Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable hotspot on 3 all you can eat data.

Options
  • 26-10-2011 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

So basically my internet is down for a month or so and I am using my phone as a portable hotspot for the broadband,is there a dongle I can just plug my sim into?My phone is htc desire hd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Flash Cyanogenmod to your phone, or root it and get tethering app in the Android Market.
    You'll get loads of information on these things in the Android sub forum.

Cyanogenmod.com is your best bet, and it's a good piece of kit. Works as wireless or USB tethering.

Edit: didn't read that right. No, there's not, as far as I know. And, if you did you can probably be sure that your account would be cut off or limited. Tethering on PAYG is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

should have said i am on cyanogenmod,im just trying to get better signal.Some times the signal goes and speeds drops then it gets pure fast,is there sometihng I can do to prevent from dropping connection and keep the speed up.

BTW thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Try this. It has worked for me.

*#*#4636#*#* - Phone Information - Set preferred network type - WCDMA Only

This will make your phone only use high speed mobile network signals, so with data on you'll at least get 3G, if not HSDPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

tried that and didnt really work it just sat there with full bars ans no 3g or hsdpa.resotored the phone and its working again,any other ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've always used my 3 PAYG phone sim in an unlocked Vodafone dongle I have and have never had a problem with 3, it may be against their terms and conditions but they don't appear to enforce it.

If you try to get one of the dongles available with a connection for an external antenna you can pick up an antenna on ebay such as this one. Be careful to get the antenna connectors that correspond to your dongle there are various different ones in use.

There are higher gain directional antennas available also but will cost more.

And don't blame me if 3 decide to enforce the no tethering rules on you! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Toggle airplane mode to get network working. Known issue with that network where it will sit there with 5 bars of signal but internets wont work till reset. Leave a "ping -t 8.8.8.8" running in console to keep network active, if it goes idle you might need to reset again.

Advertisement