Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table saw vs. Finger!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Crazy stuff :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

A fine piece of technology but not something I'd like to rely on. I think I'll keep using the push stick. All the same, you could see it being a useful safety device in some places - it'll probably end up being a legal requirement of all saws and woodworking tools eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dmcgarry

slowburner wrote: »
    A fine piece of technology but not something I'd like to rely on. I think I'll keep using the push stick. All the same, you could see it being a useful safety device in some places - it'll probably end up being a legal requirement of all saws and woodworking tools eventually.
    will be a requirement sooner than later alright....

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25130/man-wins-big-money-in-tablesaw-lawsuit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Woah :eek:

Mind you, if you saw the wound I have in my hand now from the bandsaw, you might think this technology is a good thing.

i think its a great thing, there's another variation at:

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

it doesnt destroy your blade and certain parts like saw stop... build into the saw guard... and just hammers on the brakes as opposed to jabbing something into it... whose to say if you have a crap blade with saw stop that bits aren't going to break and go flying/spinning??

• Advertisement

and it comes with a bandsaw option!!! :D

Hopefully, the effects of that lawsuit will not carry over to these shores - the implications would be too massive to bear thinking about.

i actually would like to see safer table saws, too many people remove safety devices and i know its every man to his own but safety devices are there for a reason.

something like this could save a genuine safe woodworker who was maybe working in the shop a bit tired and have a lapse in concentration or if someone startled you in the shop and you slip or that, all good reasons to have it.

i know it'd probably slap on an extra €100 to the cost of a saw but how much is a finger or hand worth these days? :)

It would be good to see the device on new saws alright. But if they had to be retrofitted, that would be problematical.
    If it became law, I wonder what saws they would have to be fitted to. Presumably all floor standing machines like table saws, band saws, planers would be required to have them fitted, would chop saws too? And what about the portable circular saw, portable planer and jigsaw?
    It's all hypothetical anyway, I don't think it will be a requirement here for a long time, if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dmcgarry wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that these things should probably be fitted to saws in the future, suing a company because they didn't fit something that the purchaser knew 100% beforehand wasn't fitted to his saw when he bought it is completely ridiculous and could only happen in the USA (I think!)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that these things should probably be fitted to saws in the future, suing a company because they didn't fit something that the purchaser knew 100% beforehand wasn't fitted to his saw when he bought it is completely ridiculous and could only happen in the USA (I think!)
    Similarly, could the driver of a pre-air bag car sue the car manufacturer if they suffered a particular type of injury because there was no air bag fitted?
    If this was the case, then every car would have to have air bags retrofitted and that's not going to happen - hopefully the same logic applies to flesh detection devices and woodworking machines.

Here's another question: the blurb on the device states that the blade is brought to a complete stop in 1/8th of a second. Is that fast enough to prevent real damage?
    Last week I managed to push the front of my hand into a fully exposed, 3 tpi bandsaw blade running at full speed. I am pretty sure that I managed to pull the hand back in less then 1/8th of a second but the damage was enough to cause pretty serious damage. If the blade had hit half an inch below where it did, I would have lost a finger.
    I have my doubts that a finger would be saved in 1/8th of a second if it hit a table saw blade running at full speed.

It is also a possibility that someone new to woodworking could be mislead into thinking that they could disregard safe working practice because the F.T.D. would look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think the device linked to in the first post was much quicker than that (milliseconds), but caused quite a lot of damage to the saw itself. The second one is slower as it relies on a non-destructive mechanical brake, and so is probably designed to minimize injury rather than remove all risk a bit like the emergency brakes on chainsaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Engage your brain before powering up machines tools.

I have a lot of respect for my machines.
    Not only do you need to respect dangerous tools, you also have to fight the danger of becoming complacent using them.

Be Safe.

:) This is going on the wall of the workshack.
    Not only do you need to respect dangerous tools, you also have to fight the danger of becoming complacent using them.
    Be Safe.
    Complacency must be the biggest cause of accidents.
    But I'm sure we've all taken silly risks when under pressure or to meet a deadline - I know I have.
    The other silly thing is fatigue - this can be very hard to avoid, again especially if you are under pressure.
    One of the major contributing factors to fatigue is noise. I find that wearing ear defenders helps enormously in reducing this kind of fatigue.
    They also keep your ears toasty and you get the right to pick and choose conversations - "Sorry, can't hear you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Be Safe.
    Well said

for after hours for a je ne regrette rien result
    Engage tool before powering up brain:D

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Well said

for after hours for a je ne regrette rien result
    Engage tool before powering up brain:D
    or 'Power up tool before engaging brain'

Advertisement