Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last remaining original structure over Dublin & Kingstown ?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I gather that Iarnrod Eireann will be carrying out work on the footbridge over the DART line at the end of Belgrave Road at Seapoint Avenue in the next few weeks.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dublin&hl=en&ll=53.298485,-6.163754&spn=0.000813,0.002401&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.273162,78.662109&vpsrc=6&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=h&z=19

From observation it looks to be either 'original' or just very, very old. Does anyone know if it is in fact part of the original infrastructure from the days of the Dublin & Kingstown ? I'm not about to start a campaign over it - I'm all for health & safety and this particular bridge doesn't look terribly healthy or safe.

As far as I know most of the original cast iron foot bridges on the line have been replaced over the last 20-30 years and this is one of the few remaining bits that I have noted.

On a vaguely similar note - does anyone know if the shed-like structure to the south of the petrol station in old Dun Leary is a remnant of the old station building that would have been located there ? It can be seen here as the light surface between the road and the tracks. Before the line was extended to the current station in Dun Laoghaire, there was a station at this point.

z

[edit] sorry, the subject line isn't quite accurate. There are still other original structures over the line - the road bridge just a few hundred metres up the road at the martello tower for one. What I was getting at was the last of the cast iron bridges rather than the stone ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

There is a thread on railways on the history forum, you might get a good response there.

Advertisement