Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Prescription

• 25-10-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Hi All, my dog is on a long term dose of Phenobarbital for epilepsy which at current dose costs us appox e28.00 per month, with a vets prescription would a chemist be able to source it at a better price for us or is this a ridiculous notion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Not ridiculous and very doable. Only some pharmacies have a veterinary licence and/or have a limited supply of drugs for animals (or animal doses) so you would probably need to ask around. It is very possible though, you can get a prescription from your vet (some do charge for this) and then get the drugs from the pharmacy. You could ask the pharmacist how much it would cost before you get the prescription to see if it would be cheaper, just to save time and effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

i know a place in limerick who look like they might do it, I shall go down and ask them about it and ask the vet how much for the prescription, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

Can I ask what the dosage is? Seems very overpriced..

I'd have to double check when I get home, but it was two tablets per day which was e18.00 per month but an increase in dose now its 1.5 tablets twice a day, again I'd have to check the receipt to see the charge, i can report back in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julybreeze

No problem, my dog is on 30mg twice daily and we pay just under 10 euro for his monthly prescription. That's 60 30mg tabs just to clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Possibly a little overpriced, although it depends what size tablets you buy, but I'd imagine your vet will charge you for a prescription to take to a chemist.

Julybreeze wrote: »
    No problem, my dog is on 30mg twice daily and we pay just under 10 euro for his monthly prescription. That's 60 30mg tabs just to clarify.

I forgot to check the bottle but that sounds about what our guy was on orginally, and it was 18.80 per month for that

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

My old terrier used to be on 45mg/day of Epiphen (phenobarb) and I think the price you're paying is shocking, someone is creaming it somewhere. When she lived here with me I never paid anywhere near that!

She lived with my mother in the UK in her latter days and her 3 month prescription was around £12....I'll repeat, that was £12 for 3-months supply!
    So if she was on 60mg/day it'd still be only £16...for 3 months-worth.

Definitely worth seeing if a pharmacist can do it cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I used to get our old dog's arthritis meds from www.petmeds.co.uk or something similar. You need to email them a signed prescription. Our vet never charged for this. Worked out about half price.

Advertisement