Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring regs

• 25-10-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

while installing co2 detectors for a friend he asked me to check his lights upstairs while i was in the attic as a few of them no longer worked,he has 27 12v50w halogen downlighters in total upstairs(mad but his wifes decision when building)
    I had a look and found 4" wavins used to keep insulation away from fittings some of which had melted near the bulb and all the traffos buried in the insulation which was pumped in by hose,12" to 18" deep in places,
    but i also seen that the light had been linked out in 1.5sq flex(T+E to first traffo then flex to all the other lights on the circuit.
    As far as i know you should only have flex from a jb to the traffo and T+E linking out the circuit and around 1mt of heat resistant flex max
    would i be correct in that

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

The trafos shouldnt be covered by insulation
    dunno how much of a hazard the wavin is
    not great anyhow
    is there a cap on them

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carrick

theres no caps on the wavins,he said he changed the bulbs and they still didnt work so my best guess is that the insulation has overheated the traffos as the other lights on the same circuit are working.
    I am interested in the wiring method used by the original electrician with so much flex being used,up to 10mts in worst case
    the owner is looking to convert to LED 220v 3-4watt but is the original wiring questionable
    LEDs would also eliminate the need for traffos with 220v ones and sort out a lot of the heat output issues per bulb

thanks

Advertisement