Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopter over ranelagh/rathmines

• 26-10-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

There's been a chopper buzzing around over the d6 area for the past hour at least. I presume it's the garda one. Anyone have any idea what it's up to? Do we have a psycho killer on the loose?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Einhard wrote: »
    Do we have a psycho killer on the loose?!
    Psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est

I heard it a lot earlier this evening, out near Terenure, comes and goes, tres annoying. No idea what it's doing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est

fa fa fa fa fa far away ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Shock as Garda chopper overhead on southside.
    Just a normal day on the northside...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

whiskeyman wrote: »

No doubt it was looking for some Northsiders who had escaped across the river!!:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

It's been hovering over Templeogue this past 45 minutes. Just sitting there. Being noisy. Wrecking my buzz. I think it was over the Spawell roundabout. Anyone any idea why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

This is a weekly occurrence around Ranelagh, nothing to bother about too much I think

Nah this was bang over Templeogue, and it's easy to say not to worry about it til it's outside your fockin house, keeping you wide awake :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's a pity about you all, jaysis, try living in Finglas. Every. Fooking. Night.

Been a while since we had a Garda Helicopter thread though, there was a stage I was going to ask the Admins to make a Garda Helicopter sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Try living in Ballyfermot and you regularly have one hovering at 4am for an hour or more. The worst is when it wakes our baby. In other European cities it's illegal to use them during certain hours without very good cause. Trying to intimidate some skanger dealer is not a good cause especially when it causes stress for the rest of the community. It certainly wouldn't be allowed in D2-6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

TBF its not up there for looking at the view, its doing its job and unfortunately some people might get a bit put out by it.

I definitely have to disagree with you on that point. We have 2 Garda stations within 5 mins drive of where we live so how can a copper chopper be the quickest first response? How long does it take a helicopter to get up in the air and over to a particular area? I'm guessing a lot longer than a few squad cars coming in two different directions. If there's no response advantage then surely it's a waste of money and resources. When there has been real trouble around here the chopper isn't flying around but about 20 Garda cars, marked and unmarked, will be here in minutes.

That chopper is used to let the skangers know they're being watched. I was told this by a guard and based on the type of response during real trouble I'd well believe it.

It certainly wouldn't be allowed in D2-6.

Eh... We're D6 here.

I lived in Limerick for 18 months beside Southill first and then beside Garryowen, well used to sirens etc.. Found it too quiet when I moved here first! South Dublin living is making me soft :pac: I'm probably just extra sensitive to my sleep being disturbed as I'm just off night-duty. I most likely wouldn't have heard it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It certainly wouldn't be allowed in D2-6.

This type of comment is unhelpful, please don't do it again. We don't allow "Area -v- Area" remarks here.

I definitely have to disagree with you on that point. We have 2 Garda stations within 5 mins drive of where we live so how can a copper chopper be the quickest first response? How long does it take a helicopter to get up in the air and over to a particular area? I'm guessing a lot longer than a few squad cars coming in two different directions. If there's no response advantage then surely it's a waste of money and resources. When there has been real trouble around here the chopper isn't flying around but about 20 Garda cars, marked and unmarked, will be here in minutes.

That chopper is used to let the skangers know they're being watched. I was told this by a guard and based on the type of response during real trouble I'd well believe it.

I am from and still live in Ballyfermot so I know what your saying but afaik the chopper is not called out on a first response,its called out when the people have fled the scene or if the garda cars are losing someone in a car chase and the said chooper can give an overview in where to direct the garda on the ground.

realies wrote: »
    I am from and still live in Ballyfermot so I know what your saying but afaik the chopper is not called out on a first response,its called out when the people have fled the scene or if the garda cars are losing someone in a car chase and the said chooper can give an overview in where to direct the garda on the ground.
    Wow the skangers must be quite an active bunch then judging on how often the chopper is up there! :)

Des wrote: »
    This type of comment is unhelpful, please don't do it again. We don't allow "Area -v- Area" remarks here.

Sorry!

Wow the skangers must be quite an active bunch then judging on how often the chopper is up there! :)

100% :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I live right beside Cathal Brugha barracks in Rathmines and it always seemed to fly right over our apartment and land in the barracks. I always presumed it was an army helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

whiskeyman wrote: »

Never mind your poncy northside. I live on the west side. It's unusual when there's no Garda helicopter here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dont forget the leafy charlemont street flats are virtually ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm glad the Garda Helicopters (there's two of them btw so stop saying Garda chopper) are up there looking for the scum who are the scourge of our society
    and they aren't called in as a first response,so distance from your Garda station doesn't come into it
    they are there because the thermal camera can find scum who have gone to ground and are in hiding
    good work lads