Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dexters

• 25-10-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I see a sale of Dexter cattle in Ballybay mart this saturday,does anyone know anything about this breed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

I think the people who keep and breed them get (extra ?) money in REPS under rear breeds .......Don't think they'l bring U grades any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

It would be unusual to see them at a mart as they are a small breed. They have a fairly large following in the uk with the smallholder and are making a bit of a comeback here. There are also a few large commercial breeders around here and there, actually up the Ballybay direction.

Originally from Kerry area.

No, they'd never get a U grade or even a high kg kill out, but they have been voted best beef for taste a few years running and would be considered a premium beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

think they did qualify under reps.unsure od new sceheme....
    talkin to fella once that had them..had a 50 cow herd..said only for it--hard to make money off them
    think top bullock he ever had was--400kg liveweight... think got €800
    me a hobby breed..unless got grants for them--rare breed like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

scub wrote: »
    It would be unusual to see them at a mart as they are a small breed.

If you stand still and look real close though, you will just about make them out scuttling through the sawdust in the sales ring:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

wiggy123 wrote: »
    think they did qualify under reps.unsure od new sceheme....
    talkin to fella once that had them..had a 50 cow herd..said only for it--hard to make money off them
    think top bullock he ever had was--400kg liveweight... think got €800
    me a hobby breed..unless got grants for them--rare breed like

Is there not some special factory scheme for them as well, I think I read about that a while back. But it may be some factory up north?

I read on the BFF that M&S are now doing a "Dexter beef" line with this crowd http://finnebrogue.com/
    Seems to be Ireland only, that crowd are based in the North.

I know nothing about the breed - they seem to be popular with the smallholder. Be interested in finding out more though...

• Advertisement

@bizzum LOL

Coolshannagh I'd be curious to know how they faired if you went to the mart?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I ll put up a few numbers next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Maiden heifers 450 to 550 .In calf heifer 650 .

Thanks for that, seems a bit low. Perhaps not registered. A couple of heifers at that price for the freezer would have been nice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement