Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad from Harvey Norman

Options
  • 25-10-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi, just have a question regarding this issue!
    My grandparents went into Harvey Norman looking for a replacement computer as the laptop they had was broken. The sales person asked what they used their computer for and they explained not for very much, just a bit of internet browsing and email etc. My gran mainly uses it to watch videos online. The sales assistant told them that an ipad would best suit their needs and made it out to be the most amazing thing in the world. They ended up buying one, when they told us we said that they probably shouldn't have and the guy was just trying to earn commission. They really don't know any better as the two of the are technophobes :o
    Now, they have an ipad that they can barely use even though the sales assistant said that it would be perfect for them, and my gran can't watch any of her stuff because they are flash based. The assistant never told them that either. They want to return it and get a different kind of tablet as they like the idea of them but they want one that's not apple. There was several other things the assistant didn't tell them too. He also tried to convince them they needed the one with the biggest memory but my grandad insisted they wouldn't need it! So (sorry about the rambling post) Harvey Norman has no change of mind policy. They won't return items. Is there anyway to bring it back even for a credit note for the store since it was all down to the sales assistant or are they well within their rights? I know they probably are, just feel sorry for my grandparents who spent so much money on it and are now not happy with it at all! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

Not much commission to be made from any apple products or none at all so i say the salesperson genuinely taught a ipad would be best for there needs.

A fix for you problem though is to download the skyfire browser as it handles some flash content.
    Just download it in the app store.

Apple and miele products in small print are exempt from offers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Oh really? I just assumed there was as I heard before Harvey Norman workers get commission on everything! My mother worked in Carphone and she got good commission on Iphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

no not apple products . Everything but .

the small print on did or Harvey for example during sales always says excludes apple or miele products.

read more on the skyfire web browser :

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skyfire-web-browser/id384941497?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Go back to the store and talk to the manager. Explain that you feel your grandparents were pressurised into purchasing a product that did not really suit their needs.

If this gets you no where, then try a registered letter to head office, plus the store manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tbh I think pressured is a strong word. Influenced maybe.

Speaking as a very happy iPad owner my dad is always looking at it saying he's going to get one - first few times he used it he thought it was horrendous! :)

Maybe they just need to get used to it some more?
    And download skyfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm an android fan myself but I think that the salesperson was correct in saying that the iPad was suitable for your grandparents. The iPad does show video, flash is not necessarily video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Really it's one of the most simple pieces of kit on the market, I think the sales person was right to recommend it for it. For around €25 you can get a card reader too so they can import all the photos from their digital camera to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

sounds like the sales person was themselves a fan of apple products when off the top of my head i can think of far more suitable (and cheaper!) alternative laptops and netbooks that a store like harvey norman would have had in stock!

i wonder at all would this be covered by the "product unsuitable for it's intended purpose" idea in the sale of goods act?

the OP's grandparents, nor the OP should have to download anything extra to "make" the product "somewhat" suitable for their needs, they should have been sold a product that was suitable for their needs as specifically conveyed to the sales assistant, whose advice they were solely dependent upon.

i would suggest going in and having a chat with the original sales assistant as i've always found them very approachable and helpful here in their limerick store, and he might refer you to the manager for an exchange and partial credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They went into the store and asked for a laptop. They were not sold a laptop. Talk to the Store Manager and ask for rectification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

If I were you I would call in and speak to the manager and explain the situation, just let them know that if they refund you the money that you will be spending it in that shop anyway so it makes no difference to them, anyway I heard before shops dont make a huge amount on apple products so could suit them even more to let you get something else.

No harm in trying anyhoo!

• Advertisement

donalg1 wrote: »
    just let them know that if they refund you the money that you will be spending it in that shop anyway so it makes no difference to them

Once it's activated through iTunes any dealings transfer from the shop to Apple. It's in the small print when you buy any Apple product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ever see the South Park episode about not reading the iTunes Terms & Conditions

No but I experienced first hand a 4 week war with O2 when my iPhone 4 was fcuked from the second I turned it on. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

smash wrote: »
    No but I experienced first hand a 4 week war with O2 when my iPhone 4 was fcuked from the second I turned it on. :mad::mad:

This has nothing to do with the op's query :confused:

amdublin wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with the op's query :confused:
    Read my post above: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75142336&postcount=12

Once activated, you can't just return it. Any issues etc with the product are dealt with by apple as the contract transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm a bit torn on this. They're old enough not to be making such expensive impulse purchases. They should have got the info on the day and then follow that up with a little bit of research, ask a few knowledgeable friends/relations. They didn't, they placed their trust in the sales rep. In the end I do think the item was mis-sold, nothing to do with apples t+cs. I'd be bringing it back and speaking to the manager straight away. How many of us reading the OP cringed a little bit when watching videos online and an ipad was mentioned together? I will admit, that it almost suits (i gave my 60yr old mother a samsung tab for very similar usage and she loves it - she's horrendous with a mouse!) their needs but flash video is a huge factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Once activated, you can't just return it. Any issues etc with the product are dealt with by apple as the contract transfers.

Your statutory rights and entitlements never transfer, no matter what Apple or O2 (or any retailer) put in a contract. They may want you to deal with Apple, but you are under no obligation to do so in the event of a faulty product.

In this case, the product is not faulty, so statutory entitlements do not apply, unless it can be shown that the product was miss-sold in the first place. This could be hard to prove, especially since they were in the shop and would have had opportunity to check it out first. It's not as if they came away believing that they had bought a laptop, they knew it was a pad.

theteal wrote: »
    but flash video is a huge factor.
    No it's not. The major video hosting sites are all compatible with the iPad. And RTE, TV3, BBC, CH4 and more all have iPad apps so you can watch their TV shows any time.
    jor el wrote: »
    Your statutory rights and entitlements never transfer, no matter what Apple or O2 (or any retailer) put in a contract. They may want you to deal with Apple, but you are under no obligation to do so in the event of a faulty product.
    It's in your O2 contract when you purchase the hardware.
    jor el wrote: »
    It's not as if they came away believing that they had bought a laptop, they knew it was a pad.
    This is what it boils down to.

I really think they just need to use it and they'll be ok. It's so simplistic by 6yr old uses one and has done for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Oh really? I just assumed there was as I heard before Harvey Norman workers get commission on everything! My mother worked in Carphone and she got good commission on Iphones.
    they make money not on the iphone itself but the contract they set up.thats were most of the money is made...very very unlikly he recommended it for his own benefit,perhaps look in to a keyboard dock to make the typing alot easier if hn dnt take it back,as mentioned above there are apps out there available,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's in your O2 contract when you purchase the hardware.

Doesn't matter what's in the contract. Statutory rights and entitlements are law, and no contract can revoke them. If there is a defect with a product, your first point of call is the retailer, and they remain legally obliged to deal with it. Consumer law outweighs and overrides everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paula_drohan

thats so sad..i hope ur grandparents and yourself sort it out... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Reading it I think its a difficult case to call. The salesperson asked good questions and recommended what I think and many think is the ideal product for what your grandparents were looking for. So I can't see any blame lying there.

It may be a little too advanced for them, but then again, its quite easy to use and after a little initial difficulty, they'll probably find its perfect for their needs. - Possibly the OP can change a few setting and also show them how it works.

Then on the plus side - they can boast to the other golden oldies that they are "up to date" with the latest gadgets and then spend a day at toys for big boys too!

Seriously, you could turn this into a positive rather than dissing a salesperson who looks like he had their best interests at heart.

as for commission - yes, they get a commission on all sales, (0.5% - 1%) but it would have been a lot higher on another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

in fairness you said your gran wanted it for email and browsing. Ipad is ideal for that, a 500gb hard drive with i7 cpu and 8gb ram would have been misselling. the guy didnt hold a gun to their heads and say you must buy this product.

Apple dont carry any profit to stores so in turn dont carry commission to the sales guy. I guarentee he took an interest and recommended ipad based on the info he was given.

Word of advice, inroduce them to the app store. They will love it :)

Oh and as for flash Windows 8, the next os from windows doesnt support flash, so all new websites wont be using it. He prob saved em a few bob because if the flash sites wont work on windows theyll be needing to buy a new pc anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hi, just have a question regarding this issue!
    My grandparents went into Harvey Norman looking for a replacement computer as the laptop they had was broken. The sales person asked what they used their computer for and they explained not for very much, just a bit of internet browsing and email etc. My gran mainly uses it to watch videos online. The sales assistant told them that an ipad would best suit their needs and made it out to be the most amazing thing in the world. They ended up buying one, when they told us we said that they probably shouldn't have and the guy was just trying to earn commission. They really don't know any better as the two of the are technophobes :o

based on this i am confused, every over 60 i know in the local over 60's group have been replacing laptops with ipads because they are so easy to use, if they could work a laptop a jump to a tablet should be basic enough.

also if someone said to me ( i am a tech nerd) that they wanted something for a bit of internet browsing and email i would recommend an ipad over those netbooks, so i really dont think the sales assistant was at fault for this...

They want to return it and get a different kind of tablet as they like the idea of them but they want one that's not apple.

so is the real problem that its an apple product? because imo the other tablets can be harder to use because you can do so much more with them.

There was several other things the assistant didn't tell them too. He also tried to convince them they needed the one with the biggest memory but my grandad insisted they wouldn't need it! So (sorry about the rambling post) Harvey Norman has no change of mind policy. They won't return items. Is there anyway to bring it back even for a credit note for the store since it was all down to the sales assistant or are they well within their rights? I know they probably are, just feel sorry for my grandparents who spent so much money on it and are now not happy with it at all! Thanks in advance :)

im not surprised HN tried to sell the more expensive one, but the fact your grandad didnt buy it means imo you have no comeback, at the end of the day they chose to buy it there and then without consulting you, and obviously they were only mildly influenced by the sales assistant as if it was all down to the sales assistant they would have bought the bigger memory one!

its just my opinion though sorry op i'd say sell it or learn how to use it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ssmith6287 wrote: »

Oh and as for flash Windows 8, the next os from windows doesnt support flash, so all new websites wont be using it. He prob saved em a few bob because if the flash sites wont work on windows theyll be needing to buy a new pc anyway

Nonsense. 10 seconds Googling tells me the Metro browser in Windows 8 won't support any plugins. Every other browser will, as always.

Advertisement