Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money worries ...

Options
  • 25-10-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Myself and my girlfriend are heading over to Perth early next year. Between the both of us we will have 6k euro which works out about 8k Australian dollars. Does anyone think is would leave us a bit short after paying for accommodation, etc. Hoping to be working as soon as we can. One of the reasons I am asking is because we recently went to Vancouver for a 'year out', and after the initial 6 weeks our bank account was in serious need of funds. We had about the same amount of money going to Canada as we will have going to Australia. A big factor with Vancouver though was that we didn't start working until 2 months into our trip. So basically just wondering if 6k euro will see us through until we find work?

Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This depends do you and your girlfriend do crack or gamble? If not you should be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Agree with Zambia
    seems like a decent amount of money, once you don't go on a spree in the first few weeks!

Also if you are renting somewhere usually 6-8weeks rent is required (4 weeks bond, + advance rent)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

Thanks, good to know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

€6000 should be plenty if you are carefull

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

if you spend the six thousand euro what will you do then? i don't think you will spend it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Christy_C

tunedout wrote: »
    if you spend the six thousand euro what will you do then? i don't think you will spend it

Im hoping to have a job pretty soon after arriving so hopefully I won't have to face that problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Christy_C wrote: »
    Im hoping to have a job pretty soon after arriving so hopefully I won't have to face that problem.

it's a lot of money if you get a job it is even more money for you then so don't worry about 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

You should be ok. But it is very expensive to get set up here. We are a family of four so greater costs for us. We paid $5000 between bond and first months rent. Bear in mind most places are unfurnished so that would add considerably to your initial costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Christy_C wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend are heading over to Perth early next year. Between the both of us we will have 6k euro which works out about 8k Australian dollars. Does anyone think is would leave us a bit short after paying for accommodation, etc. Hoping to be working as soon as we can. One of the reasons I am asking is because we recently went to Vancouver for a 'year out', and after the initial 6 weeks our bank account was in serious need of funds. We had about the same amount of money going to Canada as we will have going to Australia. A big factor with Vancouver though was that we didn't start working until 2 months into our trip. So basically just wondering if 6k euro will see us through until we find work?

Thanks ! :)

You should look for a place on Gumtree alot of people seem to offer rooms without the requirement to pay a bond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I'd advise to budget for 6-8 weeks without work as a worst case scenario, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not getting carried away....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I'd advise to budget for 6-8 weeks without work as a worst case scenario, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not getting carried away....

Although you should be fine with it, it will go pretty fast if you have to sign a lease paying deposit and rent up front as well. Also as mentioned most places come unfurnished etc so that could add a lot of cost. Even staying in a hostel for 6 weeks in a city will cost a bit. You mention you are hoping to get work soon after you arrive, most people do but depening it can take a lot longer (if at all) get in touch with recruiters and have a look at job sites before you get here. Throw in the cost of getting a couple of suits if you work in an office and you could find yourself in trouble if you don't get a pay cheque for 10/12 weeks. For me the worst part was sitting round for a month not being able to afford to go anywhere while not getting interviews. Pretty boring after the first two weeks. If people where to ask me now I would say $5k per person and $8k for a couple. That should see you right for a good while, and give you room to breath if you have to pay for apartment etc.

Advertisement