Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork words you just don't hear anymore

Options
  • 25-10-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who doesn't know, Cork has it's own ridiculously large amount of slang. At one point it had a pidgeon english language used on the Coal Quay called Fishmongers Language too (My Grandmother used to speak it all the time), but that's long since gone. There's a book on cork slang by Sean Beecher which is well worth a read, and boardsie dahamsta has a website version up online too (AFAIK, he's related to the author).

Was googling it last night, and it came to me - there's a load of words we used to use we don't really anymore. When was the last time you heard a scummy kid called a wah, or a scobe? I haven't heard anyone say feen or beoir in a long time either.

Anyone else got words which would have been used in Cork that aren't anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I thought scobe was in Dublin too? I've heard it on and off, not only restricted to Cork. And not directed at me either, just to point out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Here's another Book written by Morty McCarthy, he of Sultans of Ping fame!

http://www.dowtchaboy.com/index.htm

I gave a copy of it to a Greek guy that worked in the office as he hadn't a clue what we were talking about. A funny moment followed one Friday afternoon when the office was very quiet, everybody finishing off work for the weekend he pipes up with the following, in his best greek accent:

"Guys. Are you going on the ran tan this evening?"

Everyone burst out laughing because it was just out of the blue! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Here's another Book written by Morty McCarthy, he of Sultans of Ping fame!

http://www.dowtchaboy.com/index.htm

I have this book too. It's brilliant! My favourite one is for sausage - a widow's memory!! :pac::pac::pac: Anyone ever actally hear it used?? Can't say I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

scobe would be quite common I'd have thought.
    gowl would be one I don't hear these days.

I never heard anyone use feen or beoir when I was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Lads you obviously don't be in the northside or work with anyone from the northside because gowl, feen, beour, wah are always used. Hate beour! Often hear godloom from a guy I work with, so annoying.
    Don't hear anyone going on a jag anymore!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I actually heard someone refer to a colleague as a gowl in the office yesterday...thought to myself that there's a word I hadn;t heard in a long time.

Jointed is another one I haven;t heard in ages.

deRanged wrote: »

I never heard anyone use feen or beoir when I was growing up.

Seriously?
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    Lads you obviously don't be in the northside or work with anyone from the northside because gowl, feen, beour, wah are always used. .............

They're hardly unique to the Northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Lads you obviously don't be in the northside or work with anyone from the northside because gowl, feen, beour, wah are always used. Hate beour! Often hear godloom from a guy I work with, so annoying.
    Don't hear anyone going on a jag anymore!?

Godloom? Always thought that was "Ah Galloooooon ba". Herad a young fella say it recently and almost fell over with amusement. First time I had heard it said in 20 years Id say.

I have heard jag quite a bit recently actually.

"Gatch". I still use that and get looked at silly more often that not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

RoverJames wrote: »
    Seriously?

yeah. I'm not from the city though, so maybe that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah cork slang is great...I never knew that a lot of words were Cork related until I went away and people were like where did you hear that...Love the word plawmaser (dont know if that is the correct spellling) that may be just a Irish word in general too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Lads, what age are ye roughly?
    I'm mid twenties and feen, beoir, wa, scope and jointed were common growing up!
    I still use and hear jointed regularly. I use and hear wa and scope sometimes. I hear/use feen rarely, usually if ever imitating a "mad feen" !

Beoir I mostly use with one friend who absolutely hates the term :P

What about "gombean", or is that just a random term in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

I still hear beoir and scobe used around Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Our cats name is Beour. My inlaws had a tom cat whose name was Sham.

I shít you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Referring to someone as a 'fla', generally lead to your friend asking their friend if the 'fla' will 'go way with you'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

gimmick wrote: »
    Our cats name is Beour. My inlaws had a tom cat whose name was Sham.

I shít you not.

Daysent. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Referring to someone as a 'fla', generally lead to your friend asking their friend if the 'fla' will 'go way with you'. :D
    Ya, definitely one that I use to hear used a lot but not anymore. Although it would be creepy if I was still at teen discos I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

giving someone a 50 was regular in our vocab as was describing the local hunk as a gawser. if you were very lucky you got a jag off him . then if it became a regular thing you were jagging :D happy days !!

deRanged wrote: »
    yeah. I'm not from the city though, so maybe that's why.

That might explain it, if you were from the City (anywhere not just the Northside) you'd have heard and probably used them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

lamp - see, lamp yer wan over there
    crabitt - smart in a sneaky way
    knavshawling - kid giving out
    smedger - pervert
    chalk it down - im in agreement
    stall the beans - wait

some of these im sure arent just cork and may still be widely, i just dont hear them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Ludo wrote: »
    I actually heard someone refer to a colleague as a gowl in the office yesterday...thought to myself that there's a word I hadn;t heard in a long time.

Jointed is another one I haven;t heard in ages.
    Do I work with you? Ha. Always use both those words!
    poconnor16 wrote: »
    Daysent. :)
    Always use this.
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    lamp - see, lamp yer wan over there
    crabitt - smart in a sneaky way
    knavshawling - kid giving out
    smedger - pervert
    chalk it down - im in agreement
    stall the beans - wait

some of these im sure arent just cork and may still be widely, i just dont hear them anymore

Never heard those two, but do hear the other ones.

You wouldn't realise the amount of words you use that others rarely hear or know what they mean. I work with quite a few from Cobh and a lot of those words they don't have a clue about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Lapsi Pa.....The great Cork undiagnosable disease, you see a fellow walking down the road and he is limbing/has a dropped shoulder/a guzz eye (another great Cork one) My grandmother would say "Him he have a touch of the Lapsi Pa"

How about the rhyme "In Clankittan where the fleas ate the man"

"Give me a gooks at that magazine i.e give me a look at it.
    Give us the ux ( the core of an apple)
    Any one want to tell me where Timber Cross is (its on the SOuthside)
    He was stowshush (very drunk) Three sheets in the wind (same thing)
    She/ he is a lash (a fine thing)

discostu1 wrote: »
    Any one want to tell me where Timber Cross is (its on the SOuthside)...........

Victoria Cross ish?

Anyone know where Timber Cross is
    Victoria Cross ish?

Nope where Evergreen street meets Tower street, and Quaker road

Twas like Lunhams i.e there was a lot of blood e.g after a fight or even after cutting yourself shaving. Lunhams used to make sausages and hams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Owen wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't know, Cork has it's own ridiculously large amount of slang. At one point it had a pidgeon english language used on the Coal Quay called Fishmongers Language too (My Grandmother used to speak it all the time), but that's long since gone. There's a book on cork slang by Sean Beecher which is well worth a read, and boardsie dahamsta has a website version up online too (AFAIK, he's related to the author).

Was googling it last night, and it came to me - there's a load of words we used to use we don't really anymore. When was the last time you heard a scummy kid called a wah, or a scobe? I haven't heard anyone say feen or beoir in a long time either.

Anyone else got words which would have been used in Cork that aren't anymore?

Cemer feen did ya ever have a gawk at d PROC boy?

Gawk used also mean to vomit,
    "I had a bad pint and I got the gawk" dont hear that much anymore

You are correct, its one that always interests me, unless of course it is spelt differently.

Or it a different context.

He Gawked up.....he vomited,
    Have a Gawk at that there willa.....look at that there will you.

Anyone out there know for sure?

I recall a BBC show from years back. They were doing a documentary about the English language and how it was spoken differently in other places.

So they arrive out to Murphys brewery in Blackpool. They got one of the lads who worked on the production line to explain the brewing process.

It was pure class, they put up sub titles across the bottom of the screen while the poor guy was speaking........like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I know one person who uses a lot of these words regularly and he isn't even from cork. He is from Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

I'd the Gawks awful bad lastnight
    Shes some Gomie
    Hes an awful langball that fella
    Shes a LASH
    Would ya goway ya mog

Advertisement