Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to drive?

• 25-10-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Has anyone gone over to the US and learned to drive over there? I'd be interested in doing the crashiest crash course I can find... just wondering how I could go about it.

Obviously going to the US with no drivers licence is not the best, but I don't have the time to sort it before I get over there.

I would be in LA, but if you've done it anywhere then let me know. I guess you need to have a social security number? Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The rules for driving and issuing of licences vary from state to state so you'll need to consult the relevant dmv website.

I did my test in TX, as a foreigner the state allowed my 1 year on my Irish licence but insurance is cheaper with a US licence. I needed my ssn and proof of legal status (visa in my case). I did a (very easy) computer based multiple choice test and then a few days later a drive around the block and then I'd passed. My licence expired once my status did so in my case I had to go back every year and queue with my updated documents to renew my licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I did my test in MA a number of years ago.
    I had a social security number at the time and if I recall I needed to quote it on the application.

I had no Irish license before I went over
    I did just applied through the MA DMV and sat the theory test to get a permit, which is similar to a provisional here.
    Then I sat the driving test a few months later, it was very straight forward.

As the last poster said rules vary by state so your first stop should be the CA DMV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I did my test in CA. I got a copy of the official California handbook. It was extremely useful to understand the rules and the theory test. I then took the theory test to get a permit. (*Note: You cannot take the actual driving test without this).

Then, a week or two later I sat the driving test itself. If you're a completely new learner you should take some lessons between the theory test and the driving test. Get comfortable with US roads and being on the opposite side of the road also. Most information you'll need is on the CA DMV site.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

+1 to everything above.

But also ... take a few lessons from a pro. There's stuff they teach in Europe (that makes perfect sense to me) that will get you failed over here. I remember the instructor took exception to my steering. The pros will get you through no sweat. ( The ease of passing the test is, sadly, reflected in the standards of driving found here !).

Also think about automatic v. stick. Most schools/testers here will assume automatic ('here' being NY/NJ). Don't know about LA, but I could not imagine trying to driver stick here in the city - it would be a new transmission every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Great responses, thanks very much!
    I'd be going over there with no licence at all, so it's not just a conversion I'm after.

I checked out the DMV site... seems all very straightforward. Theory test and then appointment for a practical test. A few lessons in between and that should be it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You're lucky. I live in New Hampshire and despite being 28 they want me to take drivers ed (8 week course and costs 600 bucks). I only had a provisional back in Ireland you see.

My girlfriend lives in Tennessee and I'm down there every 5 weeks or so, making the drivers ed course impossible. I'm pretty annoyed at myself for not moving to MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

Anybody try to get a licence in MA. I have a full licence in Ireland, so just wondering do I still have to do the theory and test. Or can you receive some kind of yearly licence because I already have full European Driving licence??

Anybody try to get a licence in MA. I have a full licence in Ireland, so just wondering do I still have to do the theory and test. Or can you receive some kind of yearly licence because I already have full European Driving licence??

You'll have to do the entire test, written & vision and once you pass those you'll have to drive around with a state trooper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My test in IL was very easy done. I got my permit by doing the vision/written test (computer actually) and done a bit of practice with my inlaws and wife. A few months later, I took the driving exam. I spent most of the time chatting with the instructor about Ireland and it was very relaxing. I think it took all of about 10 minutes and then she told me to turn and head back to the DMV, passed. :) I have been driving for a little over a year now, no licence in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My experience was similar to Ruu. I was helped by the person in front of me having an accident during the test, and the tester having to drive the car back to the center! As we got in the car, the tester joked with me that he'd pass me as long as I didn't kill both of us.... think he was relieved to have a not-teenager for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SC wasn't too bad the worst was being twenty something and having to get in the car with the old man. It was like boot camp with the amount of roaring he did at me it's a wonder I didn't drive into a ditch from the stress... Actually a few times I pulled into the ditch and told him to drive if he was going to be a **** about it.

Professional help is advised I finished with a 911 driving school it was run entirely by off duty cops, you can't honestly beat that. Got everything right the first go anyway.

But yeah it must be said the transition from Ireland with no car and the USA with no car was completely jarring. Most cities are not pedestrian friendly especially in the suburbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I got my license in IN. Because I had held a full license in Ireland they waived the drivers ed requirment, I just had to pass the vison, theory and driving test. After telling the tester that I had an irish license for a few years and how tough the test there is, he just had me drive around the block.

When we moved to OH, we just needed to pass the theory test to exchange our IN license for an OH one.

I can't take drivers ed due to work commitments. My girlfriend lives in Tennessee and I'm down there 2 weeks out of every 5. I pay the DSL and water bill (both in my name). I wonder could I just do the test in TN. I just plan on driving down there anyway and not in NH. If not I would be tempted to rent another place in MA and do the test there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

We did our test in NC two and half weeks ago you can only use yourIrish license for 60 days, so we went to the DMV did a vision/theory test on a computer and road test. We both passed first time and we had a restriction put on our license as we didn't have our own car- we went back Tuesday and paid $10 to have it removed once we bought our own car and produced our insurance.We were told if you fail the test we could sit it two more times that week and not have to paid again!

Advertisement