Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People caring about who the next President will be

• 25-10-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭

Has anyone realised yet that it doesn't MATTER who the next president will be?

All they have to do is meet the odd foreign dignitary, go to GAA games, turn a sod, cut a ribbon, meet old people and kiss babies.
    THAT'S IT!

So it doesn't make a blind bit of difference who gets in. The president does what they're told, end of. Any decision they make has to be approved by the government, any real work* is done by the Taoiseach and ministers.

It's purely a symbolic office, the same as the monarchy in England, so to all those saying the Gallagher is going to bring jobs, McGuinness is going to unite Ireland, Norris is going to legalise gay marriage, it's all pure sh1te.

the term 'real work' may not actually refer to real work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'd be unhappy to see some of the candidates getting that job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Op are you aware we have a constitution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

All they have to do is meet the odd foreign dignitary, go to GAA games, turn a sod, cut a ribbon, meet old people and kiss babies.
    THAT'S IT!

So it doesn't make a blind bit of difference who gets in. The president does what they're told, end of. Any decision they make has to be approved by the government, any real work* is done by the Taoiseach and ministers.

It's purely a symbolic office, the same as the monarchy in England, so to all those saying the Gallagher is going to bring jobs, McGuinness is going to unite Ireland, Norris is going to legalise gay marriage, it's all pure sh1te.

No it isn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

We still need a good person to represent Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

orourkeda wrote: »
    No it is'nt
    Only in so much as our President doesn't wear a crown.

• Advertisement

THAT'S IT!

Another well informed view on the presidency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The really unfortunate thing is that simpletons like the OP get a vote just like the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It's all about who will be the least embarrassing President

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

OP is proof that Sean Gallagher voters exist!

Jesus, some serious heads out there.

Only in so much as our President doesn't wear a crown.

My word

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »
    We still need a good person to represent Ireland.

I'll do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Another well informed view on the presidency.

Inform us from up there oh mighty sirrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A.B.Dana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

just let the current one keep it for another term, I know shes had her time but she did a grand job :)

Kasabian wrote: »
    I'll do it.

Will you really, how much?

Saila wrote: »
    just let the current one keep it for another term, I know shes had her time but she did a grand job :)

No fcuking way, she has had enough all ready.

Yakult wrote: »
    Inform us from up there oh mighty sirrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

To a small extent I agree.

I think Fine Gael are laughing at the moment - They don't care about the fact that Mitchell isn't going to win because this election has gotten the economy off the headlines for weeks.

My vote would be going to MDH, but I think he, David Norris, Gay Mitchell or Mary Davis would be perfectly competent. I would not like to see McGuinness, Dana or Gallagher in the position.

hondasam wrote: »
    Will you really, how much?

Are we still talking about representing Ireland?

I will do it for bed and board.

Are we still talking about representing Ireland?

I will do it for bed and board.

Bed and board it is :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

To a small extent I agree.

I think Fine Gael are laughing at the moment - They don't care about the fact that Mitchell isn't going to win because this election has gotten the economy off the headlines for weeks.

And why would they even care who wins, anything the President says or does has to get the go ahead from Fine Gael/Labour first. It doesn't matter who gets in, if it is Mitchell it's just easier to pull his strings.

From citizensinformation.ie
    The Government must approve all Presidential communications, messages or addresses, both to the Oireachtas (Irish houses of Parliament) and to the public.

Many of the powers of the President can only be exercised on the advice of the Government. This means that if the President wishes to exercise a power, he or she must first obtain the advice and agreement of the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Saila wrote: »

This is a prevalent sentiment but people seem to forget that Mary McAleese has made some outrageous statments - comparing Unionists to Nazis was simply embarassing (bridge building?) and her stand-off with the heads of the Catholic and Protestant churches about taking communion was pretty undignified.

She did a great job during the Queen's visit but it's typical in Ireland to either idolise or demonise. She belongs in the middle.

RubyRoss wrote: »
    This is a prevalent sentiment but people seem to forget that Mary McAleese has made some outrageous statments - comparing Unionists to Nazis was simply embarassing (bridge building?) and her stand-off with the heads of the Catholic and Protestant churches about taking communion was pretty undignified.

She did a great job during the Queen's visit but it's typical in Ireland to either idolise or demonise. She belongs in the middle.

There are very few politicians that can claim to have exemplary records in this manner. While one cant really condone comments like the ones you mention they were the exceptions rather than the rule.I thought she performed her duties with great dignity for the vast vast majority of her tenure in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

What exactly does the President do that a minister can't do?

Meet foreign dignitaries? Minister for Foreign Affairs.
    Turn a Sod? Minister for Agriculture.
    Kiss Babies? Minister for Children.
    Create Employment? Department of Jobs, Enterpriseand Innovation, Minister for Enterprise Trade and Employment.

And what's the story with all the debates? The US only have 3 debates normally. Whereas we have had 5 FFS.
    I guess, the whole thing fills the news and papers. When it's all over it's back to saving the euro etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

THAT'S IT!

Do you mean shoot the odd foreign dignitary, steal some sod and molest some babies ?? It'd fit in well with some of the candidates that are in the running.

Op are you aware we have a constitution?

A constitution can be amended.
    Maybe they should have included an option of "I do not want a President" on the ballot paper. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Maybe they should have included an option of "I do not want a President" on the ballot paper. :pac:

Or make your own box, with none of the above written beside it.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Do you mean shoot the odd foreign dignitary, steal some sod and molest some babies ?? It'd fit in well with some of the candidates that are in the running.

Do you think its really necessary to castigate some of the candidates as child molesters?

Why would you turn and vote for "I do not want a president" when staying at home or abstaining serves the same purpose

• Advertisement

What exactly does the President do that a minister can't do?

Meet foreign dignitaries? Minister for Foreign Affairs.
    Turn a Sod? Minister for Agriculture.
    Kiss Babies? Minister for Children.
    Create Employment? Department of Jobs, Enterpriseand Innovation, Minister for Enterprise Trade and Employment.

And what's the story with all the debates? The US only have 3 debates normally. Whereas we have had 5 FFS.
    I guess, the whole thing fills the news and papers. When it's all over it's back to saving the euro etc etc.

They only have two candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

To demonstrate our 'smart economy' and display our commitment to it to businesses and other countries, I propose that our next President be a cyborg.

Why would you turn and vote for "I do not want a president" when staying at home or abstaining serves the same purpose

We should be given the option to dissolve the office of President and if that option won the day then the constitution would be amended. If Michael D say won out over the option to dissolve then well that's democracy and the president's role would stay but I'd still have exercised my right to vote.

2 candidates have 3 debates. Not like our little island, with the Late Late, Vincent Brown, Frontline etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

The next president should at least be from this country.

Having someone from the UK as president for 14 years is queer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You wouldn't mind if Larry Murphy got the gig so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I do think there's probably a fair bit of truth in this.

It's also meant that very little public attention has been given to the two referenda, the second of which (inquiries one) is seriously dodgy IMHO.

I do think there's probably a fair bit of truth in this.

It's also meant that very little public attention has been given to the two referenda, the second of which (inquiries one) is seriously dodgy IMHO.

I'm having a read of these later to see what we are voting to change.
    At the moment I have not got a clue about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's all about who will be the least embarrassing President

Nah, it's all about which one we think is most deserving of a fancy house, €325000 a year and several all-expenses-paid trips abroad :pac:. Sure tis practically a reality show! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mickrock wrote: »
    The next president should at least be from this country.

Having someone from the UK as president for 14 years is queer!

When did this happen?

All presidents are citizens of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

The US only have 3 debates normally. Whereas we have had 5 FFS.

To be fair, they usually have a no-hoper third candidate as well, we just never hear about them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

nibtrix wrote: »
    To be fair, they usually have a no-hoper third candidate as well, we just never hear about them...

Is Dana going to run in America as well? Is that why she became a US citizen?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    When did this happen?

All presidents are citizens of Ireland.

In 1997.

She couldn't vote in the election herself, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Is the President in charge of the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

KTRIC wrote: »

My word! I assure you my monocle has fallen into my glass of brandy in shock! Which president did that? I trust you have some sort of proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

seanbmc wrote: »

Technically the President is Supreme Commander but the responsibility and real power lies with the Minister for Defence and the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mickrock wrote: »
    In 1997.

She couldn't vote in the election herself, though.

Mary McAleese is an Irish citizen, and was so in 1997. If you think an accident of a person's birth defines a person's nationality for the rest of their life you are so wrong.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Mary McAleese is an Irish citizen, and was so in 1997. If you think an accident of a person's birth defines a person's nationality for the rest of their life you are so wrong.

I'd love if a staunch Unionist ran for president, for a laugh, and got in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

seanbmc wrote: »

Yes.

It's the Presidents job to whistle for them at night and let them out for a pee first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Of course it matters to all of us who represents us on the international stage. Naturally, the President has to act within the parameters of his or her constitutional powers, but there is always some room for manoeuvre and style plays a big part. I certainly don't want a religious fundi or a former bagman for a failed political party embarrassing us in the world media. That's why I could live with McGuinness, Michael D, Norris (all of proven ability), but would be very worried about the others.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yes.

It's the Presidents job to whistle for them at night ...

What's the point of doing that? Aren't they all deaf?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement