Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless card in pc not working properly

• 25-10-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hello i have a wireless card in my pc running win xp sp3.
    i have my own setup then a guest profile? called guest for the kids to go online. it was all working fine but now the kids say they cant go online on guest but on my profile it works ok not very fast though. all the settings seem to be the same cant seem to find the problem. the card is sumvision model svw322p.also it says it can run at 300mbps but only seems to run at 24mbps or less any way to speed it up. i have average knowledge of computers. any help appreciated thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭PapaSierra

Can you give us some more details?
    1. What's the Access Point/Router make and model?
    2. What happens when you try to connect to Guest network? Any error message?

If it connects to the Guest network but there is no Internet access try the following:
    Start->Run...
    type "cmd" and press enter
    type "ping google.ie" and press enter
    post results

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bullet64

thanks for reply the router is called cisco epc2425. tried to ping google.ie ping request could not find host googl.ie. i then pinged my number 192.16 etc i think this is the modem address ? a reply came back btyes=32 time=2ms ttl=64 packets sent 4 recieved 4. ie error comes up internet explorer cannot display the web page....... firefox which the kids use to go online problem finding page server not found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Could be a DNS issue, check the settings for the wifi card. Here's the UPC ones,
    You could also try the OpenDNS ones or Google's

WirelessNIC->Propetrties->InternetProtocol(in list,highlight)->Properties
    You might need to restart or disable/enable adapter to make it work

Or you could try the 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' option, this should work.

how do i check these settings and where do i go to see them what is dns i'm a little bit lost here thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭PapaSierra

bullet64 wrote: »
    how do i check these settings and where do i go to see them what is dns i'm a little bit lost here thanks

DNS - Domain Name Server - simply translates web address to ip address. Without this configured you would have to type in all web adresses as ip addresses. Try typing in 89.234.66.107 into your web browser, thats boards.ie ip address. If it will bring up boards.ie website it means that the problem is only related to dns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Windows Explorer -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> right-click your wifi adapter ->choose Properties from menu -> Scroll down list box to InternetProtocol (TCP/IP) ->Click Properties button. Choose get automatically or enter manually, auto usually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

if you can connect fine(even a if it is a bit slow,that could be network issues and nothing to do on your end) just delete the guest account and set it up again??

no point changing the dns settings on the modem because if they were wrong you wouldnt be able to view webpages on your own account.Just check to make sure the guest account is obtaining dsn info automatically in the properties of the network card as some one said below.

also disable firewall/antivirus and see then if you can view webpages and try a differnt browser to make sure that isnt acting up

went into ie and tried to put in these dns nothing worked. on guest there are no network settings in control panel. went to ie internet options connections lan settings and un checked all boxes auto config proxy (same as on my main account) server and now it goes online with ie no joy with firefox but online now thanks to all for help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

went into ie and tried to put in these dns nothing worked. on guest there are no network settings in control panel. went to ie internet options connections lan settings and un checked all boxes auto config proxy (same as on my main account) server and now it goes online with ie no joy with firefox but online now thanks to all for help:)

well make sure you have the same settings enabaled/disabled in fire fox.

or delete and re-install firefox.

really you should only use IE to download other browsers:pac:

Advertisement