Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Prices????

Options
  • 25-10-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,
    I am currently looking at prices for windows for my self build. We met with 2 companies over the weekend and got quotes from them today. If I was confused before this it's worse now. For the same 18 windows and 3 doors one company quoted €14,500 (double glazed with a u value of 1.4) and the other company quoted €8,500 (double glazed with a u value of 1.3). As far as, apart from the difference in the u value, I could see there was one small difference where the more expensive window had one extra security feature. Am I missing something???

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

your self-building so you need to be extra careful of the quality, workmanship, guarantees, certificates and BS talked by salesmen etc ..
    18wins and 3 drs, I take it these are uPVC, do either of them have

http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Agrement-Certification/WEP-%28Wind-Energy-Performance%29-Scheme.aspx

approval? that seems to be the easiest way for a self-builder to compare..

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BryanF wrote: »
    your self-building so you need to be extra careful of the quality, workmanship, guarantees, certificates and BS talked by salesmen etc ..
    18wins and 3 drs, I take it these are uPVC, do either of them have NSAI - Window Energy Performance (WEP) Scheme approval? that seems to be the easiest way for a self-builder to compare..
    Your link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 26 katie11

Thanks BrainF. Have checked out that link and both companies have aproval. They're pvc windows and the front door will be a composite door. Going to try a couple of others to see what they say:confused:

BTW have been told that B rated frames are better than A rated frames because they are stronger and will last longer. Any opinions?

katie11 wrote: »
    Thanks BrainF. Have checked out that link and both companies have aproval. They're pvc windows and the front door will be a composite door. Going to try a couple of others to see what they say:confused:

BTW have been told that B rated frames are better than A rated frames because they are stronger and will last longer. Any opinions?
    that sounds like BS, but then uPVC is at the bottom of my preferred list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 suz3

1st post!
    <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 frauleinash

Hi Suz3,

I have a house in Dublin but I grew up in Mayo and would be very happy to use a Mayo based company to fit and install new windows and doors. Would you mind emailing me their contact details? My email address is <SNIP>

Thank you so much,
    Aisling

Mod edit: Please dont post personal contact details. Use the PM facility instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 emlav

Hi Suz3

Would you PM me the name of the window company in mayo, thanks.

Hi guys,

After doing a good bit of shopping around and research I think we are going with a Mayo based company aswell, possibly the same one. They definately seem to have the best price for the best quality. We did get cheaper quotes from another company, but when we looked into it they had cut a load of corners and I can only assume they hoped we wouldn't notice!!??
    All we have left to decide now is whether to go for double or triple glazing. Originally we were just looking at double but as it turns out it would only cost about 2k more for triple - and we do have some big windows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

katie11 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

After doing a good bit of shopping around and research I think we are going with a Mayo based company aswell, possibly the same one.

All we have left to decide now is whether to go for double or triple glazing. Originally we were just looking at double but as it turns out it would only cost about 2k more for triple - and we do have some big windows!!!

Hi Katie, before deciding on Double/Triple, I suggest you do some more research.
    What U value do they claim for Triple, are the frames reinforced.

uPVC is made for either 24mm or 28mm glazed units typically.
    So a 24mm triple, will have 3X 4mm glass=12mm leaving 6mm space between the glass, i.e 4mm/6mm space/4mm/6mm space/4mm.
    This 6mm space is ineficient, and does not warrant the additional cost
    At 28mm the space is 28mm - 12mm = 16mm so a 8mm space, not much better, in my opinion.
    A D/G unit with a U value of 1.1 has a 20mm space, Low E glass, and is Argon filled.

Weight, naturally the glazed units will be 50% heavier, 3 pieces of glass instead of two, so if you have large openings what is the effect of the weight on hinges, etc.

These are just a couple of questions you should ask, before deciding, others I am sure have opinions on Triple/Double
    Good luck.

kate
    just to add that its the U-value of the total window not the galss you should be interested in. and the installation of the windows especially their air-tightness and the details to avoid thermal bridging that are also important

• Advertisement

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi Katie, before deciding on Double/Triple, I suggest you do some more research.

So a 24mm triple, will have 3X 4mm glass=12mm leaving 6mm space between the glass, i.e 4mm/6mm space/4mm/6mm space/4mm.
    At 28mm the space is 28mm - 12mm = 16mm so a 8mm space, not much better, in my opinion.
    A D/G unit with a U value of 1.1 has a 20mm space, Low E glass, and is Argon filled.

Weight, naturally the glazed units will be 50% heavier, 3 pieces of glass instead of two, so if you have large openings what is the effect of the weight on hinges, etc.

These are just a couple of questions you should ask, before deciding, others I am sure have opinions on Triple/Double
    Good luck.

Hi,

I'm not quite sure of the dimensions but the double glazed have a Uvalue of 1.28 (window & frame) and the triple is 0.8. The effect of the weight on the hinges is a concern that I would have - I will be asking about that. The windows have a top and side opening - there's no really big openings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Corri1

Hi Suz3

Would you also PM me the name of the window company in mayo, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

martinn123 wrote: »

Good luck.

Martin with regards to the 28mm. Which would reckon would have the better U value the 28mm tripple glaze or the 28mm double glaze with larger gap? I am asking this question more so for a sliding door rather than a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Martin with regards to the 28mm. Which would reckon would have the better U value the 28mm tripple glaze or the 28mm double glaze with larger gap? I am asking this question more so for a sliding door rather than a window.

Good question, I think the triple glazed would come out with a slightly better U value, provided it has Low E glass and the cavity is Argon filled.
    Have a look at www.careyglass.com they have a triple glazed filled with Krypton Gas and claim a U value of 0.7 compared to their Elite Low E D/G at 1.1

However the cost in my opinion would not warrant the slight benefit, in U value, at 28mm. Obviously its 50% more glass, there is a weight issue as well, on a sliding door, you will be putting more weight on the runners, and in a 28mm frame, they may be designed to carry weight of D/G.

Personally I would only opt for triple in a frame designed to take at least 38mm+.
    I am sure others, who have installed triple will post an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

On triple glazed PVC I'd agree with Martin123, there's no point in triple glazing if your trying to squeeze it in to a small frame. I know a couple of companies using 44mm triple glazing units in 70mm reinforced frames which is more like what you should be looking for I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 19hunters

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good glazing company also. COuld I be PM with the Mayo company?

I'm getting a few quotes but they all say so much BS it's hard to decipher. I'd like to get a recommended one if possible.

Thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭jamboambo1

Are the upvc or aluclad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 snaheg

Hi could you please pm me the name & of place in Mayo Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Can someone pm me this company in mayo as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

does tripke glazing improve u value and better sound proofing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

jakko86 wrote: »
    does tripke glazing improve u value and better sound proofing?

Generally speaking it should, however it very much depends on the overall window build up

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Can you pm me the company in Mayo too please? Or just name them here, I saw careyglass mentioned earlier without issue. Mods will you allow this, surely it's better than endless requests for pm's?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Can you pm me the company in Mayo too please? Or just name them here, I saw careyglass mentioned earlier without issue. Mods will you allow this, surely it's better than endless requests for pm's?
    There's no problem with posting recommendations here providing the poster has no association.

In the meantime Google is your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

I'm assuming it's Grady Joinery in Charlestown. I have no affiliation with the co. In fact I rang them a total of 12 times to price up my windows schedule... before I gave up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm waiting on a price from that since Wednesday, the rep did not impress me at all, I have a price from Munster Joinery also, I can let you know once I get them how they compared.

JuniorB wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's Grady Joinery in Charlestown. I have no affiliation with the co. In fact I rang them a total of 12 times to price up my windows schedule... before I gave up!

I'm about to give up looking for a price too, Munster Joinery gave me a price within 20 minutes, O'Grady's said 3 days and then when I called looking for it today I was told Monday, I told him if he doesn't want the business forget about it, seriously given the times you would imagaine they could get a quote together within a few days. It's also a bad start to dealing with a company if their sales guys are that bad how good are their installers??? :confused:

Well finally got a price 1000 more expensive than Munster Joiner for a higher U Value

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I got quotes from quite a few suppliers.
    The final two I had it down to are the two coming up here Munster & Grady. I found both very good to deal with, both quotes were competitive. In the end I went with the cheaper quote which had a better U-value. But there was a lot of information and data processed to get to that point - windows are just going in at the moment and they look good (to my uneducated eye)...

Advertisement