you could do....go to a bar and play pool, go to the gym, play roulette, was great.
    and bikes...why didnt they keep bikes in gta IV??
    nothing better than hitting someone on a bike at top speed and see them fly half way across the city.
    Or turn on the moon gravity cheat and do bunny hops into the sky...

these things are what made gta great, so if they bring more stupid **** like this back, i'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I want to know is it paradise city, where the girls are pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Wimbago wrote: »

Even if it was just east and west coast USA, that would be a nice change of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Graphics look awful. You'd think with about 4 years between games they would have improved the graphics a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Meh, thats not real, its just one of those PC mods. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

I hoping for GTA Limerick

Were there not a lot of rumours circulating before that the three cities would be Dublin, London and Paris? All connected together by tunnel (and ability to fly/sail between them, obviously).

I don't really see them stepping outside of the US, and I'd very much welcome San Andreas again, with better graphics (Vice City, not so much).

Either way, i've loved GTA since the first game and I still play GTA IV regularly, too (it's the only game I really play, and only reason I bought a 360). I get very excited about GTA news and I'm hoping that this game will be available soon.

I reckon an April release would be accurate, as per IV, perhaps even sooner. To be honest, I wouldn't even be too surprised with a Christmas release (lets face it, they have to be finished the game by now; it's been years).

They usually do a long, drawn out release, with tidbits of information appearing here and there amidst randomly releasing screenshots and trailers, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did a rushed release and had it on shelves before December 25th (or so I hope. Could also add reasoning to the codename being 'Rush', though I reckon the name 'Rush' was just something they randomly picked out of the air with no reasoning or significance whatsoever).

I'm looking forward to the trailer, but not getting too excited about it. That said, when they actually release the trailer, I'm sure i'll watch it a hundred thousand times, in slow motion, backwards, upside down, etc. :pac: and read forums where people are disecting it piece by piece.

Regardless of what they change with the city, era, etc. one thing I hope they don't touch at all, is the vehicle handling/driving. IV took a while to get used to after the previous GTA games, but I think they really perfected it in IV and shouldn't touch it at all (not even to try and improve it as they'll only end up making it worse).

Also, final note; hat's off to Rockstar for keeping this so secret. They must've been working on it for months (if not years) and no one knows a thing about it. Fair play to them on that front. They know how to build suspense around things.

Just looking at the logo again, someone posted this on GTA Forums (and it's been posted on boards, too, i think, but unsure)

3c811.jpg

Seen as the font is the same as an English £5 note, also note that the texture in the V is very similar to that of a famous London building (Gherkin?) could add weight to it being an English game (or the rumours earlier in the year about Dublin, London and Paris may have had some truth to them?);

GTA-V-logo.jpg

gherkin.jpg

I'd settle on a London guess, only I think it's too far-fetched for Rockstar to bring the franchise out of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There is zero chance of them not including a US city.

My money would be on a single US city, Washington being likely. Multiple locations is not out of the question so you might see an American city and a European one but I think they will stick stateside for many reasons.

Firstly is marketability. GTA is a worldwide brand but most of its sales are US and European.....Western countries. A Western game is easier to market if its set in America. The world gets most of their entertainement from the US. This one is pretty obvious.

Secondly, you have to factor in language. English is the universal language of the world. If its in Paris.......the characters will have to speak French. I can't see that going over well with some gamers.

Thirdly the side of the road would change :p. I know it sounds silly because people don't obey the rules of the road anyway in GTA but its been the same side for ages and people are used to it. Switching sides of the road would irk people. It's the same reason they changed Link to a 'righty' for the wii games. Most people are right handed. If he weilds a sword with his left it will disorient people. You go with the majority of your customers.

There are more reasons I'm too dumb to list. I'm sure other people will or have. As I said, my money would be on Washington or maybe L.A. They would have the assets from LA Noire which would help in building the game. Although they might be afraid of retreading old ground so I'd put Washington ahead of it in the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

ok folks as far as i know gta 5 will be in Ireland. dublin city will be the main start off in the game and the map is of the full length of Ireland and the smaller islands aran islands so this should be very interesting driving through the country with only sheep and cows and leprechauns. the bonus level will be a tiny island off the north coast where you have to do a serious mission in a helicopter in stormy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

f*ck it would be so mental if it was set in Ireland altough I doubt it - the accents would be so cringey id probably end up smashing my xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

people are incredibly naive. GTA is a satire on American culture, always has been, always will be. It's virtually guaranteed to be Vice City or a city from San Andreas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice to see the schoolyard rumours are alive and well even in the age of the intrawebs.

Does anyone know how to play as Goro?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement