Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap carpet request

Options
  • 25-10-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

I need to carpet a large sitting room and kitchen. I'm looking for the cheapest thing I can get. It will be replaced next summer so doesn't need to be durable or particularly pretty.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Had to recarpet two bedrooms recently....did the legwork and found Des Kelly cheapest......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Go to a local carpet shop, tell them what you want and they'll find something to suit. Someone like Flinter in Athy, or Allied Carpets in Ballymount, or Michael Murphys in Newbridge or des kelly as above.

or you could go to carpetsh1te and get ripped off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Had to recarpet two bedrooms recently....did the legwork and found Des Kelly cheapest......

Des Kelly are not the cheapest,not by a long shot either.

The cheapest I found,after extensive shopping around and searching and person to person quotes was Nigel from Beds Plus and Carpet Cut in Newtown Industrial Estate in Coolock (behind Woodies).

He bet Des Kellys price by over 100 euro on the exact same carpet and also included 10mm underlay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Noticed both Des Kelly and Bargain town do a 3 Bedroom special 399 supplied and fitted. Got a price in carpet right for 4 bed rooms they wanted over 900 Euro S& F. Bit much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MichelleS

Hi new user, hope i'm in the right place! I just got a quote of 240 for a bedroom carpet, basic stuff no underlay for a room 3 X 4? Is this crazy?

• Advertisement

MichelleS wrote: »
    Hi new user, hope i'm in the right place! I just got a quote of 240 for a bedroom carpet, basic stuff no underlay for a room 3 X 4? Is this crazy?

thats nuts sure google Des Kelly

ronan45 wrote: »
    thats nuts sure google Des Kelly

.....and get ripped off there too.:rolleyes:

Read my post above about a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

MichelleS wrote: »

Don't forget that even if its just one room, the fitters have to drive out to you and fit it - possibly 2 hours including travelling time. If it was 2 rooms, the price would possibly be just the extra carpet cost.

Go into a local guy and see what remnants he has. Possibly hint a replacing other carpet next year and you may get a better price. Or maybe see if other rooms need changing as the extra labour cost for an extra room will be neglible if anything at all.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Des Kelly are not the cheapest,not by a long shot either.

The cheapest I found,after extensive shopping around and searching and person to person quotes was Nigel from Beds Plus and Carpet Cut in Newtown Industrial Estate in Coolock (behind Woodies).

He bet Des Kellys price by over 100 euro on the exact same carpet and also included 10mm underlay too.

Paddy, What would be a standard/good underlay Im going to get some quotes. They never mentioned underlay thickness. Im guessing the cheapest price also comes with the thinnest underlay which might be brutal stuff.

ronan45 wrote: »
    Paddy, What would be a standard/good underlay Im going to get some quotes. They never mentioned underlay thickness. Im guessing the cheapest price also comes with the thinnest underlay which might be brutal stuff.

10mm underlay is good for under foot comfort and also thermal/accoustic propperties.

And no,the cheapest price doesnt necessarily come with the thinnest underlay.

All you have to do is show you,re money and open you,re mouth and talk to the carpet person/sales person.

Allways works for me.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭007.57

The carpet mills on Thomas street. My cheap ass landlord got us new carpet from there. I bet it's probably the cheapest one you will find as my landlord watches every penney. The man's even got a stack of chocolate coins and rice paper notes that he doesn't enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Trying to save a few quid on re-furb of an old house.

Want to Carpet three rooms with something cheap and cheerful.

Is it really necessary to get underlay ?

I noticed you can buy hard backed carpet that is used with Underlay or soft back carpet that needs no underlay.

I also seen some cheap underlay stuff in B&Q

Anybody any advice ? .. I live in Galway so Des Kelly, Bargain town etc. are not on my compass .. so if anyone has any advice of places to buy carpets in the Whest ... I'm all ears. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Youlanda Blake

I think you are better off getting underlay. Costs more at the time but the carpet feels very light under the foot without it, did it in my son's room a few years ago and it was like walking on the ply wood only painted navy. Definitely get underlay is my advice

Advertisement