Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way of getting from Portlaoise to Athlone?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any public transport between Portlaoise and Athlone. The train service is not ideal because you have to switch at Portarlington, but would do if I was stuck. Are there any direct buses that go daily? There was mention of a Townlink bus on the Laois Shopping Centre website but I couldn't find any info about it on the Bus Eireann website :rolleyes:. Ideally, the bus would have to run between 9-6 Mon-Fri to be of any use to me.

Thanks so much for your help, guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

Nothing direct.

There is also a town link bus service that operates between Portlaoise, Mountmellick, Tullamore, Athlone and Portarlington. The Service operates every 2 hrs from 8am-6pm daily

http://www.laoisshoppingcentre.com/location-map/how-to-get-here.115.html

The Main buses, (JJs, Dublin Coach and Bus Eireann) operate to Dublin, and so are on different main roads.

The Trains link at Port.

The only bus service is the haphazard but handy when it's there 'Town link'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Ah the mythical Townlink bus! :p Does it really exist or is it just a rumour? I can't find any other info besides that snippet on the shopping centre website. Most bus services have these handy things called timetables printed online- Bus Eireann (or whoever operates this service) should maybe look into them. :pac:Seriously, BE has to be the least helpful/ user-friendly website ever- worse than useless cause it's just plain confusing.

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll have just have to take the train if I can't find anything else about the elusive Townlink. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I think martleys were starting a daily route give them a ring or check them out on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Success! Martley's run a daily route to the IT with very convenient times! Thanks a million,moose, you saved me loads of hassle!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Acacia wrote: »
    Success! Martley's run a daily route to the IT with very convenient times! Thanks a million,moose, you saved me loads of hassle!:)

You're welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Also keep in mind the No 73 from BE...as another option which could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

JackieChan wrote: »
    Also keep in mind the No 73 from BE...as another option which could be useful.

Thats handy!

When I did a route thingy on the Bus eireann site, it told me I had to go to Kildare and change bus and then go backwards

Advertisement