Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underage Gigs

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in setting up underage gigs?

Has anyone ever tried to rent a function room in a pub or a local community hall for an underage gig?

Are there particular laws for this? What would be required?

Any thoughts or comments welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Spang_Joe

Purely depends on the venue. Community halls would prob go for it because its good clean fun for the kids.

Most venues stay away from it because they make nothing from the bar. The Good bits in Dublin will host em tho, as will Cruiscin Lan in Cork and the Oh Yeah music centre in Belfast.

Expect to pay quite a bit for the venue tho as they need to cover costs without the bar, but if the right promotion is there as well as a cover charge (7-10 euro is the going rate) then you should break even at least.

Actually playing these gigs are great too as the kids are crazy and so into the music. PM if you've got anymore questions.

Make sure to look at insurance if renting a community hall. A lot don't come with the insurance you need to run a gig.

(I hate the fact you can't run a gig, stacking the amps and drumkits on pallets btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 upsidemark

Thanks for the replies,

Would hiring a local pub function room not just be considered a private function?...meaning you could invite whoever you want...or are there other things to consider here?

Any ideas on how much these types of local venues charge? (I know!...I should really just ring them up and ask!!...just being lazy!)

I was quoted by a couple of the usual venues in town for all ages gigs @ €1000 & €1800 respectively which I thought was a bit ridiculous. What do they offer that you can't do for yourself?
    (I hate the fact you can't run a gig, stacking the amps and drumkits on pallets btw)
    Are you saying that in a community hall you are not allowed to raise up the amps, kits, etc... or make a mini stage for yourself?

Advertisement