Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PNG embedded in notification email

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

tricky D wrote: »
    The email notification for the post below came with the png embedded in the email at size of 346k. I doubt that was supposed to happen.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75114175&postcount=320
    That's actually text contained within an img code, so the image is part of the text essentially. Below is the actual text of what was written in that post (I've removed a massive chunk of the below png /text/).
    [noparse]
    Lads, don't worry, we have a plan

[Embedded Image Removed]

Is there a Plan B?[/noparse]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ah, see what you mean now (if it wasn't for those damn pesky elipses hiding those chars, I woulda ...). However, it might be worth considering truncating such URLs as FF iirc still cuts off at 1024 chars in a URL which presumably is why the image won't display for me in my default FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Actually, it has just happened again with 216k of chars in a jpeg this time. The image is displaying on thread in FF, so the URL being truncated bit is suspect.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75131267&postcount=749

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

This is an issue we're aware of and we're looking into it. Our plan is to remove the ability to embed images as data URIs in posts and get people to either link to a version hosted elsewhere or use attachments.

Embedded images have all sort of horrible implications in the mobile app under development so this has a reasonably high priority.

We hadn't considered the issues they cause with email notifications so thanks for bringing this to our attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Users were using their browser to embed images (Right click->Copy Image->Paste in reply box). It only worked in certain browsers, with certain images and and certain operating systems. The fix for this will be deployed in the next few minutes, data URIs are no longer acceptable in posts.

Posters will be shown an error stating they should attach images to the post and embed them using image tags or just hotlink images from another site (e.g. tinypic/imageshack etc) using image tags.

If this happens again from here on out please file another report or just post in this one again and we'll look into it.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement