Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat Sticky

• 25-10-2011 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Folks, by all accounts the thread Farming Chit Chat (inspired by Whelan1) is the most popular thread on this forum and we feel that it serves a good purpose as a home for posts that may not warrant a new thread of their own. My personal opinion is that it should be a sticky and should always remain at the top of the page where its easily found for everyone.

What are your opinions on it?

If we sticky it, should we rename it? (We could have a comp. to come up with a new name?)

Should a new sticky incorporate all of the old posts into it or should we start from scratch??

Opinions Please

Reilig

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Should it not be named after it's founder? :D
    ..as in "Whelan1's Farming Chit Chat"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i suppose the reason i started it was so there where not numerous threads started over small issues, i am all in favour of it being made a sticky, dont mind what its called, am actually amazed at the amount of posts on it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There'll be noooooooooooo living with her now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I think making it a sticky is a good idea.

But what about the stickies that are there? Should they remain? I would question their usefullness...

Surely we can lose the charter sticky - sure no one in their right mind reads that ;)
    And anyways, if you were in breach - we have helpful mods like you Reilg to tell us what part of the charter we are breaking, so no need to have it as a sticky ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Fair play to ya Whelan!!

Have a few bullocks ready to kill - got a quote of 3.64 base price on the grid from a factory this morning.
    Thats up from last week..

What ye reckon?
    i fear the factories will have a few busy weeks ahead with all the rain the last few days...
    Time to move them on methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I think making it a sticky is a good idea.

But what about the stickies that are there? Should they remain? I would question their usefullness...

Surely we can lose the charter sticky - sure no one in their right mind reads that ;)
    And anyways, if you were in breach - we have helpful mods like you Reilg to tell us what part of the charter we are breaking, so no need to have it as a sticky ;):D

We are looking at tidying up some of the stickies, maybe incorporating some of the existing ones under one or else under a single useful information sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

it would be a woman that comes up with a gossip thread,dear whelan ,natter natter, sticky please.

[keep it on topic and we'll get it sorted in a couple of days

Do ye want it as a sticky?
    Will we keep the name?
    If we turn it into a sticky will we keep the old content or start fresh?

If we decide to change the name, I'll open a fresh thread with suggestions. lets make the big decisions first. ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

How about 'Ring Side chatter' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    [keep it on topic and we'll get it sorted in a couple of days

Do ye want it as a sticky?
    Will we keep the name?
    If we turn it into a sticky will we keep the old content or start fresh?

If we decide to change the name, I'll open a fresh thread with suggestions. lets make the big decisions first. ]

My opinion

Sticky - yes
    Name - Dont care
    Content - Keep old content

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

my opinion sticky yes keep old stuff yes keep name yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Just sticky it as is.

KISS

JohnBoy wrote: »

KISS

I hope that was meant for either Whelan or Karen !!!! :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

He's attracted to power apparently!!

I reckon sticky it, keep name, leave whats in it in it. Alternatively i'd be happy to just let it be as is - if it ain't broken don't fix it

As an aside I personally never look at the stickies and scroll straight down to the first "active" thread, maybe its just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tipp Man wrote: »
    He's attracted to power apparently!!

I reckon sticky it, keep name, leave whats in it in it. Alternatively i'd be happy to just let it be as is - if it ain't broken don't fix it

As an aside I personally never look at the stickies and scroll straight down to the first "active" thread, maybe its just me
    +1. Except for the attracted to power bit, thats ALL tipp mans:D.

Sticky the original, warts and all

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Sticky the original, warts and all[/QUOTE]

Ditto - grasp the nettle Reilig! You've got the power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Sticky the original, warts and all

Ditto - grasp the nettle Reilig! You've got the power[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Reilig. You are a mod with about 3 weeks with no blatant misuse of power. We had FF with 15 years and, quite frankly, i am suffering withdrawl symptoms. Just assume you are the FF minister of F&F stickys and let loose:D

QUOTE=5live;75126955]
    Yeah Reilig. You are a mod with about 3 weeks with no blatant misuse of power. We had FF with 15 years and, quite frankly, i am suffering withdrawl symptoms. Just assume you are the FF minister of F&F stickys and let loose:D[/QUOTE]

I'm just waiting for the brown envelope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Create new sticky
    Leave title as it is
    Start a fresh new post from Nov 1st;
    Close the original post & leave as "read only"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Just sticky it as is.

KISS

Agree. Should be a sticky. But keep name etc as it is.

I think there should also be a sticky for mart and factory beef prices, pics etc using someone elses idea for the name calling it 'Ringside' something or other.

FYI Reilig.... KISS = 'Keep It Simple Stupid'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

It would be very useful aswell to have some sort of price league reference table. Somewhere you could compare all farm related prices. I don't think a normal thread would work though. Maybe some kind of pull-down menu.

For example people could post what they paid for a Litre bottle of a certain brand of pour-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Sticky the original.
    Great thread. Whelan take a bow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

pakalasa wrote: »
    Should it not be named after it's founder? :D
    ..as in "Whelan1's Farming Chit Chat"

the "Whelan and dealin' thread".....!!

It would be very useful aswell to have some sort of price league reference table. Somewhere you could compare all farm related prices. I don't think a normal thread would work though. Maybe some kind of pull-down menu.

For example people could post what they paid for a Litre bottle of a certain brand of pour-on.

That would be difficult to do with boards I imagine. Have you seen anything akin to this on any other forums so that we could see how it works? Other than that, if someone was prepared to do it externally from boards, we could possibly put a link to it from the F & F section???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Thats a very good idea, though of it before myself but would be difficult to "control"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Well I just bust my sides laughing!

Sticky it, even though it does remain on trend and usually in the first page, it would be easier (and more relevant) as a sticky. Sure, farmers all like a bit of chat. :P

Advertisement