Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy new or 2nd hand?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Right so I'm ready to buy my first rifle. Have been out in Courtlough and used their CZ bruno .22 lr which seemed great ( i have nothing to compare it to but I hit pretty tight groups with it). I also have done some massive amount of research on the gun and they were very positive too. I asked if they had any 2nd hand ones for sale and was told no but they do have new ones for sale. The price inc scope and mod was €700.The advantage of buying the rifle with them is that I can shoot while I wait for my cert.

On the other hand I have seen advertised the similar set for 600 new or a lot less second hand. I will of course have to wait for my cert before I can pick up the gun though.

With firearms are you better spending money at the start or can a good quality 2nd hand firearm be just as adequate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

You can have a CZ452 with scope and mod for under €500 if you shop around. Start visiting RFD's and start making a few calls. Also, talk to a few local shooters. .22 lr's are common as muck,so you won't have any bother getting a cracker for that money, or even less if you persist. Good luck and happy hunting. LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you come across what you want second hand I would go that route. If you don't, I wouldn't feel bad about buying a new 22lr. It's a gun you are not likely to get rid of as you grow into the sport and expand your experience.

Most lads will have started with a 22lr and most still have one.

CZs are pretty much bullet proof so you will be making a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Right so I'm ready to buy my first rifle. Have been out in Courtlough and used their CZ bruno .22 lr which seemed great ( i have nothing to compare it to but I hit pretty tight groups with it). I also have done some massive amount of research on the gun and they were very positive too. I asked if they had any 2nd hand ones for sale and was told no but they do have new ones for sale. The price inc scope and mod was €700.The advantage of buying the rifle with them is that I can shoot while I wait for my cert.

On the other hand I have seen advertised the similar set for 600 new or a lot less second hand. I will of course have to wait for my cert before I can pick up the gun though.

With firearms are you better spending money at the start or can a good quality 2nd hand firearm be just as adequate?

There a some great deals to be got on second hand .22s. I bought my .17hmr and pistol secondhand and they were spotless and greatly priced. With a .22lr the barrell will last a life time so once the rest of the rifle is in good condition you will get years of shooting from it. The cz bruno is a great first rifle i had one as my first rifle. Very accurate and cheap to feed with ammo so you wont go wrong there. Whatever you decide to do happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chesapeake

700 seems a little on the expensive side for cz452, scope and mod.

How important is shooting while waiting for you licence to come through?
    or is it worth the extra 100 to you?

Regarding second hand, depends if the previous owner was a gorilla or not, if it was looked after should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Chesapeake wrote: »
    700 seems a little on the expensive side for cz452, scope and mod.

How important is shooting while waiting for you licence to come through?
    or is it worth the extra 100 to you?

Regarding second hand, depends if the previous owner was a gorilla or not, if it was looked after should be fine.

Cant say that when you dont know what kinda scope it is.

But second hand .22s can be got for cheap with scopes, mod, bipod and sling.

You could get your licence in a week or 3 months. it depends on the local super. I wouldn't get a gun just because i can shoot it straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I have a mate selling a cz .22 with a scope and a mod. I think he's looking around €300. for the lot. But i haven't been talking to him for a few weeks so i don't know if it's still up for grabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

peteshamrock,
    Glad to hear you're going to pull the proverbial trigger. Good luck and ask plenty of questions as the lads here tend to be a great source of info.

I have had the good fortune to own many firearms, both new and used.

In general, if I am going to buy a used firearm, I need to get it for, at most, 50% the new cost. Otherwise, for me, it just does not pay. If I am going to: (a) take a chance on used and (b) not get the original warranty or guarantee, that's going to come at a discounted price.

Trust your instincts.

Even if you think you know nothing about guns, walk away if you're spidey senses start tingling. Don't overthink things. When you get that gut feeling to walk away, do so. It is one thing to lose money, but in this game, you could lose far more.

I don't mind buying from reputable dealers or people I know. In fact, used guns are tried and tested and one could argue they're safer than a new firearm that has shot 1 or 2 rounds at the factory.

The 22LR is a fundamental gun, you should always have one so don't worry too much about spending a bit now. Spend now and get what you want. The more you buy later, the more you'll spend.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

The CZ is good choice for a first (and maybe only) .22 rifle, I have one and it serves me very well. I think what you really need to look at is the scope, there are a bewildering variety of scopes on the market as a glance at the websites of suppliers (Opticsplanet for instance) will show. Buy the best you can afford is obvious advice but a €300 euro scope with all the bells and whistles will (usually) be of lesser quality then a similar price scope without the bells and whistles. You need to ask yourself what you want to do with the rifle, is it target shooting or hunting or both. This will determine what magnification you need, what reticle would be best, do you really need side focus, do you need target turrets etc. Look at what other people at the club are using and ask them why, ask if you can look through their scopes and remember putting a poor quality or inappropriate scope on a decent rifle is not doing you any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭peteshamrock

Thanks for all the help as ever. I'm still in two minds but at least now it will be a far more informed decision. ;)

Advertisement