Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Mb download yet broadband still slow

• 25-10-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just tested my (Vodafone) broadband speed (which can be quite varied). It's currently reading a healthy 6Mb download.

But sites don't seem to load all that quickly.

boards.ie - 7 secs
    Irish Times -5 secs.
    Bing maps - 8 secs
    YouTube - 5 secs
    Yahoo - 6 secs
    Done Deal - 6 secs

Sometimes when I've loaded the sites home page, further pages load more quickly - take boards for example: subsequent pages are loading within 2-3 second. Whereas the Irish Times just took 8 seconds to load a story clicked into from its home page.

I remember when I first got broadband, pageloads took 2-3 seconds and this with a 2Mb package. I've got decent equipment with freshly enough loaded OS's for it not to be slowed down computers.

Any idea what's going on?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

6MB won't make pages load faster. It just means you can download larger files faster or multiple large files simultaneously.

Latency will have a large part to play, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Ask to be put on low interleaving [aka fastpath]
    Your 2mb was probably still on this. But they put you on the High interleaving when they give you faster speeds.

This makes your latency higher.

I'm on Vodafone 6144/512. Its the 8mb package.

I'm on fastpath
    Pinging boards.ie
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Received reply
    Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 10/10/10 msec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Ask to be put on low interleaving [aka fastpath]
    Your 2mb was probably still on this. But they put you on the High interleaving when they give you faster speeds.

This makes your latency higher.

I'm on Vodafone 6144/512. Its the 8mb package.

I'm on fastpath

I just ran a few ping tests (which I gather is a measure of latency) which gives a result of 33ms (which I gather is pretty good). Speed is still around the 6Mb mark.

Performance is variable tonight. Some of yesterdays 6-8 secs sites load in a couple of seconds or less. Others still take 6-8 secs. Is there some reason for this variance (the slow sites are 'reputable' ones; Rotten Tomatos or BingMaps or the New York Times (which took 15 secs to load)?

Thanks for any education..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I just ran a few ping tests (which I gather is a measure of latency) which gives a result of 33ms (which I gather is pretty good). Speed is still around the 6Mb mark.

Performance is variable tonight. Some of yesterdays 6-8 secs sites load in a couple of seconds or less. Others still take 6-8 secs. Is there some reason for this variance (the slow sites are 'reputable' ones; Rotten Tomatos or BingMaps or the New York Times (which took 15 secs to load)?

Thanks for any education..

Yes, they're hosted in the USA, your ping times to there will be lots longer than to anywhere here. Try http://www.rte.ie/

You got any toolbars on your browser by any chance? Toolbars are all nasty (even the Google one), they redirect your traffic through their servers so they can spy on you. Uninstall them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I'd check your DNS servers too. There could be an issue with one of them.

You could temporarily change the DNS servers on your PC to the OpenDNS servers to test it:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Wired or Wireless?

Test on wired. Wireless can be unreliable if there are many access points [or other interference] in your immediate area.

Advertisement