Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MA in Mediation and Conflict Resolution

• 25-10-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has done this masters in NUI Maynooth and what they thought of it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am a recent law graduate and have been looking into mediation as a career. I studied it during my law degree and am seriously thinking of becoming a certified mediator. I am only 23 though and don't have much practical work experience as I only graduated recently. Is 23 too young to be thinking of this career?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

cclittlec wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has done this masters in NUI Maynooth and what they thought of it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am a recent law graduate and have been looking into mediation as a career. I studied it during my law degree and am seriously thinking of becoming a certified mediator. I am only 23 though and don't have much practical work experience as I only graduated recently. Is 23 too young to be thinking of this career?

From the title of the course, I'd suspect that "mediation and conflict" refers to something more akin to peacebuilding/diplomacy etc, rather than arbitration/ADR and the like...

Edit: Hmmm, it seems to be "all of the above".

You might get a perspective posting here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=488

Though you might want to read this before you post:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055619090

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cclittlec

Thanks for those links!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hamo79

They actually run a Post grad in Adjudication also, Im not interested in it but did hear about it at their open day.
    http://kennedyinstitute.nuim.ie/pg-cert-in-adjudication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Well I would hope the OP has made their mind up seeing as it was 2 years ago!

Sorry I had searched for Mediation and it came up, I didn't see the date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Unless you're very interested in diplomacy or just keen on deepening your academic training, why would a prospective practitioner not first opt for the arbitration or MII route?

So many postgrad courses these days are pure filler; they're revenue raisers for the Universities but offer very little on the face of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Unless you're very interested in diplomacy or just keen on deepening your academic training, why would a prospective practitioner not first opt for the arbitration or MII route?

So many postgrad courses these days are pure filler; they're revenue raisers for the Universities but offer very little on the face of it.

I am sorry to say, but this is very true.

Some of these courses are delivered by people who have no practical experience of the topic.

The universities or other institutions just want to suck people into their classes. I am sorry for young peope who are being codded.

From what I can tell the course in the OP is mainly practitioner led, as are their other mediation courses, so may not be the case here.

Advertisement