Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Top 4 big gigs to be annouced?

• 25-10-2011 12:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing what acts are going to be announced,hopfully we get some international names or an act you wouldnt see too often

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Have they not already named 3?

The Coronas
    Bell X1
    Imelda May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

On one night or is that 3 of them?

Bell X1 good,but doing Coronas and Imelda May again wouldnt interest me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

The Coronas
    Imelda May

Have these not played already or are they coming again?

On one night or is that 3 of them?

Bell X1 good,but doing Coronas and Imelda May again wouldnt interest me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bell X1 are playing in December, supported by Jape, so I'd say the Coronas and Imelda May will be separate gigs as well.

As for Imelda and the Coronas, I heard good reviews about their previous gigs in the Big Top. They'll be banking on word of mouth from those shows to attract people who didn't see them live in Limerick before.

• Advertisement

They're all separate shows!

Bell X1 are playing in December, supported by Jape, so I'd say the Coronas and Imelda May will be separate gigs as well.

As for Imelda and the Coronas, I heard good reviews about their previous gigs in the Big Top. They'll be banking on word of mouth from those shows to attract people who didn't see them live in Limerick before.

Oh i heard good reviews but it not as if they are acts that dont play alot around ireland,

I've heard rumours about a certain teenage superstar playing a certain Limerick stadium in 2012 if that would be more up your street bigpink! :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've heard rumours about a certain teenage superstar playing a certain Limerick stadium in 2012 if that would be more up your street bigpink! :P

If that turns out to be Justin Bieber, I swear I'll emigrate! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If that turns out to be Justin Bieber, I swear I'll emigrate! :mad:

Please let it be Bieber, please let it be Bieber. :p:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

If that turns out to be :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:, I swear I'll emigrate! :mad:

You should ban yourself for bringing the forum into disrepute by even mentioning that irritant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

It will get boring very bloody quick though if they start bringing the same acts over and over..and less people going..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Have to agree with vkid - and no matter how good teh acts might have been, if there's a recession on are people really gonna pay out twice in the space of 6 months or so to see the same act again? What about someone like Lisa Hannigan (new album just out). Bell X1 is a good choice though (not a fan myself but can see the draw) and Jape is exceptional.

Maybe it'll be Villagers for the 4th night :rolleyes:... (as much as I love Villagers!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Hopefully it will be something big enough. Bell x1 are great live as are the other 2 but they have been done already and I was a bit disappointed to see them back again. See the frames are doing a few gigs in the next couple of months, wonder could they be a possibility? I live in hope!

Anybody know how many the big top holds for a gig like these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why not look outside the Irish circles too though. We always think of Irish bands first.

Some good acts play the smaller venues in Dublin that surely could also play in the big top.

Can see why they would go for Bieber for thomand park, instant sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭SnoopyGunner

Hopefully it will be something big enough. Bell x1 are great live as are the other 2 but they have been done already and I was a bit disappointed to see them back again. See the frames are doing a few gigs in the next couple of months, wonder could they be a possibility? I live in hope!

Anybody know how many the big top holds for a gig like these?

Around 1300 according to this

http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/calvin_harris_the_star_attraction_as_limerick_raises_a_glass_1_3090782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

1300 is a good number. Surely they could pull in some big international acts with that type of turnover. I love the warehouse tho. One of the best music venues in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 baggypants007

would love to see ryan sheridan playing at the big top, imelda may gig was brillant along with the coronas were amazing as well,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

would love to see ryan sheridan playing at the big top, imelda may gig was brillant along with the coronas were amazing as well,

That'd be Ryan Sheridan whose every song consists of strumming very fast in the same rhythm. Think he's woeful.

So far the artists at the Big Top have sucked balls. Too safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Thought it might be more. I don't think that's a very big size to be honest but Dolans has never had a problem pulling in some international acts before so no reason they couldn't do it for the big top.

Biffy Clyro
    Mumford and sons (don't like them personally)
    Kasabian
    Stone Sour and many more have played Dolans before.

It would just be nice to get away from the usual bands that play around Ireland like the coronas, mundy, Declan o rourke etc.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

They've chosen these acts for a couple of good reasons.

a. They've been proven to attract a crowd -- this is an expensive undertaking for Dolan's and quite a gamble.
    b. The Big Top is still an unknown venue for the vast majority of international acts -- remember it took many years for Dolan's to establish the Warehouse on the circuit. Bands are slow to trust a new venue and developing good word of mouth between musicians is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭WLSM

I'm heading to Bell X1 and Declan O'Rourke at the w/e.

The gates open at 7 on Friday in the Big Top but does anyone know what time the gig starts and usually finishes? I don't want to be standing around all night if it doesn't kick off till 9.

The same with Declan O'Rourke on Saturday, he is billed as 8pm in The Warehouse - does this mean he starts at 8 or is it doors open at 8 and the gig starts at 9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

Hey was there last Friday. The coronas started around nine the bar closes at 10 and your out by 10.45ish. going again this fri and can't wait.

Does anyone here know if there are still tickets available for Friday night?

I think there is.

It says SOLD OUT next to Imelda May but doesn't for Bell X1 so I assume there's still a few tickets.

I think there is.

It says SOLD OUT next to Imelda May but doesn't for Bell X1 so I assume there's still a few tickets.

Nice one. Well, nice if you're right anyway! :D

I was supposed to be seeing the Darkness in Dublin this weekend, but I've had to sell my ticket. :( Bell X1 should cheer me up again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Nice one. Well, nice if you're right anyway! :D

I was supposed to be seeing the Darkness in Dublin this weekend, but I've had to sell my ticket. :( Bell X1 should cheer me up again though.

I know someone selling 2 for less than cost price if you're interested

I know someone selling 2 for less than cost price if you're interested

\o/

I only need one. PM me and we'll see if we can sort something out this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I think there is.

Nice one. Well, nice if you're right

He will be. The residents nearby mean the licence is granted only if they finish that early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭WLSM

Hey was there last Friday. The coronas started around nine the bar closes at 10 and your out by 10.45ish. going again this fri and can't wait.

Thanks

Advertisement