Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Willie O'Reilly

• 25-10-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭

Out the gap at TodayFM and off to....... RTE

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1025/rte-business.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Today FM chief executive Willie O'Reilly is to join RTÉ, taking up a newly-created role of group commercial director.

RTÉ names group commercial director

RTÉ facing more uncertainty - chairman

In a statement, RTÉ said Mr O'Reilly would report to the Director General and would be a member of the national broadcaster's executive board.
    RTÉ said Mr O'Reilly would have "overall responsibility for the planning and development of commercial strategy". He takes up the new post on January 1.
    Mr O'Reilly has been chief executive of Today FM since 1999. He previously worked in RTÉ, where he was executive producer of The Gerry Ryan Show for a ten-year period.

Mr O'Reilly told RTÉ News he had enjoyed his time working in the commercial broadcasting sector with Today FM but was excited about the opportunity to take up the new post with RTÉ.

Mr O'Reilly said the position was "a role that hasn't existed in RTÉ until now" and would involve planning and developing a commercial strategy for the broadcaster across several divisions including RTÉ's networks, online, publishing and broadcasting operations.

He said RTÉ was an organisation he was "fond of and understood" and was looking forward to the new challenge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So RTE in the red are inventing posts with substantial remuneration?

I presume Denis O'Brien will have a yes man lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

hopefully he will bring Darcy & Co. off to RTE with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Maybe its what rte and 2fm need. Someone with real world commercial experience. Hope he clears outs all the muppets, puppets and oaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He'd better bring a big axe for all that dead wood that needs clearing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

It's not really a programming role. At any rate he's going back to his old haunt, Big Willie was a producer in RTE for 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A good move for RTE, not such a good outcome for Today FM. Hopefully he'll be able to have some influence over there and revamp 2FM, maybe drag the station into the 21st century after all these years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I think Tom Hardy, currently PD of Today FM, would be a good replacement for Willie O'Reilly. He has been in his current position since August 1998 and has many years experience in radio management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I think Tom Hardy, currently PD of Today FM, would be a good replacement for Willie O'Reilly. He has been in his current position since August 1998 and has many years experience in radio management.

Radio management... right?

How does that work, pay exorbitant fees to average presenters and then hide behind' commercial privacy' to hide the true cost.

I refer to RtE here of course who seem to think, and I believe no one other person in this land agrees, that Marion Finucane is worth 550k pa.

For 30 weekends.

that's good Radio management for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Radio management... right?

How does that work, pay exorbitant fees to average presenters and then hide behind' commercial privacy' to hide the true cost.

I refer to RtE here of course who seem to think, and I believe no one other person in this land agrees, that Marion Finucane is worth 550k pa.

For 30 weekends.

that's good Radio management for sure.

The poster was referring to Tom Hardy, who is in Today FM. His "good radio management" doesn't extend to Marian Finucane..

Best of luck to Willie O Reilly. Hopefully he isn't restricted with what he can or cannot do over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I gather from reading the article that he is taking on a commercial role with RTE which I believe means trying to reinvent the wheel if you ask me. First thing on his agenda is getting rid of the ridiculous TV ads for 2fm.
    He obviously likes a challenge. All I can do is wish him the best of luck because it will not be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭ronman

isnt it a bit ironic that he left today fm just days after sam smith (who has also been there from the start) was sacked for apparantly slagging off a big business man on his show. Often heard willie on different shows on today fm, all the presenters seemed to like him and he seemed really happy there, i couldnt swear on it but think i heard him slag off rte a few times. must be something behind the scenes going on e.g disagree with the sam smith situation, for him to up and leave a popular station that he was very much responsible for getting going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 henry11

A ten-coup, not a good result for Today FM. We hope to be able to have an influence there and reorganize 2FM, perhaps drag the station into the 21st century, after all these years.

Customised mugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I'd say it a great move for Willie and a F*** You to Mr O'Brien. To me its a veiled pointing the finger that O'B was behind the removal of Sam Smith.

Good for him

Advertisement