Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with a weepy eye

• 25-10-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

My little girl has one eye weeping a bit more than usual, seems to be a greenish discharge. I've cleaned it now for 2 days, but it takes about 10 hours to built up any significant quantity.

Does she have a cold? I seem to remember something about eye discharges being linked to doggy colds. If it's any worse tonight, she'll go to the vet first thing in the morning, but would appreciate if anyone'd any experience of something similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Usually if its green it indicates there could be an infection there so it might need an antibiotic to help clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

andreac wrote: »
    Usually if its green it indicates there could be an infection there so it might need an antibiotic to help clear it up.
    I had some thing similar with my mutt a couple of times earlier in the year, both times turned out to be eye infections. He's a very active dog, so the vet wasn't concerned at all. Gave some eye drops and a steroid ointment. With muzzle and a firm grip, both could be administered without too much hassle. Dog thinks that everything is a game. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Green discharge is a definite sign of infection. Cleaning the eye with salty water (cooled boiled water and a little salt) will get rid of any goo and help with the infection. The eye may be very sticky in the morning and the dog may be "winking" at you or at the eye so just give it a clean to relieve it a bit. Your dog will need some antibiotic drops to clear it up completely though so a trip to the vet is needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

+1 on the salty water.

As you probably know some breeds will have weepy eyes more than others. I have a cocker spaniel and their eyes always weep a little but if its green as said before there may be an infection. Try the salty water, if not the vet. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thank for the advice everyone. Seems to be cleared up now which is great. If it comes back for any reason, we'll be off to the vet like a shot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement