Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick summary of candidates?

• 25-10-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm not the brightest fella in the world , so i don't really follow everything that goes on in the elections, Can anybody tell me or refer me to a site that can quickly summarize all of the candidates policies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I'm not the brightest fella in the world , so i don't really follow everything that goes on in the elections, Can anybody tell me or refer me to a site that can quickly summarize all of the candidates policies?

Candidates policies don't matter since the role has no input on government or state policy.
    They are a figure head and are there to rubber stamp government bills or pass them to the council of state made up of ex taoisigh and some others.

The role of president is to represent the country on foreign visits, to agree to offically disolve the Dail, to give out minsiterial seals of office, to open events and to greet foreign visitors and embassadors to the country.

They can create shag all jobs.

To me a president needs to be somewhat personable, dignified, above reproach and basically be able to make small talk and appear ok when meeting people.

For a start that rules out.
    gallagher - a liar and dodgy ff party hack and dodgy businesman
    mcguinness - leader of terrorist organisation and long term apologists for murder
    Mitchell - possibly right wing religious with the appeal of a dead fish
    Dana - right wing religious nutjob even if personable
    Davis - quango member and very well paid charity director
    Norris - excusor for ex boyfriends with dodgy practices

Higgins - straight talking and willing to go out on a limb to stand up for his principles. Educated and well able to hob nob with any dignitaries as often required. Best of a bad bunch.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

jmayo wrote: »
    Candidates policies don't matter since the role has no input on government or state policy.
    They are a figure head and are there to rubber stamp government bills or pass them to the council of state made up of ex taoisigh and some others.

The role of president is to represent the country on foreign visits, to agree to offically disolve the Dail, to give out minsiterial seals of office, to open events and to greet foreign visitors and embassadors to the country.

They can create shag all jobs.

To me a president needs to be somewhat personable, dignified, above reproach and basically be able to make small talk and appear ok when meeting people.

For a start that rules out.
    gallagher - a liar and dodgy ff party hack and dodgy businesman
    mcguinness - leader of terrorist organisation and long term apologists for murder
    Mitchell - possibly right wing religious with the appeal of a dead fish
    Dana - right wing religious nutjob even if personable
    Davis - quango member and very well paid charity director
    Norris - excusor for ex boyfriends with dodgy practices

Higgins - straight talking and willing to go out on a limb to stand up for his principles. Educated and well able to hob nob with any dignitaries as often required. Best of a bad bunch.

Yu havent mentioned that he has been playing it safe and getting his party hacks to do his dirty work - like that woman who tackled Gallagher last night - you could see her reaction to Higgins later she is a supporter.
    Higgins and his labour party cronies were not concerned about Gallagher earlier in the campaign and instead concentrated on Norris.

For all the abuse that McGuinness deservedly gets at least he had the balls to ask the difficult questions last night.....unlike play it safe and I will pull through Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Mary Davis
    Independent, Proffessional Committee Member. If she gets elected at least everyone will remember her name. A Trinity of Mary's if you will:D

Gay Mitchel
    Fine Gael, MEP, decent politician but lost the cool A LOT during the campaign so he's near the bottom of the poll.

Michael D. Higgins
    Labour, First Minister of Arts and Culture, created the environment for a successful film industry and founded TG4. Has some international reputation for Human rights and the Arts. Eccentric and short. Kept his cool during the campaign, perhaps due to 40 years experience.

Martin McGuiness
    Sinn Féin, Former Provo who has entered and performed in mainstream politics successfully. Again, credited with attracting investment (hence jobs) to the North. Could be a devisive choice domestically.

David Norris
    Independent. Senator, Gay rights activist, Joycean Scholar. Very colourful and witty Character. Mischievous choice.

Dana
    Independent, former winner of Eurovision song contest and former MEP. Was very politically active in highlighting issues during the discussion regarding the European Constitution. Looks emotional and lost her cool in this campaign. Bottom of the polls

Sean Gallagher
    Independent. Entreprenuer / Buisness man. He has been on Dragons Den. The Seriously Political minded have panicked and really gone for him when they thought he might win. He was a very committed FF member till recently, has no experience, is a bit Celtic tiger cub and keeps promising he'll create jobs:rolleyes:

I guess it's obvious how I'm voting. I tried to sound impartial but :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dixiefly wrote: »
    Yu havent mentioned that he has been playing it safe and getting his party hacks to do his dirty work - like that woman who tackled Gallagher last night - you could see her reaction to Higgins later she is a supporter.
    Higgins and his labour party cronies were not concerned about Gallagher earlier in the campaign and instead concentrated on Norris.

For all the abuse that McGuinness deservedly gets at least he had the balls to ask the difficult questions last night.....unlike play it safe and I will pull through Higgins.

Better their so called "dirty work" than the dirty work of the other two whose parties apologised and some members even orchestrated the murder of countless innocent people including children or the party which sunk this country because they tried to benefit a connected few including the candidate themselves. :rolleyes:

BTW mcguinnes might have the balls to ASK the difficult questions, but he doesn't have the balls to ANSWER the difficult questions.

BTW thanks to Greaney who gave a much more detailed appraisal of the candidates than time allowed me last night.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Gay Mitchell

The only candidate in desperate need of a good ride. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Why dont you jsut go on to thier websites ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

anymore wrote: »
    Why dont you jsut go on to thier websites ?

seriously ? the OP asked for a Quick summary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ok here you go..
    • A Gay Posh Prod
    • A man called Gay who isn't gay
    • A west of ireland man who might be mistaken as gay but isn't
    • An ex Provo
    • A conservative right wing catholic nutjob
    • A woman called Mary
    • A businessman with a big square head
    the choice is yours;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Back it up or your talking nonsense. I have no affiliation to any party and I think the same thing about Gallagher and will be voting for Higgins.

She can be voting for him and not actually have anything to do with the man. Most voters are like that but the party hacks don't understand it as it isn't their world.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

Give me liberty to explain in rhyme if I may;

Sean? Well his head looks like a big toe
    Martin, he knows of materials that blow

Dana is just simply totally bonkers
    Mitchell less charisma than a half bag of conkers

Norris wrote lots of words for a crim
    Michael D talks like he's singing a hymn

Sean's head also looks like a mango
    And Mary? Well Mary's the queen of the quango

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Won't beat Hopper with this lot but heck. :)

The candidates.

Dr Evil (this photo was taken before he was Botoxed to bejaysus for the campaign mind.)

dr-evil-800x600-wallpaper-211.jpg

Mary Tyler Moore...or at least as young looking as MTM

210px-Mary_Tyler_Moore_1988.jpg

The Derry Duo, DR and Quinch

quinch.jpg

Tame Mountain Troll.

olaf.jpg

and finally, that misery The Grinch

new1_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Berwick

Greaney wrote: »
    Mary Davis
    Independent, Proffessional Committee Member. If she gets elected at least everyone will remember her name. A Trinity of Mary's if you will:D

Gay Mitchel
    Fine Gael, MEP, decent politician but lost the cool A LOT during the campaign so he's near the bottom of the poll.

Michael D. Higgins
    Labour, First Minister of Arts and Culture, created the environment for a successful film industry and founded TG4. Has some international reputation for Human rights and the Arts. Eccentric and short. Kept his cool during the campaign, perhaps due to 40 years experience.

Martin McGuiness
    Sinn Féin, Former Provo who has entered and performed in mainstream politics successfully. Again, credited with attracting investment (hence jobs) to the North. Could be a devisive choice domestically.

David Norris
    Independent. Senator, Gay rights activist, Joycean Scholar. Very colourful and witty Character. Mischievous choice.

Dana
    Independent, former winner of Eurovision song contest and former MEP. Was very politically active in highlighting issues during the discussion regarding the European Constitution. Looks emotional and lost her cool in this campaign. Bottom of the polls

Sean Gallagher
    Independent. Entreprenuer / Buisness man. He has been on Dragons Den. The Seriously Political minded have panicked and really gone for him when they thought he might win. He was a very committed FF member till recently, has no experience, is a bit Celtic tiger cub and keeps promising he'll create jobs:rolleyes:

A good summing up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dirty tricks against Norris? Like asking Dublin City Councillors to nominate him?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Dirty tricks against Norris? Like asking Dublin City Councillors to nominate him?

Well, that's just a cheap trick, using facts.

Advertisement