Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder Flood Gates locked open During floods.

Options
  • 25-10-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any more info on this? From what ive heard/read the council couldnt find the keys for the gates on Newbridge Road in Sandymount.

Was there water coming through the gates and flooding houses before the Firebrigade could close it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

Rumour has it the gate-keeper was locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Things like this come with standard keys.

Is there construction work there at the moment for the flood relief project?

Possibly the rumour mill at work. "Was there water coming through the gates and flooding houses before the Firebrigade could close it?" is rather telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Victor wrote: »
    Things like this come with standard keys.

Is there construction work there at the moment for the flood relief project?

Possibly the rumour mill at work. "Was there water coming through the gates and flooding houses before the Firebrigade could close it?" is rather telling.

"Is rather telling"? - its a genuine question.

I'd read the piece that was linked above and wanted to know. I also heard Cllr Ciaran Someone on Newstalk at lunch yesterday talking about it.

There was a construction project where the council spent a fair amount on building flood relief, and I just though it seemed odd they supposedly couldn't find the keys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zizzy

There was three different gates along that part of the dodder and they all had to be cut by either residents or fire brigade as the council said the garda station had the keys and they said they didn't.. A friend of mine lives on the road and he said it was terrible for about 40mins everyone out trying to break the locks, telephoning the council /garda station etc unblocking drains. The works on this part of the dodder have been completed for well over 6-12 months.

• Advertisement

zizzy wrote: »
    There was three different gates along that part of the dodder and they all had to be cut by either residents or fire brigade as the council said the garda station had the keys and they said they didn't.. A friend of mine lives on the road and he said it was terrible for about 40mins everyone out trying to break the locks, telephoning the council /garda station etc unblocking drains. The works on this part of the dodder have been completed for well over 6-12 months.

It sounds mad!

Ultimately did the gates being open for longer than they should have been make a difference I wonder?

The gates should have been closed on Monday morning when it became obvious what was going to happen.

Some of the guys who designed and got approval for the scheme must be banging their head off walls!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

CardinalJ wrote: »
    The gates should have been closed on Monday morning when it became obvious what was going to happen.

I dont think anybody was expecting near 100mm of rainfall in one day, not to mention 60% of that in the space of 2 hours! Theres not many storm water systems in the world that could handle that!

kceire wrote: »
    I dont think anybody was expecting near 100mm of rainfall in one day, not to mention 60% of that in the space of 2 hours! Theres not many storm water systems in the world that could handle that!

Met Eireann issued a severe weather warning on the Saturday though. I think they quoted 80mm, but I could be wrong.

I accept what you say about the short time scale, but my main thing is the not closing the flood gates. Its indefensible imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

And 2 of the gates are still closed. Are they going to ever open them or just leave them be until they find the keys? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

There was an article in the metro this morning. Saying that the gates were maliciously locked and the fire brigade had to cut them open. Also that it didn't affect anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement