Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Yes and we also struggle with the same frustration in norway,where they have billions in a oil fund and dont spend a penny back home,all invested in foreign stocks,but still we have to pay tax to keep the country going.
    I remember when my mother and father was on 17% interst rate on there mortage and still had to pay property tax on top of this.
    So i dont mind paying at all:D

You see here for years we never had a bit of a decent road so when some private company agrees to build a proper motorway for once we don't mind paying a couple of euros to use it on top of our deliciously expensive motor tax. We're definitely getting more value out of the tolls than the ould dirt tracks the govt calls a National Route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

eth0 wrote: »
    Toll increases do have to be approved I think. The govt can do lots of things, like not bail out private companies, spend money efficiently, tell merkozy to feck off when they get too demanding. but they choose not to for various reasons we'll never understand

Property tax is a popular cash cow for governments alright and has been around in various forms for thousands of years because it's easy to collect and hard to avoid.

FF had the good sense (back when they still had a bit of sense) to get rid of it but now the EU insist on having us bring it back because it makes Ireland a less apealing country to live in. It's like the low corporate tax rate, mainland Europe high-tax countries can't stand this and they intend to drain us out financially.

Yes its a cash cow for sure,but like grizzly mentioned,its also how its spent:(
    Its always nice to see alot of money on your account,but where is the money going to after???
    And yes its the EU question again.
    I have to say i liked Ireland better when the old Punts was here,but thats just my opinion,and would Ireland be ok to stay outside the EU like Iceland,Norway,Switzerland???

You see here for years we never had a bit of a decent road so when some private company agrees to build a proper motorway for once we don't mind paying a couple of euros to use it on top of our deliciously expensive motor tax. We're definitely getting more value out of the tolls than the ould dirt tracks the govt calls a National Route

i understand Eth.
    But i have to say that motorway did wonders though.;)
    I remember it took me atleast 2 hours before to get from the airport dublin to the midlands where i live,and you can do it under less than 1 hour now,not bad at all:D:D
    And i dont mind paying that either,in norway we pay 15 euros each time we go trough the toll on the motorway,and this is going straight to the goverment:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yes its a cash cow for sure,but like grizzly mentioned,its also how its spent:(
    Its always nice to see alot of money on your account,but where is the money going to after???
    And yes its the EU question again.
    I have to say i liked Ireland better when the old Punts was here,but thats just my opinion,and would Ireland be ok to stay outside the EU like Iceland,Norway,Switzerland???

If we wernt being shafted out of our fishing rights,our oil[if there is any off mayo,and our energy policy isnt being decided by a bunch of scruffy eco loons holding things up],and we had competant honest banks,not to mind some sort of heavy industry and the odd bit of iron or coal.:rolleyes:
    Plus more importantly politicans who actually had a pair between the lot of them.Who put their country first and not their bank accounts and pensions,and knew one foreign langauge.Its a criminal endightment on our education that ASFIK not ONE politican from Ireland can actually speak a European langauge fluently..99% of European politicans are able to speak at least three passably!!!:mad:No wonder they get fed so much BS.Everyone knows poor aul Paddy hasnt a clue what they are saying about him in Spanish,French or German.

Then Yes we might be able to make a go of getting out of this crazy mess and start charting a countries destiny.But not to worry,by this time next year [Dec21st 2012].The EU or us or humanity all mightnt be here at all..Or we are having this chat around a campfire,after a hard days surviving..:D:D Proably by this time next yearr the EU will be changed as will the World be changed by the demise of the euro.

Happy Winter Solstice everyone.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The EU or us or humanity all mightnt be here at all..Or we are having this chat around a campfire,after a hard days surviving..:D:D
    I'll have the brew on Grizz... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

we are having this chat around a campfire,after a hard days surviving..:D:D Proably by this time next yearr the EU will be changed as will the World be changed by the demise of the euro.

Using euro notes as tinder:rolleyes:

If we wernt being shafted out of our fishing rights,our oil[if there is any off mayo,and our energy policy isnt being decided by a bunch of scruffy eco loons holding things up],and we had competant honest banks,not to mind some sort of heavy industry and the odd bit of iron or coal.:rolleyes:
    Plus more importantly politicans who actually had a pair between the lot of them.Who put their country first and not their bank accounts and pensions,and knew one foreign langauge.Its a criminal endightment on our education that ASFIK not ONE politican from Ireland can actually speak a European langauge fluently..99% of European politicans are able to speak at least three passably!!!:mad:No wonder they get fed so much BS.Everyone knows poor aul Paddy hasnt a clue what they are saying about him in Spanish,French or German.

Then Yes we might be able to make a go of getting out of this crazy mess and start charting a countries destiny.But not to worry,by this time next year [Dec21st 2012].The EU or us or humanity all mightnt be here at all..Or we are having this chat around a campfire,after a hard days surviving..:D:D Proably by this time next yearr the EU will be changed as will the World be changed by the demise of the euro.

Happy Winter Solstice everyone.:D

See your point Grizz,totally agree;):D:D:D
    I have some good brew here too,from Norway:D:D:D
    That thing around the campfire seems like a good idea:)
    Never mind the EU,i think that will resolve itself;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Miss Sugarbabe

I won't be paying the property tax. I bought in 2006 and paid 26K stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

NV - I was in Oslo last year for a weekend with my wife - absolutely loved it - it may be hard to tell from just a weekend but there seemed to be a sense of fairness in the air - yes it was incredibly expensive but there seemed to be lots to show for where your money is going. Sure there were problems - drug addicts hanging around the bus station etc., but maybe the rose tinted spectacles made me feel like there's resources there to deal with them.
    I think our problem with this property tax is and all other money we pay to government, there is no accountability as to how its spent, the government think nothing of paying 35 million for a site then scrapping whateve plans they had for it. I think this is actually what people are asking for accountability and a government who put the needs of its society first.
    I don't doubt the integrity of our current government but I think they have just dived head first into sorting out or financial mess at the expensive of absolutely everything else.
    I am happy to pay a property tax if I know its being put to good use - I lived in England and every year we would get information from the council stating what was spent on local services using the council charge - that's fine by me.
    Why can't our government stop and think what they're trying to achieve - look to countries like Norway (correct me if I'm wrong NV) and follow their lead. It's surely not rocket science.

NV - I was in Oslo last year for a weekend with my wife - absolutely loved it - it may be hard to tell from just a weekend but there seemed to be a sense of fairness in the air - yes it was incredibly expensive but there seemed to be lots to show for where your money is going. Sure there were problems - drug addicts hanging around the bus station etc., but maybe the rose tinted spectacles made me feel like there's resources there to deal with them.
    I think our problem with this property tax is and all other money we pay to government, there is no accountability as to how its spent, the government think nothing of paying 35 million for a site then scrapping whateve plans they had for it. I think this is actually what people are asking for accountability and a government who put the needs of its society first.
    I don't doubt the integrity of our current government but I think they have just dived head first into sorting out or financial mess at the expensive of absolutely everything else.
    I am happy to pay a property tax if I know its being put to good use - I lived in England and every year we would get information from the council stating what was spent on local services using the council charge - that's fine by me.
    Why can't our government stop and think what they're trying to achieve - look to countries like Norway (correct me if I'm wrong NV) and follow their lead. It's surely not rocket science.

I agree to a certain point,but you will never find a perfect system no matter where you look,And i dont think the Norwegian model is unique in any way.
    But i think it is important to pay the extra tax when a country is struggling,cause it always gets worse before it gets better;):D:D

• Advertisement

I agree to a certain point,but you will never find a perfect system no matter where you look,And i dont think the Norwegian model is unique in any way.
    But i think it is important to pay the extra tax when a country is struggling,cause it always gets worse before it gets better;):D:D

Trouble is NV .We dont have a standard European outlook on life.:(
    When the Celtic Tiger was alive and well and there was money about all those taxes could have and should have been brought in.It would proably have stopped ridicilously large mansions being built all over the place,and given some cop on to some.However the incompetant shower that ruled us knew exactly how to rule us by Bread and Circuses.Sure Bertie Aherne even said would the doomsayers goaway and kill themselves as this would last forever.Of course nothing would happen with a little crook like that in power,put there by his banking and building buddies from the Galway tent .:mad::mad:
    As Winston Churchill said "A country taxing itself out of a recession is like a man standing with both feet in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle".
    Sorry,I am not paying anymore taxes until I see where in my no doubt in 2013 over 2grand bill will be going in the local council.
    [The joy of owning a large Irish heritage listed building that I am obliged to keep up to spec out of my own pocket and get NO tax relif or acknowledgement from the Irish Govt !!]
    As for the septic tank charge.All this baloney about water pollution..The biggest water pollutors are the councils themselves!!!The majority of our council sewage plants have their overflows going into rivers in Ireland!:mad::mad:
    Can name THREE in my locality that are polluting the lower Shannon above Limerick.
    Its another excuse to cash in on us.Before we know it the chminey and window tax of penal times will be back in as well!
    Cant pay! Wont pay!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Trouble is NV .We dont have a standard European outlook on life.:(
    When the Celtic Tiger was alive and well and there was money about all those taxes could have and should have been brought in.It would proably have stopped ridicilously large mansions being built all over the place,and given some cop on to some.However the incompetant shower that ruled us knew exactly how to rule us by Bread and Circuses.Sure Bertie Aherne even said would the doomsayers goaway and kill themselves as this would last forever.Of course nothing would happen with a little crook like that in power,put there by his banking and building buddies from the Galway tent .:mad::mad:
    As Winston Churchill said "A country taxing itself out of a recession is like a man standing with both feet in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle".
    Sorry,I am not paying anymore taxes until I see where in my no doubt in 2013 over 2grand bill will be going in the local council.
    [The joy of owning a large Irish heritage listed building that I am obliged to keep up to spec out of my own pocket and get NO tax relif or acknowledgement from the Irish Govt !!]
    As for the septic tank charge.All this baloney about water pollution..The biggest water pollutors are the councils themselves!!!The majority of our council sewage plants have their overflows going into rivers in Ireland!:mad::mad:
    Can name THREE in my locality that are polluting the lower Shannon above Limerick.
    Its another excuse to cash in on us.Before we know it the chminey and window tax of penal times will be back in as well!
    Cant pay! Wont pay!!

I understand Grizzly,i see things from a Norwegian perspective maybe,i am not sure i am quite Irish yet if you know what i mean;):D:D:D
    But i agree with what you say.
    Merry christmas:D:D:D
    And dont forget the good brew beside the campfire next year:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I understand Grizzly,i see thinks from a Norwegian perspective maybe,i am not sure i am quite Irish yet if you know what i mean;):D:D:D
    But i agree with what you say.
    Merry christmas:D:D:D
    And dont forget the good brew beside the campfire next year:D:D:D

Might as well before the campfire tax comes in. Ah wait they'rre already banned by Mr. Gormless

Godt Yule as well NV:D[sorry my Noreweign isnt up to anything].
    As my Gradtfather said when he first came over here in the 1960s in Irelands first Celtic Tiger to set up a factory in Limerick. "In Irland ist alles anders!"
    [Everything is different in Ireland!].Its pointless trying to look and understand anything here with mainland European thinking or logic.
    This can either drive you mental as a mainlander here or you just accept it and go with it.:pac:

Might as well before the campfire tax comes in. Ah wait they'rre already banned by Mr. Gormless

I reckon Mr Gormless on a spit over the campfire on Dec 21st/22nd 2012,should see us through for the week??How do you like your steaks done folks??:D If we can get Cowen,and its very cold,I think his blubber will keep us in rush lights for the year!! We are going to be hungry.So lets eat the Rich!!

Godt Yule as well NV:D[sorry my Noreweign isnt up to anything].
    As my Gradtfather said when he first came over here in the 1960s in Irelands first Celtic Tiger to set up a factory in Limerick. "In Irland ist alles anders!"
    [Everything is different in Ireland!].Its pointless trying to look and understand anything here with mainland European thinking or logic.
    This can either drive you mental as a mainlander here or you just accept it and go with it.:pac:

This can either drive you mental as a mainlander here or you just accept it and go with it

I dont think i have a choice my missus is Irish;):D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gocman

This property tax is for the criminal banks who will turf families out of there homes regardless if they comply while on the other hand your caring T.Ds will be living it up on there pensions and from behind closed doors along with the euro elite they will be saying screw the Irish people and we are going to put up with this fiasco.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement