Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa for Construction worker?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My uncle (My aunts husband technically) who is in his mid forties (45) asked me to research Australia for him as I travelled there last year myself on a Round the World trip, I did not need a visa as I was a tourist in the country.

I really am not that familiar with the whole situation regards Australian Visa's etc. My uncle does welding and concrete shuttering and has been unemployed now for the last two years, he is married and their little girl is 9, both my Aunt and him returned to Ireland in 2001 from New York where they have lived for the previous 15 years both having emigrated from Ireland at 18 to NY.

He is an Irish citizen and relinquished his Green Card to the United States when he left, his wife did become a US citizen and his daughter also holds dual citizenship.

He doesn't want to return to the US as he would need to move his family back there to get the spouse visa and both of them seem to never want to return to america.

He has a brother in Sydney and was wondering about going over to Australia to get work in Construction like alot of the other Irish jobless are doing at the moment. He would go for 6 months (possibly in the spring time) and work before returning back to Ireland again and both wife and child will remain in Ireland.

What sort of visas I wonder would he need or would come down to a employer sponsoring him over for work? He is 45 and construction is his industry. .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

He would need some qualifications to get General Skills migration but at 45 he gets Zero points for age, he would need a combination of Superior IELTS and a PhD and maybe State Sponsorship for good measure.

If his brother works in construction then he would safer sponsoring him for 457, that is if the brother meets the criteria to sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when you say 6 months, do you mean 6 months, then back to ireland on holiday and return with family to Aus or do you mean 6 months in total?

If you mean 6 months in total it would be pretty painful for such a short time.

But Perth and New Zealand (Christchurch) would be the obvious areas to start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think he means work for 6 in oz then return for 6 then work for 6 in oz etc. OP your uncle is dreaming his family wants to stay in Ireland. The best course of action is to try the UK. The money here would just not make the time and effort worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hydro 69.

Im looking for advice myself as to what to do. Ive a simmilar situtation. Im a 42yr old cabinet maker joiner with no propper qualification papers. I have 25 years experience with 10 year running my own buisness. Ive contacted a couple of agents. They are looking for between 7 and ten thousand euro to process my application for a state sponsored visa and help me get australian qualification to be eligable for visa. there are no gurantees and by the time you are told yes or no its too late your money is gone. I travelled to perth and Melbourne in April and looked about for work in the hope of getting an employer to sponsor. I drew a blank in WA but was offered a job in a workshop south of melbourne. The money was poor, 600 dollars a week starting off and would have to pay 270 dollars a week for a two bed apartment. Yes you are reading correctly that is 270 per week.
    I dont want to be in Victoria because the weather is like hear, 4 seasons in one day and a lot of rain. The state sponsored visa is the way to go as its similar to Resedency and gives you the visa for 5 years. So you wouldnt be tied to one employer.
    I honestly dont know what to do myself and am thinking about going back over to perth and searching for an employer again. I wonder have people had bad experiences with agents or gone down a simmilar path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

$270 a week for a 2BR apartment? That's good. Don't know about the $600 pw wages, that sounds a bit of a joke.

To be honest it sounded like going over looking for a sponsor was a waste of time as expected, you are lucky not to get caught and deported. Sure if you are going to spend the money on another trip to Australia you could have put that money towards applying for Permanent residency. At least with the PR application you have a decent chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

$270 a week for a 2 bed is dirt cheap. It must be a dive in a dodgy area.
    I am paying $420 a week for a 1 bed.
    $600 a week is slave wages, you will not be living well on that.

You can submit visa applications yourself, the key to success is research. Research to see if in fact you are eligible for the visa, gather all the necessary documents and forms and submit it.
    All a visa company will do is ask you to submit the same documents to them to submit and lash on a few thousand on top for their fees.
    There is risk either way, it may be turned down or shelved due to the constantly changing immigration rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

jeeeebus $600 a week sounds crap:eek: and between 7 and 10k for a visa sounds like daylight robbery:eek:

you can apply for state sponsored permant residence your self for about half that money i would expect. first off getyour skill assesed with vetassess or TRA, you don't have to have papers if you can prove that you have enough experience in your trade they will assess your relevant experience and put you through a practical exam. once you are successfull in this then go and do your IELTS exam if you do a search on the forum there was a thread recently about it, and if english is your first language and you have a good understanding of it this should not be a problem. then apply for state sponsorship and visa.

edit
    actually the very first thing is check if you have or can get the required points here

Advertisement