Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! Magazine on "Homosexual Agenda" in Africa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think what people find annoying is that the use of aid to pressurize governments into providing what "the West" would see as basic human rights and freedoms is being denounced as "a bid to force it (Africa) to accept the homosexual agenda".

[ExtremeSarcasm] Human rights, and indeed freedom of the press, is all a conspiracy by them damn devil-worshipping gheys, yanno!! [/ExtremeSarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

OP must be Homosexual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

nuxxx wrote: »
    OP must be Homosexual

There's always one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

nuxxx wrote: »
    OP must be Homosexual

Oh dear, was it the stilettos? Promised myself I wouldn't wear them in public, but this time I couldn't help myself.

Also, you don't have to be a homosexual to send the letter of complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Oh dear, was it the stilettos? Promised myself I wouldn't wear them in public, but this time I couldn't help myself.

Nah bro just your posting style, but it's OK I can dig it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

You're so sweet, if you want to force them out on their record of discrimination contact a real media outlet or the Press Ombudsman.

Nah, don't bother. Hit them were it hurts. This crowd is a registered charity :eek:, as they promote religion. Complain to Revenue and the Dept. of Finance. Not only do they not pay tax, but they receive matching contributions from our taxes to publish their bigotry.

KP, if you re-read patrick's post, I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

Rather he's arguing that what the zealot's over the centuries have promulgated as Christian values, and in the example you've given continue to do so to-day, has strayed miles from what Christ actually preached in some areas.

Ooops!

Apologies to Patrick, I didn't read his post right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It's their country and they can enforce the rules they want. Not saying it's right, nor do I care, but that's the way it is. If you wanted to spend your time wisely then maybe you should be campaigning to legalise homosexuality in those countries rather than pissing about sending letters to an editor who won't give a shít. It won't make any difference and will probably go unread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Shock Horror, Catholic paper prints an article that aligns with official Church doctrine on homosexuality.

Can believe people still watch that guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Also, you don't have to be a homosexual to send the letter of complaint.

I'm straight, and I think it's wrong, and that they're fcuking eejits.

Nah, don't bother. Hit them were it hurts. This crowd is a registered charity :eek:, as they promote religion. Complain to Revenue and the Dept. of Finance. Not only do they not pay tax, but they receive matching contributions from our taxes to publish their bigotry.

Now, this I like. They're registered at The Priory in Tallaght, as far as I know.
    I know they are found in many of the churches. Maybe, if you really wanted, say it to a local priest: anyone with any sense of humanity would probably feel the same, despite being a minister.

I once had a sign on my door asking for no junk mail, or this magazine.
    Complete wackos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

jive wrote: »
    It's their country and they can enforce the rules they want.

People said the same of South Africa in the 1980's
    Or Germany in the 1930's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm not a Christian myself, but I agree that the Christian message has been completely skewed. The main problem with Christianity is that a lot of the people involved in it decide themselves what are 'Christian values', and usually these 'values' are not the values of Christ. In my opinion, Christ is a great historical figure and a true icon. If people behaved more like the man they look up to, Christianity wouldn't have half the problems it has. I think Alive! magazine shows itself time and again to be not exactly a pillar of true Christian values.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

I wouldn't recommend trolling, the whole idea here is to force an apology out of them.

Read that paper before when someone shoved it in my letter box, all their articles are just as bigoted as the one you linked, you wont get an apology out of them.
    I doubt anyone the whole thing that seriously anyway, you can easily tell it's just written by nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Leafed through it once, and the first article I found was a movie review that went on to tell me that Cameron Diaz should try to have as much fun as possible now because she's going to die alone and go to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭LaFlammeRouge

It's their country and they can enforce the rules they want.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Or Germany in the 1930's
    Alive Newspaper

Government treating us like idiots MINISTER of State Jan O’Sullivan recently made a very revealing and disturbing statement on radio, and neither Pat Kenny nor his other guests picked her up on it. The Minister wanted to show how our aid to the third world gives Ireland “influence”. She explained that this country “intervened” in Uganda before “an anti-homosexuality bill” went before the country’s parliament. “The Irish ambassador actually spoke to the government, spoke to the president there,” she said, “as did otherWestern governments, and stopped that bill.” This showed, she asserted, that “we can have a real influence in actually changing the way these governments operate.” Certainly there were extremist elements in the bill, but several points arise here.

1. What business has an Irish government interfering in the democratic processes of another country to impose a particular agenda? And colluding with other countries for that purpose? And what other elements of a Western secular agenda is it quietly imposing in Uganda and elsewhere? This is secularist proselytism, it is imperialism pure and simple.

2. Such an approach to development aid reveals contempt for the human dignity of the poor. Basically it treats the poorest people like pawns in our government’s stupidly self-important power game.

... etc.
    http://www.alive.ie/uploads/6/5/1/1/...ugust_2011.pdf

The Ugandans were pushing for the death penalty for gays and only stopped the bill from proceeding after the International outcry. Any decent person or organisation would not publish the above article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Why do you read the magazine if you hate it so ? Also, why are you using boards for an advocacy/Lobby platform ? . . . 'It'll just take a minute of your time . . . here, email the editor . . . I have filled in the form for you.'

Should the idea not be that people decide to do that themselves, y'know on their own volition ? Otherwise it's just a conciously manipulative effort to tip the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Manach wrote: »
    Shock Horror, Catholic paper prints an article that aligns with official Church doctrine on homosexuality.

Actually wrong on both counts.

Catholic doctrine is broadly summed up by homosexuals are morally intrinsically disordered, but that Catholics should treat persons who are homosexual with compassion and sympathy, to urge them not to act on their impulses, and to condemn any violence towards them. Violence such as 14 years in prison with hard labour, or the death penalty (Uganda).
    It is deplorable that homosexual persons have been and are the object of violent malice in speech or in action. Such treatment deserves condemnation from the church's pastors wherever it occurs. It reveals a kind of disregard for others which endangers the most fundamental principles of a healthy society. The intrinsic dignity of each person must always be respected in word, in action and in law
    link

And its not an Official Catholic Newspaper, much as they might try to look like it. Even the front page has a disclaimer, and in many churchs where it is available for collection its dropped there by persons other than the local priest.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Or Germany in the 1930's

And what's your point?
    Can believe people still watch that guy.

I can believe it too, he's funny.

Serious questions for you though. If you find the magazine offensive then why do you read it? Do you feel the need to be offended? Do you need something to complain about?

I just google'd Alive and I see it is a Catholic newspaper. LOL. You're offended because a Catholic newspaper wrote a somewhat anti-homosexuality article? You realise the whole religion is anti-homosexuality, right? I mean it considers it a sin - do you honestly expect them to write articles which encourage or even accept homosexuality?

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Alive! wouldn't be unhappy if gay folk in poverty stricken African countries were...
    Dead!

I'm not sure I care what they think tbh.

• Advertisement

It's their country and they can enforce the rules they want. Not saying it's right, nor do I care, but that's the way it is. If you wanted to spend your time wisely then maybe you should be campaigning to legalise homosexuality in those countries rather than pissing about sending letters to an editor who won't give a shít. It won't make any difference and will probably go unread.

Perhaps its more appropriate for us to address those on our own doorstep who are attempting to hurt others overseas, than to be trying to change something thousands of miles away? A lot of these "anti-homosexuality bills" are new, and are being "bought" by those with a "Christian" agenda, particularly the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda.

Its also appropriate for us to address inaccuracies in our own country that will create feelings of ill will towards foreign aid.

TylerIE wrote: »
    Perhaps its more appropriate for us to address those on our own doorstep who are attempting to hurt others overseas, than to be trying to change something thousands of miles away? A lot of these "anti-homosexuality bills" are new, and are being "bought" by those with a "Christian" agenda, particularly the "kill the gays" bill in Uganda.

Its also appropriate for us to address inaccuracies in our own country that will create feelings of ill will towards foreign aid.

Never said it wasn't more appropriate. Killer Pigeon made the thread and asked us to send e-mails about anti-homosexuality to a likely Christian editor. A life time worth of beliefs are not going to be shattered by copy pasted emails. May as well be inverted against my wall and pissing into my mouth, a pointless exercises just like what the thread has suggested.

Actually wrong on both counts.

Catholic doctrine is broadly summed up by homosexuals are morally intrinsically disordered, but that Catholics should treat persons who are homosexual with compassion and sympathy, to urge them not to act on their impulses, and to condemn any violence towards them. Violence such as 14 years in prison with hard labour, or the death penalty (Uganda).

Leviticus 18 22
    "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

I just google'd Alive and I see it is a Catholic newspaper. LOL. You're offended because a Catholic newspaper wrote a somewhat anti-homosexuality article? You realise the whole religion is anti-homosexuality, right? I mean it considers it a sin - do you honestly expect them to write articles which encourage or even accept homosexuality?

Jesus Christ.

I dont mean to write for Pigeon but see my earlier post. Catholics are anti equality for LGBT people, but the Official stance is not that Gays or Lesbians should be imprisoned, abused or killed.

Furthermore the paper stated no international treaty covered gays or lesbians - so stuff like the UN charter that covers basic human rights - like right to life liberty and security, freedom, not being subject to arbitrary arrest, freedom of peaceful association, doesnt apply to lesbians or gay men just because they happen to be lesbian or gay?

Leviticus 18 22

Catholics dont exactly use the old Testament - and if you read the Pastoral Care of Homosexual persons document, by the Catholic Church, it calls it disordered to be gay but discourages violence. So you cant call it a Catholic paper teaching Catholic Policy, when clearly they are going against Catholic Policy by supporting imprisonment and death.

Furthermore the paper stated no international treaty covered gays or lesbians - so stuff like the UN charter that covers basic human rights - like right to life liberty and security, freedom, not being subject to arbitrary arrest, freedom of peaceful association, doesnt apply to lesbians or gay men just because they happen to be lesbian or gay?

Then write to the UN, not Alive!

Catholics dont exactly use the old Testament - and if you read the Pastoral Care of Homosexual persons document, by the Catholic Church, it calls it disordered to be gay but discourages violence. So you cant call it a Catholic paper teaching Catholic Policy, when clearly they are going against Catholic Policy by supporting imprisonment and death.

No offence meant but I'm not going to bother reading any religious bullshít. It's well known the church doesn't take kindly to homosexuality but it's also well known that the church is a load of balls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Tricky situation isn't it.

Now, both TylerIE and KillerPidgeon now my thoughts on being gay, I don't give a crap about sexuality.

I'm honestly more in objection to the Ugandan Government (and a few others) that openly murder people based on their sexuality.
    It's just plain wrong and disgusting treatment of mankind.

I do not agree with what Alive! said in the article, I will however go against anyone to support their right to free speech.

Unless they actually publicly say that Homosexual's should be murdered, they are not breaking any laws, eg Incitement of Hatred.

No offence meant but I'm not going to bother reading any religious bullshít. It's well known the church doesn't take kindly to homosexuality but it's also well known that the church is a load of balls

When you could quote Leviticus Chapter and verse I thought you were from the Religious side. And If you wont read it then perhaps dont make assertions with such certainty when I corrected it twice. While I dont like a lot of what the Catholic Church does theres no point in us exaggerating their activities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Leviticus 18 22

The Bible also states you should not defecate within the city limits, shave your beard (it must always been grown and well trimmed), have no marking on your skin, get a blood transfusion (Jehova's) and sleep with a certain kind of goafer.

So yeah....

Advertisement