Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs Socs on Mondays/Tuesdays

Options
  • 25-10-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a society to join that does their thing on Mondays/Tuesday evenings because they are the evenings I have time on my hands.

Which Socs, 'do stuff' on Mondays Tuesdays? And I'm not talking about going out getting locked. I'm looking for a genuine activity to take part in/to train or whatever.

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hey man DIT Shotokan Karate trains Monday and Thursday and you are welcome to train once a week if you want. Training is on at 6:30 on Monday and goes on for an hour and a half. It costs €1 a class to train for beginners (till you grade) and we go for a drink after training. Training is in DIT Kevin's street sports hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

Hey man DIT Shotokan Karate trains Monday and Thursday and you are welcome to train once a week if you want. Training is on at 6:30 on Monday and goes on for an hour and a half. It costs €1 a class to train for beginners (till you grade) and we go for a drink after training. Training is in DIT Kevin's street sports hall.

Sounds good, thanks! Would I be on my own as a beginner next Monday?
    Is it like Jackie Chan Karate? Is it good for self-defence because I don't see any self-defence socs in DIT and would be interested in that type of thing.

Is there physical contact or is it punching the air type of karate(like the you tube videos are showing)?

;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

i124Q wrote: »
    Sounds good, thanks! Would I be on my own as a beginner next Monday?
    Is it like Jackie Chan Karate? Is it good for self-defence because I don't see any self-defence socs in DIT and would be interested in that type of thing.

Is there physical contact or is it punching the air type of karate(like the you tube videos are showing)?

;)
    You would probably be the only person coming for the first time next Monday but at least a third of the class will have started within the last four weeks. That means they would be around the same level of skill.

There is a lot you can use for Self Defence and if have an interest in self defence it will be filled.

There is a lot of puching the air for one main reason. Is the easiest way to do reps of punching. The instructor likes to say that you need to practice doing something 25,000 times properly before you can really do it in a real situation.

There is also chunks of physical contact with an emphasis on it being always controlled. That is to say we make an effort not to kill each other in training. Sometimes we do open handed sparring (where the focus is hand speed rather than anything else). We mix in joint manipulation and movement in training as well. A lot of the time we do drills where we are working with a partner and one person throws a punch and the other gets off line and does a technique of some sort.

There is a variety in training.

EDIT BTW next Monday is a bank holiday so DIT will be locked down so we can't have training.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Netsoc does workshops on Tuesdays, sometimes Monday which are a lot of fun. Mountaineering soc meet on Mondays and Tuesdays every week also.

Advertisement