Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a good deal for secondhand 8'4 minimal...?

Options
  • 26-10-2011 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

board any good for this price.........?
    http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/surfboard-bic-magnum-8-4-galway/1038224

I have a 7'3 bic minimal which I'm still not finding easy to get up on since I'm 6ft+ maybe. borrowed the above board off someone randomly one day a while back and found it much better. I can see this board has plenty of wear but figured that the bic minimals can maybe take a bit more abuse than most boards? ...I know it's different than seeing it first hand but just wondering what anyone makes of it going by the pics?

additional info from question answered by the seller further down the ad.....
    the damage to the board does not affect its performance, and because it is made of plastic there is no danger of leaking as the plastic is not broken just compressed. the ding on the rail is noticable but could be filled if you wanted. apart from that there are various small scracthes but noting more than could be expected from a board that has been used a lot. i m not in any rush to sell and i think this price is pretty fair.i m open to reasonable offers.

won't be turning pro any time soon eitherway, just wouldn't mind getting a big board at a decent price.
    really appreciate thoughts and opinions from anyone here.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Most bics I've seen go between €120-180 so it's not a bad deal. Once you improve you'll want to move down from an 8'4 or invest in a longboard depending on what you're after, so if you're willing to spend €150 on another board why not spend it on lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've alway hated the bic 7-3 it's to small for most people you need to be very light to surf it well. The bic 8'4 is made for a bigger lad so you will get on much better. I'd snap it up if I were you. As for getting lessons, don't spend 150 on lessons and not get the board you will still have the bic 7-3. Buy the 8-4 and sell the 7-3 it's perfect for a kid or a light girl. The spend the money towards a trip to the sun or on lessons bettere suit... and get more time in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah the bic 7 3 is an odd one alright.
    check the damaged areas very carefully, if there is a crack even tiny in the plastic shell and you can see into the foam, run!
    seriously this construction is only repairable with very expensive equipment and isn't something a local shaper or repair guy could do. i went through this with another bic.
    if you can get for 100 notes i'd snap it up for sure, they're a nice board easy to paddle and you'll learn a lot more on something big like this than struggling. i see plenty of good surfers with years of experience and plenty of fancy boards still taking out a bic from time to time so you might hang onto this for a long time making it great value. it's a no brainer for me once you know the shell is intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cyber veg

cheers chaps. much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Would ya not go the full hog and get yourself a second hand log at this stage

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    Would ya not go the full hog and get yourself a second hand log at this stage

well hoping to move down to a smaller board after so would the big log really make sense...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't understand,

You want to move to a shorter board but you are moving from a 7'3 to 8'4. So after your 8'4 I guess your next board will be ....7'3:D (only messin')

If you find the 8'4 easier then think what 9' - 10' would be like.

FlashD wrote: »
    I don't understand,

You want to move to a shorter board but you are moving from a 7'3 to 8'4. So after your 8'4 I guess your next board will be ....7'3:D (only messin')

If you find the 8'4 easier then think what 9' - 10' would be like.

well my thinking was that big is good starting out for catching waves but that maybe I wouldn't learn to manoeuvre so well on a very big longboard. I'm only a novice, but 8'4 just seemed a good size for beginner to intermediate phase.

that and the fact that the few 9ft+ boards I'd seen were all way more expensive.

........good reasoning or not so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Unfortunately you can't learn to manoeuvre a board unless you're catching waves so it's a catch 22, from my experience I found the longboard easier to learn to turn as it was stable platform not moving all over the place.

If you're a novice then you are going to learn best on small, slow soft waves, to catch these a longboard is best. At this stage you'll only be hammered in the big stuff which is fun for a while but eventually can start getting a bit frustrating.

yeah I just hoped 8'4 might be a good happy-medium size that i can progress with. plan is to keep blaming all the different boards I try before finally conceding that I might just be very bad at surfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭keryl

I say go for the 8'4 to get confidence and ride it to death, then you have the 7'3 if you didn't sell to move down to. Just out of curiosity, why did you buy a 7'3? or was it a present. If not was it a surf shop that advised you?

I bought the 7'3 minimal because it was a nice price really. looked brand new and got it for €100. knew i wanted a minimal starting out but just didn't research size enough at the time

Advertisement