Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating a Shell costs

Options
  • 26-10-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I just looked at a shell tonight. It is a 2 up 2 down of 70sqm, probably 100+ years old terrace house. The estate agent said it needs everything done. By that we're talking insulation, plumbing, re-wiring, new floors, new roof, absolutely everything that you could think of.

I know I need to hire a QS and a structural engineer to find out if this is worth proceeding. But before outlaying money I'm looking to get a ballpark to see if the figures stack up vis a vis just buying a finished 2 bed in the same area.

I know it is a 'how long is a piece of string' and also that choices I make in the process, such as the grade of insulation, type of floor, etc can vastly inflate the outlay.

But I am just looking at guide prices of per sqm of what one could expect such a project to take. I'm working on an assumption that the roof would have to be completely rebuilt with new slates, rafters, attic etc as well as all the other work.

If someone could give me a ballpark range of what a job like this might come in at I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

RATM wrote: »
    I just looked at a shell tonight. It is a 2 up 2 down of 70sqm, probably 100+ years old terrace house. The estate agent said it needs everything done. By that we're talking insulation, plumbing, re-wiring, new floors, new roof, absolutely everything that you could think of.

I know I need to hire a QS and a structural engineer to find out if this is worth proceeding. But before outlaying money I'm looking to get a ballpark to see if the figures stack up vis a vis just buying a finished 2 bed in the same area.

I know it is a 'how long is a piece of string' and also that choices I make in the process, such as the grade of insulation, type of floor, etc can vastly inflate the outlay.

But I am just looking at guide prices of per sqm of what one could expect such a project to take. I'm working on an assumption that the roof would have to be completely rebuilt with new slates, rafters, attic etc as well as all the other work.

If someone could give me a ballpark range of what a job like this might come in at I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I looked at a similar size/condition property for a client the other day and totted up the costs (back of fag box), we got to circa 50g.. alot depends on whether its a home for you, or a speculative venture... remeber you'll have fees to consider for engineer & arch + scaffolding supporting adjoining buildings, deal with dampness, and separating Foul and surface drainage etc.. all before you get the shell closed up, joists in place and roof on. + stairs, heat,elec & plumbing, kitchen, wc's. windows, possibly external insulation, all the floors/boards and finishings, details at ground, roof and windows to get right, windows/drs & if its a 2up'2down the first thing you'll do when you start the renovations is think about opening up the rear ground floor to enlarge the kitchen/dining space...

Advertisement