Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingsley hotel

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Any info on this hotel re it opening again or is it closed for good?
    Was a nice hotel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Izzie11

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Stupid place to build a hotel, I have no idea, but I would imagine insurance cover could be an issue.

I used to hang around that area growing up, anyone remember the Lee Baths? They were situated exactly where the Kingsley is now.
    Well i recall a few times in the winter when the Baths were flooded, when the river burst its banks.

Pity the geniuses in the construction industry did not do their research.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

well from what I understand was it had plans to re-open once the repairs work was completed but apparently the insurance money was not paid out due to some problem found with the policy...very hazy on details so don't quote me!

But yes, insane place to build a hotel, capitalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

In fairness people are inherintely greedy, the planners should of shot it down along with all the other underground carparks in the area day 1, but the nice folks just approved it all , then the county hall decided it a good idea to build their archive underground on a flood plain if they cant follow good policy themselves then they arent going to follow it with regards to a lot of builders applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Agree Outkast, the fact that the council would locate their archive underground there beggars belief, remember 'professionals' signed off on this, engineers, architects etc, utterly shameful decision, did heads roll though?: Not the one, another example is the Glucksmann Gallery in UCC, hahaha funny if it wasn't so serious...great country this alltogether ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Gigiwagga wrote: »
    Agree Outkast, the fact that the council would locate their archive underground there beggars belief, remember 'professionals' signed off on this, engineers, architects etc, utterly shameful decision, did heads roll though?: Not the one, another example is the Glucksmann Gallery in UCC, hahaha funny if it wasn't so serious...great country this alltogether ;-)

The UCC planning office was flooded the same time as Kingsley and Wrixon's Folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

In fairness people are inherintely greedy, the planners should of shot it down along with all the other underground carparks in the area day 1, but the nice folks just approved it all , then the county hall decided it a good idea to build their archive underground on a flood plain if they cant follow good policy themselves then they arent going to follow it with regards to a lot of builders applications.

Aye and sure Carrick On Shannon got a similar doing too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

evilivor wrote: »
    The UCC planning office was flooded the same time as Kingsley and Wrixon's Folly.

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

God rest my father Sean, an ex clerk of works, was proved correct when shortly after it opened commented to me that the underground car park was "going to be submerged" before long, what kind of engineers designed this project or were they trainees on work experience from college

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

My father was the Engineer in the dam at Inniscarra up until 1979 when he died and every winter spent hours awake doing figures to let the water off at the dam. I don't know how many times the ESB were taken to court by residents along that stretch of the Lee up to the city for flooding. It was a damned stupid place to build it and the whole of Cork said so at the time. It was only a matter of time........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

News brief on the Kingsley in Sunday Times today saying that it has been put into receivership by Bank of Ireland with debts of €25m. They also say as it uninsurable against flooding it's possibly worthless.

Advertisement