Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

to xbox or not to xbox...

Options
  • 25-10-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering is it worth it to buying an xbox, have been an avid pc gamerfor years but my current system is getting a bit long in the tooth, it was able for modern warfare 2 and battlefield2 but struggled with cod black ops so with the soon release of modern warfare3 and battlefield3 I'm trying to decide what to do, and to go upgrade the pc is very costly so I was considering an xbox maybe with. an kinect for the rest of the family... What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Hi all, just wondering is it worth it to buying an xbox, have been an avid pc gamerfor years but my current system is getting a bit long in the tooth, it was able for modern warfare 2 and battlefield2 but struggled with cod black ops so with the soon release of modern warfare3 and battlefield3 I'm trying to decide what to do, and to go upgrade the pc is very costly so I was considering an xbox maybe with. an kinect for the rest of the family... What do people think?

If you don't mind switching from keyboard and mouse to a controller, then I'd definitely recommend it to you.

There's a number of advantages of a dedicated games console over a PC but also some disadvantages too. Here's a brief outline for you, with regards to the 360 anyway.

PROS
    • No tweaking or over clocking required. Just pop the disk in and play.
    • Level playing field as everyone has the same setup
    • Can be used as a media extender to stream content from your PC
    • Virtually no hacking with a "policed" server system
    • Relatively low purchase price compared to gaming PCs
    • Very easy to join gaming communities and create friends lists
    • Kinect provides accessible gaming for the entire family

CONS
    • Graphics aren't on a par with high end current gaming rigs running DX11
    • Xbox Live requires an annual charge (about €40-€60 depending where it's bought but this isn't a negative since it provides the safe/policed system)

Well, reading back over what I just wrote, you'd wonder why anyone would go for PC gaming over a console. I own a fairly high end gaming rig but I pretty much do all my gaming on a console. I just find it more fun. I've a great friends list full of people who play the same games as me and I'm virtually guaranteed that there will always be someone online that I can jump in with which really adds to the experience.

For me, it's a no brainer, the console wins hands down but if you are into very high end graphics or feel the switch to a controller is a big issue, then stick to the PC, otherwise you won't go wrong with a 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

While the above post says it like it is, I just want to add a little warning about the Kinect. A lot of people have bought this and found that they do not have the space to use it. It requires a 10ftx10ft (approx) area to play although the link below may contain the solution to this.

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=Zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful. I would miss the keyboard and mouse having never gamed with anything else... but i'm sure practice would sort that one out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I was in the same situation as yourself a few years ago, just couldnt afford to upgrade/build a new PC so got a 360 and have to say I love it. It obviously has a lot of limitations compared to PC gaming but for the cost/convenience factor it's grand really. There's also the sad fact that a lot of games these days don't come out on PC or are released far later.
    Controller wise, for FPS' anyway you'll never beat the accuracy and control of the mouse and keyboard but you will get used to the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

ah yeah give the xbox a whirl

never a big pc gamer much rather consoles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

TheMooseInNam pretty much hit it in the nail about the differences. I play both my PC and Xbox360 regularly and I would like to add the following:
    • You may end up paying for DLC on the xbox that is on PC for free. However there are only a few games that this extends to.
    • DLC and XBL marketplace transactions require you to use Microsoft's own currency.
    • There is no modding with console gaming, but with so few PC games offering it, it really is not much of a disadvantage.
    • XBL chat is great and idiot proof. The fact that you can control game volume and chat volume on the fly is fairly sweet. You can mute everyone if you do not like listening to other people yap. However, private voice chats are limited to 8 people.
    • Second hand games are fairly cheap after a while. However, no ridiculous steam sales on the xbox.
    • An xbox can use your PC's monitor if you buy a VGA cable.
    • An excellent customer service with MS.
    • Games do not need to be installed prior to playing. You might choose to do so later on to allow your disc to last longer, but there is no need.
    • Game rentals.

My current set up to get the best of both PC and xbox:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74434236&postcount=260

Advertisement