Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs blowing regularly?

• 26-10-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm having problems with bulbs blowing constantly all over my house. I might only only get a month out of a GU10 downlighter (and the one beside it could last ages?) and the problem doesn't seem to be localised to any particular area-they could go anywhere. Also,have 4 outside wall mounted lights that just use ordinary screw bulbs (60W-100W) and they take the biscuit altogether! 2 weeks max out of a bulb! I want to switch the downlighters to low wattge ones but don't want to do this until the problem is fixed what with the price of them.
    Somebody suggested i could have an earth problem? House is about 30 years old.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

could be voltage spikes, do you live close to an esb transformer?

if 1 esb transformer is supplying a long row of houses the voltage at the first house will be larger than the voltage at the last house.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

GU10 halogens have always been known for a short life span I would never use GU10 fittings on a job anymore unless I was using LED lamps.
    If i was you I wouldnt change to low voltage but instead just change your gu10 lamps to LED.Not only is there less effort and cost involved but they will last a lot longer than even the low voltage lamps.

I have the very same problem as you in my own house and i switched all the gu10 halogens to LED`s and I havent had one blow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

400R wrote: »
    Hi,
    Also,have 4 outside wall mounted lights that just use ordinary screw bulbs (60W-100W) and they take the biscuit altogether! 2 weeks max out of a bulb!
    Are the ones outside getting wet? If a hot bulb gets a splash of cold water on it, that will cause them to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

I just read the OP again and realised you said "low wattage" not "low voltage":o so most of my first post is void....

But like I said before my house was having the same problems as you and I changed to the LED`s and I havent had any problems since so its definatly worth the investment...3w is alot less than 50w.Just be aware if you have dimmers as most standard led`s cant be dimmed.
    Also you could get an electrician to check everything out to give you peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭400R

evosteo wrote: »
    could be voltage spikes, do you live close to an esb transformer?

if 1 esb transformer is supplying a long row of houses the voltage at the first house will be larger than the voltage at the last house.

Nope-not near a transformer.
    paddymick wrote: »
    I just read the OP again and realised you said "low wattage" not "low voltage":o so most of my first post is void....

But like I said before my house was having the same problems as you and I changed to the LED`s and I havent had any problems since so its definatly worth the investment...3w is alot less than 50w.Just be aware if you have dimmers as most standard led`s cant be dimmed.
    Also you could get an electrician to check everything out to give you peace of mind.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah i plan to switch to LED's alright. Just need to bite the bullet-i keep ending up with a 6 pack of GU10's so there's always a spare! Need to just make the switch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement