Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Petrol Rush?

Options
  • 25-10-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Do you think its possible Tesco will buy the old texaco station in Rush and open a Tesco service station. Considering its close proximity to the new store it may be an option for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In my experience Tesco fuel doesn't last as long, has less additives than mainstream fuels and reduces engine performance in the long run. You are better off going to a normal station near a Tesco filling station and getting the proper stuff at a competitive rate.

In saying that, I don't think Rush would have sufficient customers to make it viable for Tesco. I'll continue to give my business to family owned premises such as Hoare's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Rush is in dire need of another filling station and I see Texaco name and logo on the canopy at Derek Weldon Motors on Whitestown Road. I would also like to keep my business local and buy quite a bit of Fuel in Hoares but when out on the road and seeing petrol often 5c a litre cheaper I often fill up there. The petrol retailers dont appear to be giving us a fair crack of the whip.

Do you ever wonder why the price of Fuel ends in .9. Petrol 1.52.9 or Diesel 1.42.9 why not just round the price one way or the the other.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I have found that petrol prices in Rush are always first to go up and last to come down. I never buy petrol here but I do use the other service they offer. Tesco could shake things up a bit.
    Although three service stations at Blakes cross might have a impact on any decision they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I still give most of my business to Hoare's, reason being that they open early and close late.

I feel that if we don't support them and they close down, it would be a huge knock for the residents of Rush.

I have often left it too late to fill up and probably wouldn't make it to Blake's Cross the next morning (never mind the late night dash for bread or milk)

Share it out between them by all means, but avoiding them altogether could be a mistake IMO.

Just my tuppence worth!!

LeoB wrote: »
    buy quite a bit of Fuel in Hoares but when out on the road and seeing petrol often 5c a litre cheaper I often fill up there. The petrol retailers dont appear to be giving us a fair crack of the whip?
    I have found that petrol prices in Rush are always first to go up and last to come down. I never buy petrol here
    It would be unfair to compare the price of fuel in a local family run business with that of the huge multinationals who have greater economies of scale.You wouldn't expect to pay the same price for a sliced pan in your local corner shop and in Tesco. I just find that many people in Rush complain when a business closes but the same people are unwilling to support that business when they are struggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It would be unfair to compare the price of fuel in a local family run business with that of the huge multinationals who have greater economies of scale.You wouldn't expect to pay the same price for a sliced pan in your local corner shop and in Tesco. I just find that many people in Rush complain when a business closes but the same people are unwilling to support that business when they are struggling.

I am talking about Esso and not the family run business. If you read my post again you will see I said I buy a quite a lot of fuel in Hoares but it is an expensive place to buy fuel. I would expect to pay over the odds for a sliced pan or bag of sugar as that is just an extra service they provide for convienence. We do a fair bit of shopping locally and will keep doing so even if we pay slightly over the odds

As has been raised on numerous consumer programmes the price of fuel in Ireland in general has a big gap between most expensive and cheapest and they sell the same brand whether it be esso, Statoil, Texaxo........

On the op I didnt hear Tesco were going to sell fuel but I do hope Derek Weldon opens a Texaco outlet and I would say we would see a decrease of 2 or 3c in days. And they still wont be selling at a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

LeoB wrote: »
    Do you ever wonder why the price of Fuel ends in .9. Petrol 1.52.9 or Diesel 1.42.9 why not just round the price one way or the the other.?

Yeah, I often fill up with about 55 litres & the pump have never said the exact amount - €84.095c for it........strange that, eh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

I have heard from a very good source that a Texaco garage is to open up in Derek Weldon in the very near future more than likely in conjunction with the opening of Tesco. Hopefully it'll bring a bit of competition to the Rush area as Hoares can be quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Texaco is definetly opening, I'd say it will be cheaper and should be, how a place in rush with definite cheaper costs than swords, town etc can be dearer makes no sense

Answer is simple, there is no competition and suckers are will to pay for it, I only do when stuck.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

In my experience Tesco fuel doesn't last as long, has less additives than mainstream fuels and reduces engine performance in the long run. You are better off going to a normal station near a Tesco filling station and getting the proper stuff at a competitive rate.

In saying that, I don't think Rush would have sufficient customers to make it viable for Tesco. I'll continue to give my business to family owned premises such as Hoare's.

How do you work that out now? Like I can work out the "last as long"(mileage) part but how do you test the additives?

• Advertisement

Corsendonk wrote: »
    How do you work that out now? Like I can work out the "last as long"(mileage) part but how do you test the additives?
    Many of the letters to motoring magazines in the UK are about modern engines stalling especially when waiting at traffic lights. Almost without exception the experts answering those queries cite the use of cheap supermarket fuel as the reason. It's cheaper because it doesn't contain the same level of detergents which help clean vital engine parts of carbon deposits. The fuel is the same leaving the refinery but each customer specifies their additives to the suppliers and some use twice as much as others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Many of the letters to motoring magazines in the UK are about modern engines stalling especially when waiting at traffic lights. Almost without exception the experts answering those queries cite the use of cheap supermarket fuel as the reason. It's cheaper because it doesn't contain the same level of detergents which help clean vital engine parts of carbon deposits. The fuel is the same leaving the refinery but each customer specifies their additives to the suppliers and some use twice as much as others.

Does that apply to ROI? I know I use to see the Statoil tanker delivery to Statoil and then on to the Tesco in Finglas. Are those tankers dual chamber? Or should I avoid Statoil too?

Does that apply to ROI? I know I use to see the Statoil tanker delivery to Statoil and then on to the Tesco in Finglas. Are those tankers dual chamber? Or should I avoid Statoil too?

That must have been a long time ago!! Statoil is gone years now if i am not mistaken. i think they are are all Topaz now. Does Topaz deliver to Tesco?

The tankers can have several chambers but as far as I know the tanker operator can add the mix according to the customers specifications.

Here's a couple of quotes from ww.honestjohn.co.uk
    Where I used to work (at a smiliar depot also next to two others)
    Fuel was blended with additive automatically as it was loaded into the 8 compartments on the tanker. Very small storage tanks were on the site for different fuel company's additives. Some fuels just had twice as much of the same additive.

Tankers were compartmented into 8 compartments, these were filled automatically with the correct quantities of products, premium unleaded, superunleaded and diesel and delievred to the filling station. A filling station would take a whole tanker full or part thereof, they don't drop a bit of here and there, that's why small stations with small tanks all use expensive independant middle men nowadays, as the big fuel companies aren't geared for small deliveries.
    This is one of the most talked-about topics on car bulletin boards of all types, but the response shown above is the nearest I have seen anyone explain the situation yet, ie even if you see, for example, a Shell liveried tanker delivering to Tesco's, it doesn't mean that the fuel delivered will have the same additive-pack as that delivered to a Shell garage.

The petrol in Rush is €0.03 a liter more expensive than the ones at Blakes Cross since last Monday. Roll on the competition whoever they may be!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stay on-topic please.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

The petrol in Rush is €0.03 a liter more expensive than the ones at Blakes Cross since last Monday. Roll on the competition whoever they may be!!!!

Is quoting a price comparison on a thread relating to the price of fuel not on topic?

On 'topic' I understand the pricing difference for smaller stations based on the quantities they buy, the additional overheads with a smaller business and the time between refills but I think they can be more competitive and still stay in business.

At the end of the day I will continue to support the local businesses when and where I see comparative value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Discussing local prices is on-topic. Discussing delivery methods & fuel/additive mixes is not.

tHB

Advertisement