Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper stripper, anyone used one?

• 25-10-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Okay so my mother wants the wallpaper taken off her sitting room walls and to paint it.

Im going to hire a wallpaper stripper, one of those heated yokes, will this remove the wallpaper without taking up loads of the paint underneath and leave me with big patches of bare plaster???

any tricks to it?

I am at least anticipating having to scrub the wall with sugar soap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

The steamer could well take lumps of the plaster off the wall anyway. It can be quite harsh.

It really depends on what state the walls are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 spikealmighty

The steamer could well take lumps of the plaster off the wall anyway. It can be quite harsh.

It really depends on what state the walls are in.
    Well the walls should be ok, theyre only 10 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if the walls are solid then as long as u dont let the steamer dwell for 2 long on any spot then happy days. If u do u run the risk of lifting the skim.

What I find useful is to wet the paper first with a sponge,( ideally peel of fthe outer layer if it has one). the wet paper absorbs the heat from the steamer much quicker,

when washing start at bottom and work up, avoids steaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

I've removed wallpaper several times, and my first preference is the chemical stripper (looks the colour of lucozade, just dilute it and apply with a brush). As long as the wallpaper is not fully waterproof, so that the chemical can soak through to the inner layer, you get instant results (also assuming the original paste is not extra special). I find it's much quicker that the steam device. So for the sake of a few euros, I'd buy a bottle of it and give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 spikealmighty

Thanks guys, Ive been youtube'n videos so I think Im gonna give the chemicals a try, the results look good, the sheets seem to peel right off the wall:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Argos do a steamer for €30, it's worth every penny if it. Got one a few years back it's stripped a few complete houses at this stage.... Not worth renting when so cheap to buy

Advertisement