Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfire - 2nd card seems to be idle

Options
  • 26-10-2011 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I have crossfire enabled.
    Have tried 11.9 , 11.10v2 and the new 11.10 v3 and also the 11.9 Cap3 drivers , and different CCC's......however although crossfire is enabled, and under hardware shows as linked....I can't seem to get it to work properly...well....at least that's how it seems.

When changing the cards fan speed, it never changes, you can clearly hear the sound on the 1st card when it is changed, but not the 2nd.

GPU / Memory Clock and Temp all show as 0 ...which can't be correct

Can anyone advise as to a way to get it working, I've checked the net but can't find a decent solution

Cards are 2 x HD6870

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Update -

managed to find it was related to a EnableUlps setting in the registry. Which if all are set to 0 disables the power saving mode and I can then mess around with the card as a normal one

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Have you tried actually playing a game?
    I mean in CCC my 2nd card will show 0% and the fan will remain on auto but once I go into a game it kicks in.
    Use MSI Afterburner or Radeon Pro to give you an ingame display showing the usage of your two cards.

Edit* Yeah doing the ULPS will fix that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know how to get the second card to register in HWmonitor? mine doesn't show up at all and it bugs me occasionally.

they also spin up a lot while playing minecraft, which I thought would be unnecessary. never bothered to check temps while playing though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    anyone know how to get the second card to register in HWmonitor? mine doesn't show up at all and it bugs me occasionally.

they also spin up a lot while playing minecraft, which I thought would be unnecessary. never bothered to check temps while playing though.

What sort of mods and texture packs are you running? My single 6870 doesn't even hit 25% load on minecraft with a x256 pack. No eyecandy mods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

deconduo wrote: »
    What sort of mods and texture packs are you running? My single 6870 doesn't even hit 25% load on minecraft with a x256 pack. No eyecandy mods though.
    no mods at all :o
    tbh, i havent actually checked what they run at cause when i actually get a minute in front of my PC its seldom to game so i just sneak on a bit of minecraft on the side. My server is acting up too and Cherry Enderman suggested a fix that i havent even gotten time to test yet. the lads who play on the server arent too happy though :D

they're just very loud i guess. each card has 2x 120mm(?) fans so CF'd has quite the affect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Have you tried actually playing a game?
    I mean in CCC my 2nd card will show 0% and the fan will remain on auto but once I go into a game it kicks in.
    Use MSI Afterburner or Radeon Pro to give you an ingame display showing the usage of your two cards.

Edit* Yeah doing the ULPS will fix that too.

I'll try that MSI thing thanks :D workin atm anyways, but would be cool to see ingame performance

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

It's pretty neat, I only installed it last night to try fix my own crossfire issues (low usage on the two cards basically).
    You can customise it to show usage %, GPU temps, FPS, Fan speed etc...
    Also is meant to be the best program for overclocking ATI cards I think.

Advertisement