Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting Windows 7 Professional from 128GB SD Card Vs 120GB SSD

Options
  • 25-10-2011 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭

SO Hi Iam new hear but not new to tech and was just looking for a bit of advice on whether booting from an SD is better/worse then booting from SSD I have red through numerous articles saying there one in the same or this is better then that and so forth :rolleyes:

I have also read that ssd's tend to get terribly hot with extensive/prolonged use. I will be using this drive/card to store all me software for gaming/media orientated PC if that effects anything

Chears:
    F.U.B.A.R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

F.U.B.A.R wrote: »
    SO Hi Iam new hear but not new to tech and was just looking for a bit of advice on whether booting from an SD is better/worse then booting from SSD I have red through numerous articles saying there one in the same or this is better then that and so forth :rolleyes:

I have also read that ssd's tend to get terribly hot with extensive/prolonged use. I will be using this drive/card to store all me software for gaming/media orientated PC if that effects anything

Chears:
    F.U.B.A.R

I'd say your reading the wrong stuff, ssd all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I have also read that ssd's tend to get terribly hot with extensive/prolonged use.

I would love to see what you are reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

cork45 wrote: »
    I'd say your reading the wrong stuff, ssd all the way.

Okay......... but why? is it faster? I still like the idea of the SD as no one can touche or use my PC without it :) Ultimate security :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

SD cards are damn slow in comparison to SSDs. You'll get fast random access alright but it would be very slow for large files in comparison to SSDs which are optimised with overall high speed in mind.

The heat thing is nonsense unless you're doing some prolonged stress tests. Power consumption is low and there are no moving parts to cause excessive heat. A disc/USB drive/SD card OS is fine when you want something temporary but for a permanent system, don't even consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Okay......... but why? is it faster? I still like the idea of the SD as no one can touche or use my PC without it :) Ultimate security :cool:
    Have you tried booting off SD in the past? It's easy to try with whatever your current setup is if you have a card reader that your bios will boot. If ssd was that slow then I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be recommended on this board. I've never tried it on USB3 but I'm pretty sure SATA3 should be faster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

Rite so ssd it is then I currently have no way of testing nor the funds to get one of these cards as of yet but theres a nice payday so I figured Ide get the parts list sorted as this PC is custom build. I mostly heard of the heat isue from old college freinds doing repairs and such. Must have been stress tesing it as you said cheers for the advice lads much appreciated :D

1 more thing though: Is there any manufacturer that i should avoid in relation to SSD's?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Rite so ssd it is then I currently have no way of testing nor the funds to get one of these cards as of yet but theres a nice payday so I figured Ide get the parts list sorted as this PC is custom build. I mostly heard of the heat isue from old college freinds doing repairs and such. Must have been stress tesing it as you said cheers for the advice lads much appreciated :D

1 more thing though: Is there any manufacturer that i should avoid in relation to SSD's?

Intel SSDs are the most reliable but you pay a premium for them. OCZ are pretty cheap and fast but have a high fail rate. The Crucial M4 is probably the best value for money with a good balance between speed, reliability and cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

avoid OCZ.

crucial m4 is the best at the moment. also, I've never ever heard of an SSD geting warm, let alone overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Toff

I can vouch for the crucial m4. I'm only on SATA II, therefore I can only get about half of the theoretical speed, yet windows boots much quicker. Make sure you upgrade the firmware to 0009 for a really nice speed boost as well!
    Once I've logged into windows, all my startup programs are loaded within 3 seconds, and I can open my web browser and load up 10 tabs from my last session instantly. This process would have taken so much longer on my 7200rpm HDD. I would have heard it straining the whole time as well.

Advertisement